LegacyGT.com

2018 Subaru Legacy

It appears to be a totally different head unit. It now uses Tom Tom for navigation too in the 2018. I seriously doubt that our existing heads can be updated to work with apple and android phones. Hoping someone will prove me wrong.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
My vehicle before my 2016 Subaru Legacy was a Mazda 6 that had TomTom navigation. It was terrible! In fact, Mazda discontinued using TomTom after that and now uses a different navigation system. I am guessing that TomTom gave Subaru a good deal for all of their cars and that is why Subaru went with them. I am telling you it is a mistake. I do not know how long I will keep the Legacy...I love it, but my point being if Subaru still uses TomTom when I look at a new car that will be a negative check mark. Though Subaru has done a TERRIBLE job with working with the company it now uses for MAP UPDATES...(the last update of map software is the Fall of 2015) the navigation system works well, is easy to use, and has options that far outclassed the TomTom.

Boy.. Why do you need to come on here about a Nav system you do not have and spam them. If you remember Mazda initial TomTom collaboration had some problems but seem to correct the issues but because of the negative press decide to move on. The issues are now corrected and hopefully Subaru/HK/ TomTom will make it seamless. TomTom been around for a while and should be a nice upgrade to the present system.

Grandma said-- if you have nothing nice to say then just say....... "Lord, Bless your Heart". All the Southerners will enjoy this.😄

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!😊

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

All the Southerners will enjoy this.��

Well, bless your heart!

(If you've never seen it, I highly recommend the short and light-hearted book, A Southern Belle Primer ... or why Princess Margaret will never be a Kappa Kappa Gamma, by Marilyn Schwartz. It was like a decoder ring for my southern-born mother's psyche.)

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I have navigation (Limited) but I use Waze off the iphone, bluetooth for audio guidance, and it both gets me there and lets me know where the popo are hiding...

I have used the suby navigation a couple of times, it is good for the center arrow displays, but otherwise, I don't bother with it.

I personally hate all additional tech features in cars. I dont want my car to tell me how to drive or drive for me. Or tell me when cars are approaching in my blind spot. People have been managing for YEARS without all that. I don't need a 3000 Navi when I gmcan get a plethora of other aftermarket units for 150 and I feel as though people have lost the interest just simply driving. No additional electronics, no fancy stuff. Just enjoying the drive

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I personally hate all additional tech features in cars. I dont want my car to tell me how to drive or drive for me. Or tell me when cars are approaching in my blind spot. People have been managing for YEARS without all that. I don't need a 3000 Navi when I gmcan get a plethora of other aftermarket units for 150 and I feel as though people have lost the interest just simply driving. No additional electronics, no fancy stuff. Just enjoying the drive

Bring back the LGT with a 6 speed and turbocharged 2.5

I've been saying this for years, and I know many more who feel this way. What are these bosses smoking to think that buyers, brand loyalists, or enthusiasts will be content with just a new nav voice, trim color, and no transmission or power options outside of the stale old ones? I love my obxt and unless subaru starts offering a H6/ MT or a new LGT with spartan trim and powwaa I might not be in their lot when searching for my next.

When you feel the car braking and you look back up from changing the heat setting to see the idiot you where following with CC set at 68mph in the left lane on the highway, and see the right side of his car because he realized he's about to miss his exit and locked up his brakes to make the hard right, because we were almost past the exit. I had a nice view of the right rear side of his car about 3 ft off our right front fender.

You may also say, Thank you eyesight for saving us.

I use the lane keep assist as a game to see if I can drive better so it doesn't have to let me know I'm drifting.

The blind spot warning is priceless IMO. I'm 62y/o and love all the safety features.

My question is, can you get the Lapis Blue with black interior ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The new technology is not to hinder your driving is to save li from all the other idiots on the road.

You see, I have been driving for 7 years, and have never had any technological assistance. I have never had an accident, and every time anyone has ever pulled out in front of me, cut me off, tailgated me or brake checked me, I have been able to stop or maneuver around it. I also don't ever use cruise control, as it allows you to be to comfortable and lose a bit of attentiveness. Just my thoughts

7 years?

Try 26 years here. When we needed to double clutch and not grant shift. I was blowing the welds of my intake before it became a joke. :spin::lol::hide:

Anyway, times are changing and there is less interest by young ones about becoming good drivers and more about taking the perfect selfie. It is sad but the technology is well implemented.

Edited by laz
---

I couldn't agree more, especially in regards to blind spot monitoring. I don't quite get the suggestion that Eyesight somehow turns a good driver into an inattentive lazy driver .... that can only happen if you are foolish enough to let it happen. As others have stated here, most sane people with Eyesight still maintain their previous good driving habits, but use the safety features for protection against the less sane drivers. :)

You see, I have been driving for 7 years, and have never had any technological assistance. I have never had an accident, and every time anyone has ever pulled out in front of me, cut me off, tailgated me or brake checked me, I have been able to stop or maneuver around it. I also don't ever use cruise control, as it allows you to be to comfortable and lose a bit of attentiveness. Just my thoughts

Your 7 years of no accidents means that you are going to survive the next 30 or 40 not having one?

You will have an accident at one point in your driving life, it may not be your fault, it may not be serious but you will have one and if there are any technological gadgets that can prevent that one time, then it is more than worth it.

