LegacyGT.com

Need driving impressions of new GT

Blue-baru

I am seriously considering a new legacy gt. I have been trying to test drive one for months . the dealers in my area do not have any in stock and I do not want to order 1 without a test drive first. I currently own a 2008 tribeca and a 2011 legacy 2.5i premium.

My main question is regarding to the ride and noise.

Is the ride much firmer than the regular legacy?

Does anyone know engine rpm at highway speeds (75-80)?

And finally, does the engine sound thrashy ?

Welcome to the site and glad you would join us.

If you could find a 2010+ Legacy 2.5i 6MT that would give you a good approximation of the driving dynamics from a NVH, suspension, braking and handling perspective and a hint of what the performance dynamics would be with the LGT. Engine is very smooth and quiet post start-up. The air injection pump cycles-on for ~30 secs at cold start-up and then turns-off, so it's a bit noisier during the first few seconds of operation, then it's very quiet. It pulls hard off-idle and accelerates very smoothly, much more so IMO than the 2005+ 4th gens.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone know RPM's at cruising speeds? I do alot of highway driving (30K+/year) and high RPM engine drone would get old qiuck.

75-80 You are looking at approaching 3K RPM's on the high end. Between 2500 and 3000 for speeds you are talking about. There isn't a drone really, unless you have to be constantly on the gas at those speeds (meaning up a hill or something)

I dont believe the suspension setup changes at all between the models. So, the car you drive now is basically what it will feel like. Minus the little extra "stiffness" over bumps do to the decrease in tire wall size on the 18's. Say where abouts you live, someone on here will more than likely take you for a ride. Hell, I might even let you drive.

Oh, and also.. if you do that much highway driving... why not stick with a car that is better on gas and doesnt take premium?? Obviously you want a fun car too, but.. just own 2 different cars? IMO dropping 30+ thousand on a LGT only to drive it on the highway all the time isn't doing the car any justice. Cars that are meant for that would be your bimmers or even vw CC.. just a thought.

I live in the Tampa, FL area.

To answer schnacko23;

I've been down the VW,Audi road before and when racking up 100k miles/year, I cannot afford the maintenance/service of the European cars (don't even get me started on the reliability). The qualities I look for are 1.Reliable 2. Quiet 3. Roomy. However, I am tired of boring. Based on my experience with my first Subaru purchase, the Tribeca, i bought a 2011 legacy 2.5i Premium(CVT) for my wife last year. As my Tribeca nears the 100K mark I thought the LGT would be a great compromise for me. The legacy itself is uniquely sized, very roomy in back seat, and fairly refined and the GT would add some fun. The dealers suggest a 3.6R, however if I wanted boring again, I think a 2012 Camry V6 is a better value.

Yeah - kind of surprised by the 3.6 oil consumption mentioned as I'm looking to order a 2012 Tribeca for our travel/tow-car. Love the vast improvement over the 3.0 in the 06-07s. What would make the 2010+ 3.0R would be an STI 6MT tucked-in behind it. That would come pretty darn close to ultimate driver for me.

Ever since new the Tribeca used 1 qt every 2K. I even switched to synthetic, no dif. Oil has been changed every 5k since new by dealer. Car has been flawless until recently, idler pulley seized. Really good vehicle, the look has not grown on me,I think still ugly. I guess you can say it has character.

1QT/Per 2K miles - should have been a candidate for a replacement engine/rebuild since the interval is 7500 miles. I have never heard of the H6s with that kind of oil consumption. Idler pulley on the AC/PS belt or something else? I personally liked the 06/07 design a bit better - now that was polarizing and had character (or not for some people).

There's a 2011 LGT on the local lot that I'm going to go test drive. Hopefully, it's fully PDI'd before I pick it up as there's nothing worse than under-inflated tires to dampen the handling and an ECU that's still set to "limp" mode to reduce the acceleration quotient.

Actually is just slave a pulley , non spring tensioned. Subaru claims normal oil consumption on my car. Dealer gave me a bulletin from Subaru stating 1 qt/1000 miles is normal. I got used to it. Set the trip and every 2K like clock work, dump in a qt. Never uses more or less, really strange First vehicle I ever owned that used oil.

