LegacyGT.com

2018 Subaru Legacy

I meant the blind spot detection for the light flashing. Ot illuminates to make you aware of vehicles in your blind spot. The point is, Subaru no longer caters to to people like me and many others, but rather wants to make their vars the same as every other manufacturer. And I know you can turn everything off. But you have to do it everytime you start the vehicle. And yes I could get a WRC or a Miata or a friggen NSX haha but its fun to have a sleeper like a Legacy. And look, I have a 2016 Legacy and a 2014. Neither have eyesight or lane keep assist or anything. Mahbe Im a bad example because hell, I don't even want a friggen sunroof 😝 but I just hope they don't make it a standard feature. And I REALLY hope they dont bring it over to the WRX/ STi. And as I previously mentioned, these features do malfunction and break. And the repairs are costly. The fewer additional features a car has, the less stuff to break and more money in your pocket

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how many are in my group, but I traded a 2013 Lexus in on the Subie because of the safety features (and AWD). The Lane Assist is getting a bit annoying so perhaps George has a point above regarding best use = longer trips. A mistake/accident can happen anywhere so turning it off will be last resort. However we have a lot of bikes here in Colorado and it seems I am constantly moving over for something. My only help has been putting the volume on min. (I now realized that lowers multiple warnings which may not be optimal). May end up putting the volume back to medium and LA = Off except for Highway/trips. Not sure yet. However if these systems save my butt just one time, it is well worth any "inconvenience" IMHO anyway.

@subieguy21...too late...they have already brought it to the WRX. Unfortunately, you are screwed my friend...all cars, regardless of manufacturer, will have more and more of the features over the years and, soon, your car will drive itself. Just a matter of time...5 years...10 years...who knows but the Government will mandate, for safety reasons, that all cars must be self driving and you'll need a "special" license to drive your own car. That will be a very sad day!!! I understand your "concerns" but, as others have said, it's more for the idiots around you than for your driving abilities which I am sure are stellar;)

When / how often are you using the Lane Keep Assist ?

I only use it on long distance trips and then only when I seem to be getting tired . To me it's a last resort tool to prevent me from running off the road

if I ( God forbid ) fall asleep at the wheel .

Using it as an everyday item seems to not be it's designed intent .

Regards

George

If I turn it off I get a yellow warning light and if I turn it on it gives an annoying noise each time it thinks that I cross a line that I shouldn't cross.

I realize that I referred to the lane departure warning though.

Edited by ehsnils
453747.png

I drove my buddies Volvo XC90. That one has lane assist that is always on. It does not beep but it is always nudging the steering wheel. At least we can turn it off and on in the subie.
---

Not to mention, if eyesight prevents one accident, it pays for itself.

If it minimizes one accident, it pays for itself.

Yes, it costs more to have it in the car, it gives you sometimes unnecessary corrections or signals, but it should be included in all trim levels and probably will be in the future, like airbags and abs used to be only offered in luxury cars, but now are in most autos sold.

self-driving cars are coming in our lifetime, most likely. With ride sharing I would imagine some urban areas will have almost no car ownership, self-driving uber will take over...so much for parking lots, and two car garages being necessary in new construction...

If anything, eyeSight has made me a better driver. I certainly pay a lot more attention to staying in my lane if only to keep the warning from beeping. Blind sight monitoring has saved my bacon a time or two (and, to those drivers in your blind spot, you don't give them the heebie jeebies by starting to pull over in their lane). Lane Keep Assist (gently bumping you back into the lane) is mostly useless unless you're on a long straightaway - it can't handle even a gentle curve. When we bought the car, our salesperson admitted that it wasn't as effective as they would like and recommended not using it.

My hopes for the '18 are for improved sound reduction. My Subie is quiet at around-town speeds but the wind and tire noise increase significantly on the highway. I'm kind of hoping the new acoustic glass front windows will fit in my '17 - that'd be an upgrade worthy of the cost if it can drop dBs down a couple of points.

@personatech...I do not believe any additional sound insulation or thicker glass in the mix for 2018.

