LegacyGT.com

SPT Parts update...

[quote name='axis008']Excellent news! Can you provide us with a glimpse of what parts will be available? Or do I have to wait two weeks? I don't want to wait. :)[/quote] I will say you can expect to see many of the items that are availible already for the other models, and more is still in development. :D

Addendum: Apparently the suspension on the JDM's is different from the USDM and the parts are not cross-compatable...working on an Eibach sourced spring package and a center pocket mounted turbo gauge pack to add to the SPT parts list by year-end...certain other compatable items from the JDM STi catalog have been "suggested" for import....we'll see...

[quote name='Opie']Addendum: Apparently the suspension on the JDM's is different from the USDM and the parts are not cross-compatable...working on an Eibach sourced spring package and a center pocket mounted turbo gauge pack to add to the SPT parts list by year-end...certain other compatable items from the JDM STi catalog have been "suggested" for import....we'll see...[/quote] Fingers crossed on all this stuff, but especially that the gauge pack won't be a pathetic second-thought, but rather the can-line Defi BF gauges calibrated for imperial measurements. Hell, I wouldn't care if they were metric, as long as they are excellent quality, and match the dash gauges the way the Defi BFs do.

I think they need to import quite a few things from the JDM market. I don't understand the hesitation in offering all these parts to the USDM market. Obviously suspension goodies and such are not going to work, but there are many of us who are nuts about gadgets, especially ones for our new cars.. we are the biggest market in the world.. it would cost them nothing to offer them to us through a special order with a dealer.. Subaru Marketing is sometimes not on top of things.

Don't get me started on the cars, motorcycles, gadgets, options, etc. that aren't available to us, in the largest, free-est, most influential economy on the planet. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, maybe individual items have their reasons for not making it here, but on the whole, it is crazy.

I'm wondering what causes the suspension pieces to be incompatible. Somehow I don't trust a set of Eibach springs to be as good as some STi engineered pieces. I was hoping for a full SPT or STi suspension to be available, though that would sure be nice as a factory option instead separate aftermarket parts.

[quote name='PPower']I'm wondering what causes the suspension pieces to be incompatible. Somehow I don't trust a set of Eibach springs to be as good as some STi engineered pieces. I was hoping for a full SPT or STi suspension to be available, though that would sure be nice as a factory option instead separate aftermarket parts.[/quote] If you put STi springs for a JDM car on a USDM car, the differences in strut valving might lead to an oversprung, kind of crappy ride. I agree with you on the Eibach tip, but their springs for the Impreza seem to work very well, vs the Pro Kit stuff. A few people are looking at the Yahoo Japan auctions, to pick up Spec B stuff that way. Kevin

[quote name='PPower']I'm wondering what causes the suspension pieces to be incompatible. Somehow I don't trust a set of Eibach springs to be as good as some STi engineered pieces. I was hoping for a full SPT or STi suspension to be available, though that would sure be nice as a factory option instead separate aftermarket parts.[/quote] I've been thinking since first coming on this site how the suspension probably wouldn't be compatible since it's a different engine in the JDM and engine position and weight often differentiates applications for the same car (with different motor setups). Eibach is TOP-NOTCH. OEM on many of the German cars. I would wholeheartedly recommend ANY Eibach suspension components.

[quote name='Ninjapimp'][quote name='PPower']I'm wondering what causes the suspension pieces to be incompatible. Somehow I don't trust a set of Eibach springs to be as good as some STi engineered pieces. I was hoping for a full SPT or STi suspension to be available, though that would sure be nice as a factory option instead separate aftermarket parts.[/quote] I've been thinking since first coming on this site how the suspension probably wouldn't be compatible since it's a different engine in the JDM and engine position and weight often differentiates applications for the same car (with different motor setups). Eibach is TOP-NOTCH. OEM on many of the German cars. I would wholeheartedly recommend ANY Eibach suspension components.[/quote] Uh, uh. When I put Eibach Pro Kit springs on my Legacy GT wagon, which were supposed to lower the car 1.2", I in fact got a drop of 1.6 and 1.75", front and rear. I called Eibach, who said that drop was "in spec." This was absurd, I thought, and Mike Shields (the vendor) agreed with me, and gladly accepted the return. People were also getting inconsistent drops with WRX Pro Kit springs. Eibach makes nice stuff, but they aren't completely infallible. PPower, be careful with coilovers. It's very easy to screw up the ride and handling of your car with those things. Someone has already bought a JDM Spec B suspension from Yahoo Japan, but has yet to install it on a car. Kevin

Kevin, I think Preston was referring to the strut/spring assembly as a coil-over, getting a JDM 2.0GT assembly that is a bit stiffer. We'll have to find out how they like their Spec B Legacy suspension. I wonder what part of the country they are from. :?: I wonder how the Prodrive Springs will be also. I'm sure STi will ensure that the quality control is high enough on whatever springs they use that we shouldn't worry, but as you said Kevin, that kind of consistency isn't acceptable, especially if it happens again.

Sourcing a complete JDM assembly should be easy. They seem abundant on Yahoo! Japan. Last week, there were two Spec B wagon suspensions, both with very low mileage on them, up for auction. Whoever got the sedan Spec B set (I've forgotten the screen name...Opie? nicd?), got them for about $360USD, not including shipping, of course. Kevin

[quote name='SUBE555']Well, that's still a new suspension for what, less than $1000 shipped? Can't balk at that![/quote] Shipping was estimated to be around 30,000JPY, or less than $300. So for about $700, you have a low-mileage Spec B suspension. Now, if only you could buy the unshakeable kidneys and young, supple spine necessary to live happily with that setup as a daily driver. :lol: Kevin

One note about the Eibach produced springs, they will only be built by Eibach following the guidelines and specifications Subaru requires. Just like the Eibach sourced SPT spring kit for the 2.5RS, although it's spring rates were similar to the Eibach branded springs, the ride and spec's were different and IMHO set up perfectly for the car. P.S. It wasn't me that got the JDM Spec B set...I'm still haven't finished setting up my Renka acct :(

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']It can't be that bad can it? That's pretty cheap for a spec-b suspension. Of course I wouldn't trust it to make it over here and to my door.[/quote] I believe nicd has them already - hope he knows what they'll be like.

I expect the ride to be harsher than stock but not dramatic I am still trying to obtain specs on the stock NA setup and the Spec B numbers but it is very very difficult. What I do seem to notice is that many JDM Spec B owners swap out the coils for stiffer ones by Prove etc etc. So it may be that this means they are fairly suppel :twisted: I will try and do some more homework. I will keep you all posted.

[quote name='nicd']I expect the ride to be harsher than stock but not dramatic I am still trying to obtain specs on the stock NA setup and the Spec B numbers but it is very very difficult. What I do seem to notice is that many JDM Spec B owners swap out the coils for stiffer ones by Prove etc etc. So it may be that this means they are fairly suppel :twisted: I will try and do some more homework. I will keep you all posted.[/quote] Or, it might be as Paul Hansen says, that the JDM roads are nice and smooth, so they can run stiffer struts and stiff springs over there on a suspension that over here, would beat the crap out of us. :lol: You're a pioneer, sir. Kevin

Archived