First H6 NA Subaru that I've known to consume any oil. Those things are built to some very exacting standards and they just don't "break". IMO the dealer just gave you the SeaBee salute (shrug) and I would have opened a case with SOA after the first OCI if it kept that up. I'm sure that's affected your gas mileage too as that oil is burning somewhere and oil and combustion < efficient. Really sorry to hear that.

Blue-Baru, my thought process sounds very familiar to yours.

I will be replacing an '05 Outback 2.5i 5 speed soon, and want something sportier. I drove several WRX's, and although very fun, were just a little too noisy for highway driving.

I'd love a Legacy Wagon GT, but of course no such luck.

I also have been unable to find a GT to test drive, and don't want to order one without trying. This Friday I have an appointment to drive a 3.6 and a 2.5i 6 speed. My questions to the group are as follows:

- any handling difference between the 3.6 and the GT?

- does the 2.5i 6 Speed shifter feel similar to the GT shifter?

- how does the GT 6-speed compare to an '05 Outback or a '11 WRX?

I may be a little overly focused on the shifter, but I read some concerning reviews (e.g. notchy, vague). Does the short throw shifter kit improve this, and is it recommended?

Thanks!

JRI

Blue-Baru, my thought process sounds very familiar to yours.

I will be replacing an '05 Outback 2.5i 5 speed soon, and want something sportier. I drove several WRX's, and although very fun, were just a little too noisy for highway driving.

I'd love a Legacy Wagon GT, but of course no such luck.

I also have been unable to find a GT to test drive, and don't want to order one without trying. This Friday I have an appointment to drive a 3.6 and a 2.5i 6 speed. My questions to the group are as follows:

I may be a little overly focused on the shifter, but I read some concerning reviews (e.g. notchy, vague). Does the short throw shifter kit improve this, and is it recommended?

Thanks!

JRI

IMO the STS is worth it. Just check with the after market to see if there is a better STS then the OEM one. I bought my 05 with the OEM STS, I like it better then the standard shifter in the 09 Spec B. Just wish the 05's tranny as smoothly as the Spec's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

- LGT has 18" rims with summer performance tires and will handle better. Of course if you live in a winter climate, you will need to quickly get winter tires or a dedicated winter setup.

- Shifter is the same. Not the best but brings out a sportier edge. The 3.6R seems slower than it is. So does the LGT over a WRX. The visibility, smooth acceleration, quiet cabin and extra room tricks you.

- Those that have installed the STS are pleased with the improvements. Despite the complaints,you get used to up and down shifting.

- LGT cable shifter v.s. WRX linkage? The attempt on the LGT shifter is to isolate noise and vibration.

- Or performance? The LGT Stock ECU map is gear dependent and limits HP and TQ. A stage I LGT will spool up quicker, with less boost and push out more usable daily drive HP and TQ. WRX will show gains at the top end. Over LGT after Stage I.

- Better gas milage in LGT

http://efilogics.com/dyno/graph.php?gb=0&hp=1&torque=1&rpm=1&sl=1&sln=1&runid1=1121&rgb1=000000255&runid2=1513&rgb2=204000000&runid3=998&rgb3=000153000&runid4=156&rgb4=153000255

Thanks!

JRI

Thanks minuccims, great info.

Blue-baru, what did you like at the car show?

I drove a 2.5 non-turbo 6-speed on last week, and understand the shifter comments. The car had less than 10 miles on it, so the shifter was very stiff.

Over all, I still think the GT will be the car for me....

• 2 weeks later...

Did it! Ordered a 2012 GT, Deep Indigo Pearl with STS and a few other trinkets.

I don't plan on picking up the car until March, so I have a long wait (which might put me in the loony bin)....

Did it! Ordered a 2012 GT, Deep Indigo Pearl with STS and a few other trinkets.

I don't plan on picking up the car until March, so I have a long wait (which might put me in the loony bin)....

congrats! good choice. if you aren't in the nut house after waiting all that time, be sure to post up some pics!

Archived