LegacyGT.com

Need some impressions of this LGT...built motor...

Been watching for an LGT for some time and came across this and wanted to get some impressions of the mods owner has performed. I have done quite a bit with the WRX platform but am a bit new to built engines...At his asking price I could still afford to throw a new shortblock in if need be.

Here are the details of his write up on the car...

The body and transmission has 110k miles. Limited package...He says the tune is at about 335whp, seems pretty conservative for the built block and that he did so for longevity. He said he is commuting more for work and wants something more fuel efficient. Block is warrantied by AZP Installs in NJ...

The motor was just recently rebuilt using :

- Wiseco forged pistons and rods

- ACL main and rod bearings

- Supertech valves

- Cylinder walls in the block resurfaced.

The motor has only 3k miles on it. The oil has been changed 3 times since the new motor was built. I also had a lot of other maintenance parts changed when I replaced the motor. Here is a list of what I put in. All of the following items also only have 3k miles on them.

- Blousch 380XT turbo,

- CNT downpipe and uppipe,

- Deatschworks 850cc injectors and fuel pump,

- Gates timing belt kit with water pump and thermostat,

- RacerX front mount inner cooler,

- Stainless turbo supply lines,

- KSTech 73mm intake,

- Perrin 3" turbo inlet,

- Perrin boost controller,

- Group N motor and transmission mounts,

- new oil pump and cooler,

- new cam gears,

- ACT HD clutch with single mass flywheel,

- NGK 1 step colder plugs

- Koni yellow adjustable sport struts

- Epic 3/4" drop springs.

I also have a cobb access port used for tuning the car, it has a state 4 tune by EFI Logic in CT.

Any impressions would be appreciated.

• Moderators

AZP Installs knows their shit. If they did the install / build I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a car if you are looking for something modified.

I'm sure you could give them a call at the shop to discuss the specific build, especially if it was done relatively recently.

Who tuned it?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

There is no stage 4 off-the-shelf tune from Cobb that I'm aware of. He is just using the AP to log / flash the tunes, but someone out there made a custom tune for the car--need to find out who.

EDIT: Just to be clear, using an AP on a legacy doesn't imply that you don't have a custom tune. I think it is the same for WRXs. You can certainly use the OTS maps, but I believe those only cover you up to a basic stage 2 setup. Once you go past that you need a custom tune whether you are using an AP or opensource.

mmmm...good beer up there!

For Sure. Bells and Founders are both local. Lots of Microbrews... :)

Am I ignorant to think I could run a built engine as a dd and expect some longevity and reliability? I don't drive like a bat outta hell. In all honesty I'm pretty easy on my car. I like having the power when I want it but would say that I was in boost with my WRX maybe three times a week.

• Moderators

It's a bit silly to think that you can have a modified car like that and have zero issues IMO. It could very well be a great DD, but you should know how to turn a wrench or two or at least have a pretty friendly mechanic that can diagnose things for you.

Honestly, if you only hit boost that often that car would just be crazy overkill. Don't know that it would be worth it for you.

A buddy and I put my 2.0l WRX to stage 3 and I would say that I'm fairly savvy. Too, I have the cash and the know how to put this back to stock if need be. It sounds like this was put together well, or I probably wouldn't even consider it...

• Moderators
A buddy and I put my 2.0l WRX to stage 3 and I would say that I'm fairly savvy. Too, I have the cash and the know how to put this back to stock if need be. It sounds like this was put together well, or I probably wouldn't even consider it...

Yeah, builder / tuner are top notch.

I'm debating on this or going for a stock set-up with similar mileage. I'd have to have a compression test done before I'd pull the trigger on a built motor. It does have a lot that I would do or want to.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/pa9aruqy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/07/py9ada8a.jpg

My only concern is why he'd be selling this after such a short time after building it up. The tune suggests he wanted longevity as this could surely handle more power which is reassuring. He also has the tools to do a compression/leak down test once I get there.

Edit: just spoke with owner again and he informed me this is eating oil. Looks like I'm holding out for the stock one.

Archived