From CNET.com: "Updates for the 2018 model include doors that lock at speed, new acoustic side glass, insulated rear wheel wells and individual tire pressure monitoring."

...not to mention mods to the CVT to make it quieter. I had also read that they had redesigned the side mirror housings to improve airflow and reduce noise.

Why is noise reduction such a big issue? As I have mentioned, I have a '14 and a '16 and the 16 is 3 times quieter already. You should be able to hear your surroundings at least a little bit and engine noise too. Whaf2f if you have a strange sound that needs attention but you can't hear it? Also I have a Magnaflow Cat back on my 14 so noise is really not an issue lol

Quiet is the new loud.

Its sad that nobody is interested in making cars sound better, perform better or look better. All people want is safeth this and quieter that. Cars are much less fun. It all started with the dissapearance of the manual trans

I agree subieguy21...no reason cars can't still sound good and perform well while still offering a heightened sense of safety. There are several manufacturers that still offer this...Subaru only offers the WRX/STi which, you can argue, offer the best of all worlds...sound good, fun to drive and very safe to drive.

The Legacy was not designed with that in mind...it's a Camry, Altima, Accord fighter and needs to appeal to that audience or it won't sell in the numbers required to sustain itself.

I test drove a '17 WRX. Hated it. Smelled and felt budget the whole way.

If you want sport-luxury then get a premium brand. The Legacy is way better than any of the other offerings at it's price point. Please don't try to make it what it's not. If it offered what everyone wants then it would be too expensive and everyone would bitch how Subaru is not in touch with their customers and how dare they charge so much for everything that they want. :spin: :spin:

---

If it offered what everyone wants then it would be too expensive and everyone would bitch how Subaru is not in touch with their customers and how dare they charge so much for everything that they want.

Not to mention the whining about "too complicated" and "nanny state" features that allegedly interfere with the he-man driving experience.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

As far as quiet goes, I can't imagine the 17 much quieter. Compares with Lexus and Infinity per my test drives. I think the last thing I would hear would be the CVT as mentioned earlier as needing improvement or quieting.

On the vette forum you can imagine there is a lot of discussion on the "nanny" factor as real men don't need that stuff. Many turn all that silly traction control etc etc off. Many end up like this:

Edited by Ronin3.6R

As far as quiet goes, I can't imagine the 17 much quieter. Compares with Lexus and Infinity per my test drives. I think the last thing I would hear would be the CVT as mentioned earlier as needing improvement or quieting.

On the vette forum you can imagine there is a lot of discussion on the "nanny" factor as real men don't need that stuff. Many turn all that silly traction control etc etc off. Many end up like this:

The 6th gen Legacy is very quiet, and luxury car like, compared to the current generation WRX.

that said, it is a bit noisy on the highway, but nothing too bad and I can hear the stereo fine.

If you wanted quieter, spend more (get that Audi you secretly wanted your Suby to be) or put more sound insulation into it. Good 'nuff for my taste as is.

Just read this thread from the beginning -- nothing said in the last few months about when the 2018 Legacy will be on dealer lots. Anyone have any info on when they'll be available?

Looking forward to owning my first Subie!

Just read this thread from the beginning -- nothing said in the last few months about when the 2018 Legacy will be on dealer lots. Anyone have any info on when they'll be available?

Looking forward to owning my first Subie!

I just ordered mine last Tuesday, 6/27 and Subaru of America sent me an email showing the estimated delivery date as last week of August. So for whatever it's worth, it'll be in the dealer lots around then I assume.

I just ordered mine last Tuesday, 6/27 and Subaru of America sent me an email showing the estimated delivery date as last week of August. So for whatever it's worth, it'll be in the dealer lots around then I assume.

Thanks for the info. I guess my poor old Accord can carry me around for another couple months of dry summer weather...

It takes fun out of spirited driving. I like to take drives on curvy roads at speed and once in a while tear down empty highways. Its fun. And I dont want my car to beep at me or flash lights.

So turn the assistance systems off. Then it won't take any fun out of your spirited driving.

And I know you can turn everything off. But you have to do it everytime you start the vehicle.

You're wrong. On mine at least, if you switch a system off it remains off the next time you start the car.