LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 2008 Legacy 3.0r but have some concerns...

Hey everyone, I just got a 2008 legacy 3.0r today and after putting about 350 miles (yes, i traveled far to get it) I have noticed some things that concern me. I tried to search but didnt find anything specific to my concerns. My first is the engine seems to rev up a little when I turn my wheel. I have never driven a car that does this so maybe thats just how it is but it seems odd. With that I have noticed while parking sometimes the car jumps forward. I think its right after I turn the wheel but I didnt think of that until I started writing this post so I will check it tomorrow. Is this normal? Also sometimes the transmissions seems to be a bit jumpy (or sloppy) when it shifts. Not exactly sure how to describe it but it just isn't smooth. The car only has 16k mi so I am really hoping these are just normal things. I have owned manual cars for the 5 years so maybe I am just not used to the automatic. Other than that the car is awesome. I really hope these aren't major issues. Its a CPO and I declined the extended plan through SOA but maybe I can add it tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

The engine revving up is your power steering kicking in. As for the sloppy shifting, it's due to a weak torque converter I believe. I've noticed it with mine as well and I'm pretty sure it can be fixed under warranty although I haven't contacted the dealer about this yet. Probably going to within the next few weeks to get a few minor warranty work issues taken care of so I'll let you know how it goes.

my car does the exact same .. there is a pressure sensor on the rack and pinion as 90% of cars have that raise idel when turning the steering. normal jsut so it doesn't stall .. same as the idle raises when the ac kicks on.

now what your saing aboot the car lurching headhead or back is also normal .. any person with a 5 eat can reproduce this by driving in a tight circle leave wheels cranked 1 way and then put into park. the car will move aboot 1/2" this is because the center diffrential is being disengaged. when you turn with your car the front wheels have to travel more than the rear wheels thus the need for a center diffrential. so when you turn the system binds it self up a tiny bit and when you put it in park it will relax it self.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

my car does the exact same .. there is a pressure sensor on the rack and pinion as 90% of cars have that raise idel when turning the steering. normal jsut so it doesn't stall .. same as the idle raises when the ac kicks on.

now what your saing aboot the car lurching headhead or back is also normal .. any person with a 5 eat can reproduce this by driving in a tight circle leave wheels cranked 1 way and then put into park. the car will move aboot 1/2" this is because the center diffrential is being disengaged. when you turn with your car the front wheels have to travel more than the rear wheels thus the need for a center diffrential. so when you turn the system binds it self up a tiny bit and when you put it in park it will relax it self.

What do you mean disengaged? Our differentials aren't locking diffs. All automatic vehicles will travel a bit when you put them in park. It's the vehicle coming to rest on the parking pin.

Am I missing something here? The outside wheel travel more than the inside wheels. The tires on each side follow the same track, it has nothing to do with front to back. The right front travels the same distance as the right rear. This distance is less than the distance traveled by the inside wheels.

What do you mean disengaged? Our differentials aren't locking diffs. All automatic vehicles will travel a bit when you put them in park. It's the vehicle coming to rest on the parking pin.

Am I missing something here? The outside wheel travel more than the inside wheels. The tires on each side follow the same track, it has nothing to do with front to back. The right front travels the same distance as the right rear. This distance is less than the distance traveled by the inside wheels.

when turning into a parking spot ! ..

and the parking pawl in only on the front diff..

but there is puting it into park an it taking its place .. then 3 seocnds later the car moves a little bit more.

Jumps ? As in jumping jack ? Back flip? Olympic jump?

Well that's a diffrent issue it's doing a harsh shift witch is fine for the car just annoying to the driver

What you can do is give more throttle just before the shift or let off and shift it up manually

when turning into a parking spot ! ..

and the parking pawl in only on the front diff..

but there is puting it into park an it taking its place .. then 3 seocnds later the car moves a little bit more.

What about turning into a spot? This has no affect on the distance traveled. The outside wheels follow each other and so do the insides. There is no correlation between front and back, only side-to-side.

Parking pawl on the front diff? Could you explain what that means? All we have is an open front diff.

What about turning into a spot? This has no affect on the distance traveled. The outside wheels follow each other and so do the insides. There is no correlation between front and back, only side-to-side.

Parking pawl on the front diff? Could you explain what that means? All we have is an open front diff.

When turning the rear wheel follows the front?

