LegacyGT.com

08 5eat Rallitek trans Bushing + 2-3 Shift Shock

underground000

Didnt want to bump the original Rallitek thread from a year ago...

Does anyone with a 08 have the Rallitek Comfort/Race bushing (I have comfort) installed and have the 2-3 shift shock? Apart from the 2-3 shift shock bulletin, it does not make sense for this bushing to only affect 1 gear change right? Unless tcu does shift differently in that gear

Some info: I had this bushing installed for a little over a year. Last springs I noticed 2-3 upshifts were getting harsh. Then more harsh then more harsh. Even when I reset ecu (disconnect battery, press brakes...) It didnt go away. I went to dealership to get the 2-3 'shift shock' reflash. (I did have the old programming). Tech reflashed tcu, said ...shift shock is still there. Service manager said to drive and see how it feels, if I dont like it I can schedule an appointment for his transmission tech to take a look. It felt better after the reflash but now day 3 its coming back.

The best I can explain: Its not just a gear change feel its like kind of like a jerk forward, sometimes it makes a bang noise when it shifted to 3rd. There is no up rev or slipping I can feel or tell by the rpm gauge.

It happens at all rpms even at 2k rpm. At redline its not so bad but I think thats due to the higher load, but at 5500 you can feel it. Happens in auto or manual mode, no difference

I have a feeling if I bring it in the guy will take a look and says its the bushing causing the problems. (Since oem 'softens' the shifts). But I would say then how come it doesnt effect the other gears. And since I dont have a lift anymore or room in my garage I dont think I can remove the bushing w/out paying someone

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I have an 05 Legacy with the Rallitek transmission bushing installed. Since the install, I have noticed shift shock on the 2-3 shift. I am sure it has always been there, it is just more amplified now. It is just as you explain, it just slams right into gear without any slipping. This happens at any throttle position and above 2k rpm just as you noted. I have been thinking that the clutch packs were worn and slamming into gear, but I have a hard time believing that. My car has only 63,000 miles, stage 1 for 12,000-14,000 and the rest of the mods are suspension bits. This car was and is very very well taken care of. I really would like to go stage 2 but if this is from worn clutch packs than there is no way.

Is there a TCU reflash for the 05 models to correct the 2-3 shift shock?

Is there a TCU reflash for the 05 models to correct the 2-3 shift shock?

Not I can see from one website I use, I dont know how good it is since its not AllDATA or Mitchell

For me started with less than 20k miles and now I have 30k miles

I just may bring it in if they give me a loaner car

Have mine in since May. It is now 20 degrees outside as a high temp. the 2-3 shift shock is there, but only when the trans fluid is cold. Once up, it is smooth as silk. Some NVH is heard, but not much over stock. Shifts feel more firm, but it is still a 5EAT.

Did you by chance disconnect the battery before this started happening? I disconnected my battery this weekend and my shifts were noticeably firmer and the shift points changed a bit. I've put about 400 miles or so on the car since and it seems to be coming back to normal. I've heard that disconnecting the battery does not affect the TCU but not fro my recent experience.

my batter has been dissonnected so many times already, and I still have shift shock.

for ,the 08 the programming was flash in april and later cars. my car was built in april and still had old programming. i do not know a way to find what you have, dealer would know

My 08 has 32k miles, when the tranny is cold (below 30 degrees), 2-3 shifts are jolty, yes. As it warms it's a smoother shift. 2-3 seems to be the weirdest shift for the tranny, even in manual mode there's more of a delay than the other gears.

Thanks guys, the answers I was looking for. looks like Ill bring it in then...

Get a BG flush done. My shifting is considerably smoother since getting one earlier this week. It might fix/help your problem. Certainly couldn't hurt.

I would but if it doesnt completely fix the problem then I feel like I wasted the money, money is tight right now... I was planning on flushing with AMSoil when I have enough saved

None here. My 5EAT is still limping along with a clapped out torque converter. Mom put 15k on it in the last 3 months in OEM trim.

that's what happened with your 5eat when you were doing the 16g? the TQ converter went?

sorry for the OT

Yes. It engages fine at stock power levels. When we gave it the juice, it would not lock up properly. Would sit and stall at around 4000rpm for scary long amounts of time. Like 5-10 seconds while at WOT.

What do you mean by sit and stall??

As in the revs would stop climbing even though the pedal was WOT?

Yes. WOT and rpm stalls at around 4k. Just sits there and the car does nothing. Then all the sudden it starts to climb and pull. No dip in RPM. No wild rise to redline. Just sit at WOT and nothing.

Start the run at 2k and the car climbs normally. Hit 3600-4k and wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, oh, there it goes we are accelerating again. Thanks for laying down the power tranny.

Yes. WOT and rpm stalls at around 4k. Just sits there and the car does nothing. Then all the sudden it starts to climb and pull. No dip in RPM. No wild rise to redline. Just sit at WOT and nothing.

Start the run at 2k and the car climbs normally. Hit 3600-4k and wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, oh, there it goes we are accelerating again. Thanks for laying down the power tranny.

That's a bummer. Sory that your 5eat took a crap on yah.

I always had my suspicions about the 5EAT in my 2008. The 2005 5EAT I owned previously held much better, shifted more precisely and firmly, and behaved entirely differently. It really made the car different. I loved my 2005. I did not feel the same about my 2008. When it went, I was not surprised.

I was seriously looking into trading it in for a 2011. But I also thought there was a market for parts for the 5th gen LGT. I am losing my shirt on inventory for 5th gens that I bought for Christmas sales. No interest. So, now I am eyeing a 2011 STi if I can get funding together. I love the new wide body and wing on the 4 door.

No shift shock for me unless I try to get it to do it. I have to shift just right at around 2300rpms with a moderate amount of throttle, sometimes it bangs the gear so hard it's as if someone just hit the underdash with a steel-toed boot. Never does it in Sport or Auto, just manual and only if I try to get it to do it.

ATF flush would be my first stop. I have not owned an auto car which did NOT get slammy with gears when the ATF was spent. Wife's auto was night and day after a flush, new tranny altogether.

Archived