I spent the last 35 years of my life driving without gadgets, but as soon as my wife got a 2016 Outback with eyesight, I loved it so much I went out and got a Legacy with eyesight, it really is that good.

I just feel as though its over engineering. It takes fun out of spirited driving. I like to take drives on curvy roads at speed and once in a while tear down empty highways. Its fun. And I dont want my car to beep at me or flash lights. I have 3 mirrors and a brake pedal. I test drove a 2017 3.6R. It was a fun car but the one I took for a test drive had eyesight and lane assist. It kept flashing lights at me whenever a car traveling the opposite direction was techically in my blind spot. Now I know I am young, and nobody is perfect at anything and yes, I probably will be in some accident at some point, but to me, a car doesnt need all the tech. Its extra stuff to break, and believe me, I work at an Acura dealer in the parts dept, it is NOT cheap to repair

There are two features that bugs me, and it's the lane keep assist and the start/stop functin that stalls the engine at every red light. Fortunately both can be turned off, however the start/stop has to be turned off at every start of the vehicle.

The eyesight also lack the ability to catch on to cars doing a lane change/merge in our traffic here.

453747.png

I just feel as though its over engineering. It takes fun out of spirited driving. I like to take drives on curvy roads at speed and once in a while tear down empty highways. Its fun. And I dont want my car to beep at me or flash lights. I have 3 mirrors and a brake pedal. I test drove a 2017 3.6R. It was a fun car but the one I took for a test drive had eyesight and lane assist. It kept flashing lights at me whenever a car traveling the opposite direction was techically in my blind spot. Now I know I am young, and nobody is perfect at anything and yes, I probably will be in some accident at some point, but to me, a car doesnt need all the tech. Its extra stuff to break, and believe me, I work at an Acura dealer in the parts dept, it is NOT cheap to repair

Subie ... with respect mate, if you are the type of driver that likes to take drives down curvy roads at speed, and to tear down empty highways then maybe you are exactly the type of driver that needs Eyesight just for the time when your "clone" is driving up the same curvy road at speed in the other direction and you both meet in the middle of one of the curves :lol: I guess you realize you can turn off pre collision braking and pre collision throttle management and lane departure warning and the lane sway warning?? And I'm confused how a car traveling in the opposite direction would cause flashing lights ..... are you sure they weren't the flashing lights of a patrol car warning you to slow down:spin:

I just feel as though its over engineering. It takes fun out of spirited driving. I like to take drives on curvy roads at speed and once in a while tear down empty highways. Its fun. And I dont want my car to beep at me or flash lights. I have 3 mirrors and a brake pedal. I test drove a 2017 3.6R. It was a fun car but the one I took for a test drive had eyesight and lane assist. It kept flashing lights at me whenever a car traveling the opposite direction was techically in my blind spot.Now I know I am young, and nobody is perfect at anything and yes, I probably will be in some accident at some point, but to me, a car doesnt need all the tech. Its extra stuff to break, and believe me, I work at an Acura dealer in the parts dept, it is NOT cheap to repair

I have a 2017 with eyesight and that is not a feature of eyesight.

I am wondering if you are trolling or don't really understand how eyesight works.

If you want to carve canyons and overtake drivers while having the Legacy is not the car for that. Get a Miata. Any Miata and you'll have a grin from side to side. I know because that is what I drive when I want to have fun.

---

or a WRX...

That said, I like Eyesight a lot, I use ACC all the time. When I started driving I had the dream car for subieguy21, a RWD Ford maverick. Nothing electronic at all, manual windows, dreamy (ha ha)

34 years ago, when I started driving, cell phones didn't exist (nor gps, nor the internet... front wheel drive cars were just starting to take over, anti-lock brakes were only on luxury cars that few people owned, etc).

Later on, I owned motorcycles for years and loved riding them, but as a very defensive operator of a motorcycle I became more an more aware that newer, younger drivers (and a few slightly older ones) value texting more than paying attention to driving, to the point that it did not feel safe to me to ride a motorcycle where I live.

Eyesight is as much to protect me from those inattentive drivers as it is to protect me from a mistake I make.

FWIW I am pretty sure Acurawatch (my wife got a 2017 RDX with Acurawatch) makes more annoying sounds than the Subaru version (and in my opinion, driving both, Subaru's Eyesight is much better than Acurawatch, though Acurawatch lane handling is pretty good, ACC is much better in the Subaru), maybe the warning sounds in the Acura can be turned off, but it is her car, and she isn't going to figure out the internal menus to change those settings.

Edited by upstater

Consumer reports just had an article on these safety features, and even including Luxury brands like Lexus BMW and Tesla, Subaru seemed to be the most favorable. Consumer reports didn't seem to like the Honda/Acura one as much.

There are two features that bugs me, and it's the lane keep assist and the start/stop functin that stalls the engine at every red light. Fortunately both can be turned off, however the start/stop has to be turned off at every start of the vehicle.

The eyesight also lack the ability to catch on to cars doing a lane change/merge in our traffic here.

When / how often are you using the Lane Keep Assist ?

I only use it on long distance trips and then only when I seem to be getting tired . To me it's a last resort tool to prevent me from running off the road

if I ( God forbid ) fall asleep at the wheel .

Using it as an everyday item seems to not be it's designed intent .

Regards

George