LegacyGT.com

Couldn't change oil filter, how many miles can I add on?

Hi guys,

I always tighten my oil filter with my non-dominant (left) hand, and then give it a slight snug turn with my right to ensure it's on adequately. I use Pureolater PureOne PL14610 like many of you.

I had a mechanic change my timing belt, water pump and a few other things lately. He may have tightened the oil filter while giving the car a once over, and I could NOT get it off (even with an oil filter strap/wrench) this weekend. Seeing as I already drained the oil, I filled it up with fresh Rotella T6.

How long can I go with the same Pureolater on it? Their website only says 3k or 3 months, but I don't know if that's being extremely conservative. I suppose I could get a garage to break it loose for me, then pour the T6 out and pour it back into the car after I swap the filter.

What do you think?

TIA

play it safe. get it changed. and buy one of those filter wrenches too
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Pureones are good filters, they can definitely go longer than 3 months/3k miles in my opinion. You should be able to replace the filter by itself without losing much oil, most of the oil will be in the oil pan when the car is off. I would just make sure the oil is at the full mark on the dipstick, and have an extra quart on hand if you do that. Afterwards maybe add another .5 quarts or so to make up for whatever oil was left in the filter, and if any extra stuff drained out after you removed the filter.

I have some oil filter pliers that look similar to these, and I love them. I have a bad habit of overtightening oil filters, so I have to use the pliers pretty much every time.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-12-Inch-Filter-Pliers/dp/B000NPR33O/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1436845321&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: TEKTON 5866 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers: Automotive[/ame]

How long were you planning on running the fresh rotella for?

Pureones are good filters, they can definitely go longer than 3 months/3k miles in my opinion. You should be able to replace the filter by itself without losing much oil, most of the oil will be in the oil pan when the car is off. I would just make sure the oil is at the full mark on the dipstick, and have an extra quart on hand if you do that. Afterwards maybe add another .5 quarts or so to make up for whatever oil was left in the filter, and if any extra stuff drained out after you removed the filter.

I have some oil filter pliers that look similar to these, and I love them. I have a bad habit of overtightening oil filters, so I have to use the pliers pretty much every time.

Amazon.com: TEKTON 5866 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers: Automotive

Thanks!!!

I usually run the Rotella 5-6k

You can also drive a screwdriver through the filter with a hammer and spin it loose.

I'm a little leary of doing this. If I can't get it loose at that point, then I'm REALLY stuck.

Yep, I have used the screwdriver my self once.

I have also posted a picture of a vibrant silicone hose adapter with a oil filter in it with a strap wrench around it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN0236.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

My personal recomendation:

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/accessories/OEM-Import-car-filter-wrench/_/N-25ra?id=297190

One of the best tools I have purchased for my car next to my company 23 cam tool.

This tool works great on my car, the catalytic converter wraps around the oul filter giving you no room to get leverage otherwise. Try it, it will work like a charm.

This is the one I got. Highly recommended. I worked at an oil change shop when I was younger, these things grip almost anything.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR4Q8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage]Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive[/ame]

Over the weekend I had to put a 3 1/2" screw type hose clamp on the filter on my lawn tractor to and then use the socket and extension to break it loose.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
surprised to see folks recommending the screwdriver approach - that's such a bad idea! If it works, that's great - if it doesn't, then the car is undrivable until you figure something else out. Either the jaw type (3 or 4), socket type, or plier type wrenches are the way to go. The jaw type are great as you can't accidentally tighten instead of loosen the filter.

It's never failed

I had it 'fail' once; and even if you end up tearing all the metal sides off the filter, you can then use a screwdriver and hammer to "persuade" the base off the threads by putting the screwdriver into one of the holes in the base and tapping to loosen. see what I'm sayin'?

I always hand-tighten, but for removal, I've used [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442101620&sr=8-2&keywords=oil+filter+wrench]this guy[/ame] for the past 3 years - is extremely well-built and hasn't failed me once. Just need a 3/8" ratchet and you're good to go.

I made a tool out of 1/2" conduit, about 8" long, and 1" brass strap about 12" long. I cut a slit 1" into the top of the conduit that the strap slips into. There is a 3/8" hole in the other end of the "handle".

Works like a million dollars, and you can use to tighten the filter too by flipping the brass strap over.

• 1 month later...
I guess real men CAN use filter wrenches, :( ...gotta get a new one! I Had to resort to the screwdriver technique on my SUS the other day, I couldn't loosen it by hand & my of wrench was too big. I tried wrapping the filter w/ thick rubber bungee but was too "fumbly". The last time I used the sd "save" was 30+ years ago but I remembered the oil squirting out and making things slippery & messy, plus I used a too short blade, (no grip on far side), so while twisting the sd slipped out and elongated the hole,(more oil mess), didn't want to do that again. So this time, 1st: tapped a small drain hole in the filter bottom to let it drain out, then got a thicker & longer phillips head,(to grip on both sides of filter). I tapped the sd through the lower portion of the filter where the squared sections are, figuring that those bends are stronger for the twisting. Once through, I was able to get both hands on the sd & loosened it easily....... hmmm do I really need a wrench :?

Amazon.com: TEKTON 5866 12-Inch Oil Filter Pliers: Automotive

I've never had a filter that I couldn't get off with a set of these pliers. They're a very worthwhile purchase.

In comparison, those filter removal straps suck

like really suck...

like REALLY suck.

Those purolator filters are very high quality; I wouldn't be worried about putting 6k on the filter without changing it. In contrast, I wouldn't do that with the OEM fram filters.

Archived