LegacyGT.com

towing a car

Anyone here crazy enough to tow a car with their legacy?

Here's my situation..

I've got a 2320lb race car that I need to tow to the race track. Sometimes a few states away. If I got a 500lb two wheel car dolly (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200401171_200401171) would I be safe towing it with my legacy? (stage 2 08 spec b) That'd be a total of 2820lbs which is a little bit over the rating of 2700lbs.. but that 2700lb i just because the towing capacity can't exceed 75% of the tow vehicles weight right?

Even if it could tow it, would I feel like i'm about to fall off the road at any moment? what kind of strain what that do to the car? could the 6 speed handle it? I know that most tow vehicles cool their transmission, and I know that the 6 speeds are pretty strong for holding power.. but what about heat?

spec b is short for SPECially Built for towing right? :lol:

I wouldn't do more than about 1500lbs with a 3000lb car. It's not just a matter of getting going and then holding the road, you also have to stop should there be an emergency situation. Think about liability and talk to your insurance company. Get a tow vehicle.

i dont have a trans mission cooler.

do you need a cooler ? well depends if you drive in a way that your torque conveter is locked up. if you dont know what that means you shouldnt be towing anything.

if the torque is unlocked the biggest cooler in the world isn't going to help you.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Unless you have electric brakes, the issue is not going, but stopping. You can tow 3000 pounds easily with a LGT, and I have done so with my sailboat.

HOWEVER, the braking distances are HUGE. I only tow a few miles, and even then it makes me nervous:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

i have towed my legacy with my other legacy on tow bar.

yes you can do it.

yes its dangerous.

yes you can get sued.

yes you can probably get away with it.

There isnt realy a way of putting a trans cooler on a manual transmission.

I wouldnt worrie about strain on the drive train . You should probably just run a gear lower than what can maintain speed .

well.. After reading up on a bunch of other places I think I'll have to conclude that I agree with you all. It's not worth the damage and the stress to my legacy. especially how expensive it was, and the reason I bought it was because I wanted something reliable and fun to drive.. I'll buy a fullsize truck in a year or two (likely an F150). For the time being I can use my friend's 2010 F150 Lariat to tow with. It's an even deal, he'll let me use his truck whenever and wherever to tow my racecar to events if he can use my new trailer that I just bought...

15595039218_d868d2aa69_o_d.jpg

15161026893_3c24c108e9_o_d.jpg

well.. After reading up on a bunch of other places I think I'll have to conclude that I agree with you all. It's not worth the damage and the stress to my legacy. especially how expensive it was, and the reason I bought it was because I wanted something reliable and fun to drive.. I'll buy a fullsize truck in a year or two (likely an F150). For the time being I can use my friend's 2010 F150 Lariat to tow with. It's an even deal, he'll let me use his truck whenever and wherever to tow my racecar to events if he can use my new trailer that I just bought...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5604/15595039218_d868d2aa69_o_d.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7484/15161026893_3c24c108e9_o_d.jpg

Made a similar deal with my dad for towing my Miata to track events.... now I just need to find a trailer :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Archived