From what your saying 4wd trucks should be full time locked!

The is no use for a center diff in any Subaru!

You have never scuffed the back rim on a curb? While the front one is 3 feet away?

The rear wheels always cut the corner take a shorter distance people will notice this with 5 eat turning on gravel and accelerating the inside rear wheel scuffs the gravel just a bit.

Parking pawl is the lock pin when you put the car into park and it's on the front shaft that turns the front diff when you place your car into park the front diff gets locked into that position. The two front wheels can only rotate opposite directions from each other at that point +- the clearance in the parking pin. The rear wheels and rear diff are allowed to free rotate after aboot 3 seconds when the center diff clutch is released.

When turning the rear wheel follows the front?

From what your saying 4wd trucks should be full time locked!

The is no use for a center diff in any Subaru!

You have never scuffed the back rim on a curb? While the front one is 3 feet away?

The rear wheels always cut the corner take a shorter distance people will notice this with 5 eat turning on gravel and accelerating the inside rear wheel scuffs the gravel just a bit.

Parking pawl is the lock pin when you put the car into park and it's on the front shaft that turns the front diff when you place your car into park the front diff gets locked into that position. The two front wheels can only rotate opposite directions from each other at that point +- the clearance in the parking pin. The rear wheels and rear diff are allowed to free rotate after aboot 3 seconds when the center diff clutch is released.

How did I saw that 4WD trucks are always full lock? If a 4WD vehicle is at full lock (the diffs locked, in 4wd,) you will notice binding when you make a turn because the inside wheel can't slip at all.

If two objects are on a fixed body, they will follow the same path. Even though that rear wheel has hit the curb, the front would hit it too if you kept driving. The front will follow the path of the rear if they are on the same plane.

On a hard left turn the right rear wheel will always turn less than the front wheels (with the right front wheel turning more than the other three). It's geometry. Put a pin in a board (the right rear wheel), attach a looped string to it (the car) and a pencil to the opposite end of the string (the right front wheel). Swing the pencil the left and you'll see that while the string will turn around the pin, the arc is much greater at the right front wheel location. Same thing with our cars. It's also why our rear tires don't follow the same track as the front wheels on a turn, they're turning inside of the front wheel track.

And the 5EAT does require some warm-up and is why it holds a gear longer when it's colder. Once it reaches it's op temp, everything smooths out. Best to just leave it in normal and let it work the kinks out itself.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

On a hard left turn the right rear wheel will always turn less than the front wheels (with the right front wheel turning more than the other three). It's geometry. Put a pin in a board (the right rear wheel), attach a looped string to it (the car) and a pencil to the opposite end of the string (the right front wheel). Swing the pencil the left and you'll see that while the string will turn around the pin, the arc is much greater at the right front wheel location. Same thing with our cars. It's also why our rear tires don't follow the same track as the front wheels on a turn, they're turning inside of the front wheel track.

And the 5EAT does require some warm-up and is why it holds a gear longer when it's colder. Once it reaches it's op temp, everything smooths out. Best to just leave it in normal and let it work the kinks out itself.

I never looked at it this way. My geometry must be a bit rusty, heh. I'll take this one as a lesson learned in geometry.

How would this situation play out if it wasn't a hard right turn? I notice you specifically stated that. How would the path of the right rear be affected in a normal turn? I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand everything.

It really doesn't matter if it's a hard turn or not. Angle the wheels (change lanes, or just bump the steering wheel while the car is moving) and the outside rear wheel will always track inside that side's front wheel. The inside rear wheel will track to outside of it's corresponding front tire.

And 4wd trucks are almost never full lock only lock between front and rear diffs

Some have rear LSD. Very few have locking rear diff. And maybe 1 or two with locking front diff like a unimog.

And 4wd trucks are almost never full lock only lock between front and rear diffs

Some have rear LSD. Very few have locking rear diff. And maybe 1 or two with locking front diff like a unimog.

Correct, I know Porsche, VW and Toyota offer locking rear diffs.

Mercedes G500, the Wrangler Rubicon and the Hummers are the only ones I can think of off hand with locking fronts on them.

^ and those 4WD systems are typically air or mechanical, not full-time locked - you can imagine the consequences were they full-time on dry pavement.

But back OT, seems like the OP's issues are worth getting checked by the dealer.

Archived