LegacyGT.com

Sirius/XM users time to do a re-up, rate hike coming.

gfxdave99

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/22/sirius-xm-confirms-rate-hike-coming/

If you love your Sirius or XM satellite service, now is the time to re-up your subscription for another three years. The newly unified Sirius XM is charging $2 for additional subscriptions and adding another $2.99 fee for Internet radio. The Internet radio feature does add a 128k premium feed option, which is nice. Subscribers can avoid the price hike by locking in their service before March 11. The increases are seen as a way for Sirius XM to raise money to fund its massive piles of debt. The satellite radio conglomerate wins either way; if you rush to lock in rates, the company gets an immediate cash infusion. If you wait and subscribe for more money, your individual subscription will bring in more money than it did before. We're obviously not too thrilled about this news, especially since it comes on the heels of a competition-killing merger. But to be fair, the two companies kept prices steady for many years, and that's not sustainable forever.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

And if you leave they get nothing :)

Well yes, of course if you tell them to take a long walk off a short pier and get a slacker then its all good.

However I figured it might save people a few bucks if they plan on keeping it

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I just called the other day to "cancel" after reading a few threads on slickdeals. After about five minutes they offered me $77/yr on the first radio and 3 free months on the second. I think it is only good for a year but I can cancel again next year.

I just called the other day to "cancel" after reading a few threads on slickdeals. After about five minutes they offered me $77/yr on the first radio and 3 free months on the second. I think it is only good for a year but I can cancel again next year.

I've contemplated canceling to get the better price also. I hadn't until recently though. And shhhhh, don't tip people off to SD. :lol:

Also, the "ZWINBACK" code still worked for me, as of mid-november, for that yearly rate.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76158&highlight=zwinback

I'd thought about getting another XM, but the Slacker's got me, now. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Yep.

That's really the big drawback of Slacker.

But if one doesn't use XM for such services (sports/weather/news/talk) - and listen only to music - it's a viable alternative.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Why would you pay for this when there are already hundreds (er.. thousands) of internet radio steams already available for free? Many of which are >128kbps... :confused:

I am still thinking of cancelling my Sirius subscription. The fact that internet users will be getting better quality audio than my satellite receiver is another reason to axe the service.

Or when you can listen to sirius online at ~36k for free ;)

Archived