LegacyGT.com

Tire Pressure Sensor reset and spare tire

Hi Folks,

My 2012 Legacy is showing the fault light for the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor. The light blinks for about a minute, and then stays constant. The owners manual says that this indicates the TMPS itself has a fault, and likely needs a reset.

No tires have been change, the pressures in the road tires are fine. I have not checked the spare yet.

Can someone please tell me if the spare is also hooked up to the TMPS, or only the road wheels? I have no idea what caused this alert to go off or if would happen again after a reset. Also, if this just needs a reset, what is a fair price for that?

Thanks in advance,

Rat

Either a reset, or if the milage is a little up there could be a battery went on one or more of the sensors. Regardless the system is telling you there is a fault somewhere preventing it from completing it's self check.

No tpms on the spare.

It's either a sensor or needs to be recalibrated. If none of the tires have been off the car then it's most likely a sensor. Two ways to figure out the problem...a scan tool that can read tpms data or a tpms tool that can check for a signal from each sensor.

If you have a donut you do not have a sensor. There's a chance you have one if its full size so you'd have to check.

Just noticed you don't live far from me, where do you take your cars for servicing?

Thanks for all the help everybody...plus for responding so quickly!!

I have a co-worker that owns a scan tool, which I used to borrow to reset the emission fault code on my previous car....a VW Passat...which I'm so glad I replaced with a Subaru. So sometime this week I'll see if I can try using that again. I'm also due for an oil change and some 30000 mile maintenance work that I will have to let the dealer do like the brake and differential fluids. I've done my air and cabin air filters already. The dealer will see that fault light unless I get to it first.

And 08SpecB_DE...I go to Matt Slap for my maintenance. They are a bit closer than Concordville Subaru, generally priced a little more reasonable (or at least used to be...I just got their new service price list. Those prices have gone up.. $419 for a 30000 service when it used to be $349. I guess the remodeling Slap is doing needs sponsors.)

Since the car is still fairly new, I get pushback from the wife about doing basic work like oil changes. We had a bad sludge issue with the Passat, like many others because of the poor 1.8T engine design. I had done my own oil changes on that for years, and it was a nightmare coming up with all the filter and oil purchase receipts to get that repaired under a special warranty. So I'm forced to let the dealer do most work for now.

Thanks again !!

I'm almost certain the shop I work at could beat that price and depending on which road you travel, you might go right past us. Any work done by us gets stored in the computer so no need to rummage around looking for paperwork of previous maintenance. I would gladly get you an estimate on Monday if you let me know the 30k recommendations.

Thanks for all the help everybody...plus for responding so quickly!!

I have a co-worker that owns a scan tool, which I used to borrow to reset the emission fault code on my previous car....a VW Passat...which I'm so glad I replaced with a Subaru. So sometime this week I'll see if I can try using that again. I'm also due for an oil change and some 30000 mile maintenance work that I will have to let the dealer do like the brake and differential fluids. I've done my air and cabin air filters already. The dealer will see that fault light unless I get to it first.

And 08SpecB_DE...I go to Matt Slap for my maintenance. They are a bit closer than Concordville Subaru, generally priced a little more reasonable (or at least used to be...I just got their new service price list. Those prices have gone up.. $419 for a 30000 service when it used to be $349. I guess the remodeling Slap is doing needs sponsors.)

Since the car is still fairly new, I get pushback from the wife about doing basic work like oil changes. We had a bad sludge issue with the Passat, like many others because of the poor 1.8T engine design. I had done my own oil changes on that for years, and it was a nightmare coming up with all the filter and oil purchase receipts to get that repaired under a special warranty. So I'm forced to let the dealer do most work for now.

Thanks again !!

Some scan tools will not scan TPMS, so make sure your buddies can do so.

Thanks for the offer 08SpecB_DE, but with the nightmare experience we've had with the Passat, for now I'm pressured by the wife to use dealer servicing. She was upset with me yesterday when she had the light come on while driving, and thinks it was due to me not keeping tires inflated. If you're married, you might have an idea of what I mean.

I'm not getting the full 30000 service anyway, as it's mostly inspect this, check that.

Archived