LegacyGT.com

Door Handle broke

Max Capacity

My drivers door handle broke today. I did a search and found this in the interior forum

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/outside-door-latch-and-inside-door-handle-broken-156638.html

If you have the service manual for a 05 you want to check out pages 4787 and 4873.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wondered how long the handles would hold up. Seems there's been a lot of handle breakage this year alone... some breakage due to extreme cold and I could understand that, but 5-6 year service life? Not encouraged.

BOT - replaced all of the wiper blades in anticipation of Hurricane/Tropical Storm action.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

mine broke during the winter such a pita same thing drivers exterior where the actuator rod connects to the cheap plastic handle. Its bs they dont come painted, guess when the first run of replacement parts for the cars did come painted but once they ran out they only offered it unpainted black.

• 2 weeks later...
Fak! You guys are making me think I should buy and paint all 4 handles to replace as needed, even though only one broke. It's gonna suck to have a freshly painted door handle when basically every body colour panel on the car needs paint and I can't afford to have them all done.

When I bought my car last year it had a broken handle... It was part of the deal to replace it, and then of course they made a SMALL batch of paint and did not use enough base color so it almost looks green due to the amount of pearl accents in it.

Some of them break due to a user trying to open a frozen shut door in the winter... Max's I'm sure was due to just age because of the time of breakage.

You think that design is bad though... Try opening a beretta door when its frozen... Almost guaranteed handle sheer... lol

Mine broke last winter and I finally got around to ordering my handle... It arrived on Tuesday in the unpainted black form, but I'm trying to find the cheapest place to get it painted without it looking like complete crap.

good luck with that... Anything with a pearl in it is going to be stupid expensive and for the reason I described... if they don't try to bypass it like they did with mine, paint machines post a warning when mixing the paint for a min quantity to get the right parts and color mix... and even that is around min of 75 bux sometimes and well over whats needed to do the handle.

I had my cousin requote me to re-paint my handle since I was not impressed with the paint mixed correctly in the right quantity and IIRC it was about $150 in materials if you follow the mixing guide. So get some extra made and spray the whole front of the car... LOL

Archived