LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Got your email update. Your play-by-play infogram throughout this process is much appreciated.

~Cheers~

^ For sure..

Thanks guys. This has been a fun / stressful project that has taught me a lot. Glad the over-communication was well received and I hope you're just as happy with the actual product.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
This should be renamed the BMB kit for all the hard work into it ;)

Got mine today, haven't even opened the package yet tho. Much appreciation to Seeeeya & BMB.

Full credit for the design of the kit will always go to Jeff (SeeeeeYa). His name appears first in the instructions that I'm sending out with the kit. Mine appears second as the "manufacturer / seller" of the kit.

Credit where credit is due :) Jeff has been crazy supportive through this whole process--thank you sir.

Glad to hear that folks are receiving their kits, looking forward to hearing that they are getting installed.

Received my kit today. Kudos to you Mike. These are some of the most comprehensive and complimentary instructions to ever grace a kit that I have seen. If anyone screws this up it won't be because of lack of instruction.

~Cheers~

• Moderators

A couple more kits shipped out today. Also, the first order came through from the website (only up since last night)! Thanks for the orders, all kits belonging to those that have paid will be in the mail by tomorrow.

I believe I have 2 kits cut and ready to ship at the moment. If those go quickly, it may be a week or so until I have more available since I'm moving this weekend. I'll get more cut/cleaned up and ready for shipping as soon as I have a free evening.

Received my kit today. Kudos to you Mike. These are some of the most comprehensive and complimentary instructions to ever grace a kit that I have seen. If anyone screws this up it won't be because of lack of instruction.

~Cheers~

Tis true, the instructions are very detailed. Great job, and thanks again. I hope to get this done this weekend.

• Moderators
Money sent via website.. Cant wait!

Any particular CV Joint Banding Tool that we need?

Received, thanks for the order :)

I highly recommend the tool that NAPA stocks in their stores. It has an integrated handle and cutter and runs about $23 (this is the tool used in the video).

Whatever tool you use, only tighten the zip tie until it is snug. If you attempt to overtighten the tie it will break since there is no "give" in the system (metal-on-metal). Snug up the tie and lock it in place, that's it.

Just got it and put it on. Thanks again Mike! For those that don't have the tool (or patience to wait until you get one like me) to tighten the cables, I did a little trick to get everything real tight. Now I don't know if this was something that I could have damaged the intercooler, but luckily didn't and it seems to have worked out perfectly. Also, this might not make sense unless you actually have the bulletproof products.

1) Sand the tabs (like mentioned in the instructions) but just a tiny bit so when you put the 3/8 aluminum U-channel over the 2-3 tabs closest to the top/bottom (end?) of the intercooler you can push down on the channel and it will pop on but you can't push the u-channel onto all the intercooler tabs.

2) Place the 3/8 U-channel over all the tabs and GENTLY hit the channel onto the tabs (I used a rubber mallet) until it can no longer go on any further.

3) Tighten the cable tie as best as you can (so that it won't come out of the drilled grooves on the aluminum u-channels)

4) Take a flat head screw driver and push the outer side of the u-channel (side touching the plastic) up about 1mm. That should tighten the cable snug and no doubt should still give you the protection over the tabs to keep them in place

The reason I felt fine with lifting the u-channel ~1mm on the 3/8 u-channel is because it seems most stock TMIC tabs fail where the 1/2 u-channel goes. When I placed my 1/2 u-channel on it wasn't snug and would come off if I didn't hold it on (before tightening the cable) Now that I did the steps mentioned above, the 1/2 u-channel doesn't move at all. If the stores around me had the tool to tighten it, I would have obviously bought one and used it. PLEASE TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Like I said earlier, I could have just gotten lucky when tapping the u-channel in place and not cracking the plastic (thought I doubt it would happen because I didn't hit it hard at all, just tapped the u-channels). Now I'm going to go relax and drink some homemade summer ale:icon_mrgr. Thanks again Mike! I was so surprised to see it in my mailbox when I got home from work because I was expecting to get it tomorrow or Friday. Also, amazing job on the instructions! Very in depth and make install foolproof.

