LegacyGT.com

05-09 vs 10+

So guys i'm looking at into buying a legacy and I'm trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages of the 05-09's vs the 10+'s. From my view the 05-09s are quite a bit better looking and are supposedly a couple pounds lighter than the 10+s. How do they compare performance-wise and refinement-wise and etc.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want ultimate performance go with the 05-09 hands down. The aftermarket for the 10+ is small compared to the 05-09, and with the cancellation of the GT and low production numbers, it doesn't look to grow much.

If you want a comfortable daily with nice interior space, go with the 10+.

I'd say go with the 05-09 if you want a comfortable daily, or if you want performance. An lgt limited is fast stock, and comes with leather, sunroof, heated seats/mirrors, etc.

The only thing that 10+ has is interior space, but as you can see from pictures, It's a whale compared to the 05-09.

I'd say go with the 05-09 if you want a comfortable daily, or if you want performance. An lgt limited is fast stock, and comes with leather, sunroof, heated seats/mirrors, etc.

The only thing that 10+ has is interior space, but as you can see from pictures, It's a whale compared to the 05-09.

So why exactly would he go with the 4th gen if he's looking for "comfortable daily"? They are the same from the performance front if you don't care to mod it much or not go past stage 2 from my understanding. Sounds like the 10+ put out better numbers with the same mods.

I had a 4th gen LGT and it pulled pretty nicely (of course better than my 2.5i), but it was cramped and I hated having anyone in the back seat. After reading all the crap on here, I was waiting for things to break on it daily. Haha.

The newer ones have less lag IMO and seems to get on power more linearly to me due to New placement of turbo and calibration of Ecu. Been getting better mpg as well. I do miss the look of my 09, but the 12 is incredibly more upscale inside. I have the 2012 LGT with Nav and short throw. I hate the electronic parking brake most of the time though. I keep reaching for my old lever.

2010 GT is actually a couple of pounds lighter than the 2009. 2010 GT Limited 3477 lbs, 2009 Spec. B 3543. Additionally, the 2010+ GT is more powerful in stock form (265 HP vs 243 HP).

It really comes down to asthetics and what you want the car for. Personally, I find the interior of the 2009 GT much nicer than a 2010, and I like the feel of a smaller car. In stock form, the 2010 is faster, but the 2005-2009 has more aftermarket potential. The backseat on the 2009 is cramped at best, 2010 is HUGE. If you regularly have more than two people in the car 2010 all the way.

Sometimes I think I should have bought an 09 LGT for the sportier handing and overall nature of the car. On the other hand, I like only putting regular in my 3.6R and the increase in size is ideal if you're carrying passengers. I went 2011 b/c I felt the 09 was overall too tight inside.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

So funny that everyone assumes the 5th gen GT handles worse then 4th gen stock cause of size and spring rate but every comparison road test I've read puts the 5th gen ahead of stock 4th gens, including the B-Spec.

Also stage 1 tune on 5th gen gets same numbers as stg 2.

Anyway if you find a good deal on a 4th gen and with low miles get that if you don't need a larger sedan, it has a lot more aftermarket support (visual and performance).

Bilstein shocks are coming for 5th gen next month and there are 7 different sets of springs, so there is some aftermaket support.

So funny that everyone assumes the 5th gen GT handles worse then 4th gen stock cause of size and spring rate but every comparison road test I've read puts the 5th gen ahead of stock 4th gens, including the B-Spec.

Anyway if you find a good deal on a 4th gen and with low miles get that if you don't need a larger sedan, it has a lot more aftermarket support (visual and performance).

Bilstein shocks are coming for 5th gen next month and there are 7 different sets of springs, so there is some aftermaket support.

stage 1 and 2 is good and all but the real men are separated by big turbos, but wait, there's 1 upgraded turbo available for your car.

Didn't say it handled worse, just said it was a whale. and it is. And for all your raging about growing aftermarket support you got bilsteins....2 model years after the car released. woop... koni's are superior anyway. Name me 3 aftermarket turbos for the 5th gen.

So why exactly would he go with the 4th gen if he's looking for "comfortable daily"? They are the same from the performance front if you don't care to mod it much or not go past stage 2 from my understanding. Sounds like the 10+ put out better numbers with the same mods.

I had a 4th gen LGT and it pulled pretty nicely (of course better than my 2.5i), but it was cramped and I hated having anyone in the back seat. After reading all the crap on here, I was waiting for things to break on it daily. Haha.

Exactly 4th gen=racecar, 5th gen=people hauling whale. No matter how you cut it, the 4th gen is more performance oriented, with an upscale interior to boot in the limited. best of both worlds. 5th gen is bigger, and more suited to putzing the assistant to the regional manager to and from work, and having his wife and neighbors ride along to a classy dinner on a saturday night.

They still make the 05-09 Legacy GT but call it the wrx now. Gotta love vehicular bloat. The 2016 Outback is probably going to be the size of a Suburban complete with third row seating.

Seriously though, to all you 5th gen haters out there. How would it make sense for Subaru to make the continue to make the 2009 Legacy when the Impreza had very similar dimensions and functions? GM, Ford and Chrysler made lots of different cars that served no different functions and it didn't work out so well; no more Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Mercury or Plymouth.

I never wanted to instigate a pissing contest about 4th gen vs 5th gen.

I wasn't raging about the Bilsteins, just letting the OP know more about the 5th gen then the immature comments some of you guys left.

I don't give a shit how many aftermarket turbos or shocks your cars have, I was just letting the OP know some of the options he has with the current gen since they don't make the 4th gen anymore.

I am a fan of the 4th gen but got a much better deal on a 5th gen LGT so there is no need to one up me on every little thing I post.

4th gen= RACECAR

REALLY?

How old are you W.K.S., 16?

I never wanted to instigate a pissing contest about 4th gen vs 5th gen.

I was just letting the OP know a little more about the 5th gen then the immature comments some of you guys left.

I don't give a shit how many aftermarket turbos or shocks your cars have, I was just letting the OP know about the Bilsteins and some of the option he has with the current gen since they don't make the 4th gen anymore.

I am a fan of the 4th gen but got a much better deal on a 5th gen LGT so there is no need to one up me on every little thing I post.

4th gen= RACECAR

REALLY?

How old are you W.K.S., 16?

Why u mad?

Because no race car.

lol

Archived