LegacyGT.com

Next-Gen WRX gets 2.0L turbo FA20

WraithAkaMrak

Next-Gen Subaru WRX to Get Turbo 2.0-Liter Targeting 270 hp (Motor Trend)

A spokesperson at Subaru of America just confirmed that the next generation Subaru WRX will receive a turbocharged 2.0-liter flat-four engine with a targeted output of 270 horsepower. This engine will be a turbocharged variant of the FA20 engine found in the recently-released 2013 Subaru BRZ we just drove in Japan. Although half a liter smaller in displacement than the current WRX’s 2.5-liter 265-horsepower engine, it looks as though the all new FA20 will make slightly more power. The FA20 turbo is a return to the car’s roots, of sorts; when the WRX made its American debut in 2001, it had a 2.0-liter turbo flat-four under the hood.

No word on when we can expect the next generation WRX, but past product cycle timing indicates sometime in 2012, as a 2013 model.

Nah, it's still going to look like a butched-up econobox, but what else is new.

Sleek and sultry is not the WRX's game plan.

But I like how it's reverted back to 2.0. Shows how they are keeping better pace with technology.

Goood, gooooood...now give the STi a 2.5l version with 350hp to kick some Audi RS3 ass.

I like this idea. I like Audis, but they're too expensive to own and maintain. I'd much rather have a poor-man's Audi made by Subaru with much better reliability.

They better still offer the 5 door hatch or 4 door wagon! i am curious as to why they aren't putting the FB20T in? from the press release? interesting though the FA20T will be awesome,especially with direct injection. Hopefully the price will be around $24,000-25,000 for a base model. I also hope they'll still use the rod actuated shifter,and not a cable one like in the legacy. The BRZ uses the same 6 speed as the one thats in the Lexus is250 supposedly but the BRZ is also based on the 4th gen legacy platform extremely shortened. Someone stated the 6speed was from a lex 250 but i dont know for sure still the BRZ looks cool but i dont see it selling too well. Hyundai is thinking about putting a turbo V6 into the gen coupe so we'll see what they do. The genesis looks great but i dont like the interior. The only coupe id buy would be a Porsche or a GTR,because coupes just aren't practical. The new WRX will be a winner,it will be lighter,faster,smaller and get better gas mileage than the current car. I love the current 11-12 styling of the hatch but the interior is just a love it/hate it deal. I want to see them go back to circular a/c vents like in the GD platform and a soft touch dash it should be very exciting cant wait.

They better still offer the 5 door hatch or 4 door wagon! i am curious as to why they aren't putting the FB20T in? from the press release? interesting though the FA20T will be awesome,especially with direct injection. Hopefully the price will be around $24,000-25,000 for a base model. I also hope they'll still use the rod actuated shifter,and not a cable one like in the legacy. The BRZ uses the same 6 speed as the one thats in the Lexus is250 supposedly but the BRZ is also based on the 4th gen legacy platform extremely shortened. Someone stated the 6speed was from a lex 250 but i dont know for sure still the BRZ looks cool but i dont see it selling too well. Hyundai is thinking about putting a turbo V6 into the gen coupe so we'll see what they do. The genesis looks great but i dont like the interior. The only coupe id buy would be a Porsche or a GTR,because coupes just aren't practical. The new WRX will be a winner,it will be lighter,faster,smaller and get better gas mileage than the current car. I love the current 11-12 styling of the hatch but the interior is just a love it/hate it deal. I want to see them go back to circular a/c vents like in the GD platform and a soft touch dash it should be very exciting cant wait.

SOA officially stated that they have yet to decide if the WRX is getting an FB or FA engine. The title is misleading. The BRZ is based off the GR Impreza. The Genesis coupe is getting a 271hp 2.0T and a 345 hp V6 with the refresh that's coming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wasnt Japan using ej 2l and they dont have problems with their engines but the US switched to ej 2.5 and we have the ringland problems. wasnt the jdm ej 2.0 much better then the ej 2.5 and held better boost throughout the rpms?? so 2.0 is the way to go?

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Was that before or after the confirmation above? Link? If someone wants to take the "FA20" portion out of the title, they can...

Right now there's an internal discussion wether to go FB or FA for turbo. Both are being looked at. We picked one for the LA show to communicate there will be A turbo on the books.

Dec 6th

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds very exciting! the FA is all new from the ground up does this mean that only the BRZ was made specifically for it though? the same with the FB which is also all new which debuted in the 12 forester. Will they be testing the Turbo FA vs FB? interesting i want to see a comparison of both the gas turbo and diesel turbo versions if they make them. SOA already said the 13-14 WRX will be more powerful than the current car and it will be lighter and will get better gas mileage. http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/next-wrx-could-get-cvt-auto-20111025-1mh4y.html some guy in Australia said the next WRX might also get a CVT transmission god i hope not!! keep it manual!!!!!!!

Great. More power.

Now maybe they can use what they learned developing the BRZ to make the new WRX not get walked all over by a V6 Mustang.

I see no brainer here, soon there will be a 2.0T BRZ, not sure if toyota wants that with their 86 but BRZ is confirmed a turbo version

do they have auto trans yet?

where is BAC? he needs this thread :lol:

It would be interesting to see the differences between the FA and FB.

Both seems to have chain driven cams, but what else? Is the FB actually an economy version of the FA?

FA is dual direct injected, square w/straight rods (I believe)

FB is port injected, undersquare w/dogbone rods

I see no brainer here, soon there will be a 2.0T BRZ

Are you sure about that? I had heard there were a whole bunch of issues with trying to turbo the BRZ because of how far back into the firewall they mounted the motor for weight distribution.

Anyway, my fingers are crossed for a supercharger instead of a turbo.

Am I the only person here who would rather keep the extra half liter of displacement?

I right there with you its a reason they went from the EJ205\7 to the EJ255\7

Yes direct injection is great but the EJ25 was a damn/is a damn good engine the FA has a smaller bore and long stroke (you know that whole not wasting fuel on cold starts BS) but a 2.0L only can do but so much it will have the same exhaust manifold as the BM so im sure EL funboys can rest assured that UEL is dead

It would be interesting to see the differences between the FA and FB.

Both seems to have chain driven cams, but what else? Is the FB actually an economy version of the FA?

There is a lot of bad information on the FA and FB i read post saying the FA has 12.5:1 CR HA what are they expecting us to run c16 or CAm2 110 :lol:

However the FB and FA both have injector in head fuel injection, chain driven cams, and roller rockers.

Thats about it the FA isn't to the FB like the EJ22E is to the EJ22T or rather the EJ25D to the EJ255

I right there with you its a reason they went from the EJ205\7 to the EJ255\7

Yes direct injection is great but the EJ25 was a damn/is a damn good engine the FA has a smaller bore and long stroke (you know that whole not wasting fuel on cold starts BS) but a 2.0L only can do but so much it will have the same exhaust manifold as the BM so im sure EL funboys can rest assured that UEL is dead

The longer stroke is to get better torque in the lower rpm range which will improve the fuel consumption. And fuel consumption figures has been one of the main complaints around here. Add to that the CAFE rules also pushing for better fuel economy.

We will probably see the FA/FB and EE engines developing during the coming years while the EJ engines will be phased out together with the stepped AT gearboxes.

453747.png

Archived