Edited by bflolegacy

• Moderators

Good stuff, glad you got the kit installed!

I have to say that while there is definitely some "wiggle room" in the kit it is ultimately designed to provide maximum security against endtank separation. If it's not installed with the rails fully seated there is a possibility that an issue could come up at a later time. Just a thought.

Just got it and put it on. Thanks again Mike! For those that don't have the tool (or patience to wait until you get one like me) to tighten the cables, I did a little trick to get everything real tight. Now I don't know if this was something that I could have damaged the intercooler, but luckily didn't and it seems to have worked out perfectly. Also, this might not make sense unless you actually have the bulletproof products.

1) Sand the tabs (like mentioned in the instructions) but just a tiny bit so when you put the 3/8 aluminum U-channel over the 2-3 tabs closest to the top/bottom (end?) of the intercooler you can push down on the channel and it will pop on but you can't push the u-channel onto all the intercooler tabs.

2) Place the 3/8 U-channel over all the tabs and GENTLY hit the channel onto the tabs (I used a rubber mallet) until it can no longer go on any further.

3) Tighten the cable tie as best as you can (so that it won't come out of the drilled grooves on the aluminum u-channels)

4) Take a flat head screw driver and push the outer side of the u-channel (side touching the plastic) up about 1mm. That should tighten the cable snug and no doubt should still give you the protection over the tabs to keep them in place

The reason I felt fine with lifting the u-channel ~1mm on the 3/8 u-channel is because it seems most stock TMIC tabs fail where the 1/2 u-channel goes. When I placed my 1/2 u-channel on it wasn't snug and would come off if I didn't hold it on (before tightening the cable) Now that I did the steps mentioned above, the 1/2 u-channel doesn't move at all. If the stores around me had the tool to tighten it, I would have obviously bought one and used it. PLEASE TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Like I said earlier, I could have just gotten lucky when tapping the u-channel in place and not cracking the plastic (thought I doubt it would happen because I didn't hit it hard at all, just tapped the u-channels). Now I'm going to go relax and drink some homemade summer ale:icon_mrgr. Thanks again Mike! I was so surprised to see it in my mailbox when I got home from work because I was expecting to get it tomorrow or Friday. Also, amazing job on the instructions! Very in depth and make install foolproof.

Good stuff, glad you got the kit installed!

I have to say that while there is definitely some "wiggle room" in the kit it is ultimately designed to provide maximum security against endtank separation. If it's not installed with the rails fully seated there is a possibility that an issue could come up at a later time. Just a thought.

^^ This.

FULLY-seated rails, only, offer maximum strengthening of the seams.

This mod is about making the TMIC secure, not making a zip tie look good.

• Moderators
BarManBean would it be to much to ask for a thread showing install pics. Just a thought :)

Unfortunately, it's too much to ask right at this second. After I move (this weekend) and more importantly after I get settled into the new place and back in a routine, I wouldn't mind picking up another spare TMIC and doing a full write-up of the install with pics.

That said, if you want a copy of the instructions that I send out with each kit I'm happy to send them to you digitally--you may read through them and find that pictures would be a bit of overkill :). You can also download them from the FTP site that SeeeeYa has up and running.

Here is a thread that provides what you need.

Thanks Jeff, that thread actually has some great photos of the process.

Will be installing the kit today and can't wait. When your hitting the metal zip tie is there a specific place to hit to properly secure the band? I'm unsure what exactly I have to do. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Moderators
Will be installing the kit today and can't wait. When your hitting the metal zip tie is there a specific place to hit to properly secure the band? I'm unsure what exactly I have to do. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Watch the video here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4022125&postcount=83

You should be able to see where I hit it. Basically, there is a small ball inside the locking piece that you need to prevent from rolling around. A sharp tap on each side of the housing should do it.