LegacyGT.com

Starting engine after head gasket rebuild

Pull the plugs and fuel pump fuse, crank it over to build pressure. How long?

Or... Just start the damn car like normal.

Car has been sitting for a good 2 weeks while I took my time with this. Only went so far as the heads. Didn't touch crank or anything else.

"This is an adventure."

Plugs can stay in as long as the cylinders are clean and clear of coolant.

Fuel pump fuse is all that's needed to be removed, crank it over for about 10 seconds wait 30 sec and crank another 10 sec much longer and you will start to heat up the starter. Do that maybe 2,3 times and your good. Make sure to change your oil before starting to crank over, most likely coolant was in cylinder from head removal and went past rings into crank case.

Plugs can stay in as long as the cylinders are clean and clear of coolant.

Fuel pump fuse is all that's needed to be removed, crank it over for about 10 seconds wait 30 sec and crank another 10 sec much longer and you will start to heat up the starter. Do that maybe 2,3 times and your good. Make sure to change your oil before starting to crank over, most likely coolant was in cylinder from head removal and went past rings into crank case.

Thanks! And just to be clear, I can have the plugs in and wires connected? Cylinders were all cleaned before heads went on, and I think little if anything got down the bore as I had the engine pulled on a stand so I tilted the cylinders down as I was cleaning them and the heads.

"This is an adventure."

I suggest you leave fuel and everything hooked up. Pull the crank sensor (under the alt) and crank until the oil light goes out. Without crank sensor input, it'll do everything except start.

Once light is out, reconnect sensor and start car as normal.

Take out fuel pump fuse, or just hold throttle open 100% (this disables the injectors) and unplug crank sensor on oil pump. Crank for 10 seconds and plug it back in, start it up.

Taking out plugs and all that is only when rebuilding a engine, to keep pressure out of the cylinders when priming the engine of oil, so there is no load on the engine bearings.

Actually, there's even another trick to build oil pressure, by having the engine cranking without actually starting it. And it does not require any fuse to be pulled: press clutch pedal to the floor AND gas pedal the floor (WOT). Engine will just keep cranking and not start.

My car sat for 3 months. Two weeks ago, I had to start it and wanted to build oil pressure. I did that and it worked like a charm :).

Actually, there's even another trick to build oil pressure, by having the engine cranking without actually starting it. And it does not require any fuse to be pulled: press clutch pedal to the floor AND gas pedal the floor (WOT). Engine will just keep cranking and not start.

My car sat for 3 months. Two weeks ago, I had to start it and wanted to build oil pressure. I did that and it worked like a charm :).

beat me to it dammit! lol tried it myself not to long ago,worked like a charm!

Thanks everyone. Pulled the crank sensor until light went went off and image fires right up! Got pretty scared when I saw a bunch of smoke but realized it was just residual oil burning off everything lol.
"This is an adventure."

Thanks everyone. Pulled the crank sensor until light went went off and image fires right up! Got pretty scared when I saw a bunch of smoke but realized it was just residual oil burning off everything lol.

It takes a couple of minutes for your heart rate to go down when that happens. . .

Archived