LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Legacy Wheel Thread

I need some help, in the midst of trying get my new wheels/tires, I am trying to get 19x8.5 rims and 245/40R19 tires. The mechanics say I shouldn't do this because it will hurt the transmission. I know there are a number of people out there with the plus size wheels. Can anyone give factual information on this? What do they mean it will hurt the transmission? The rims I'm looking at are the TSW Nurburgring, they are 21lbs each (~5lbs lighter than stock) I'd think this would put less stress on the transmission since they are lighter.. but this isn't my area of expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need some help, in the midst of trying get my new wheels/tires, I am trying to get 19x8.5 rims and 245/40R19 tires. The mechanics say I shouldn't do this because it will hurt the transmission. I know there are a number of people out there with the plus size wheels. Can anyone give factual information on this? What do they mean it will hurt the transmission? The rims I'm looking at are the TSW Nurburgring, they are 21lbs each (~5lbs lighter than stock) I'd think this would put less stress on the transmission since they are lighter.. but this isn't my area of expertise.

I've had my rims on for about a year now and had different rims before that for like 6 months, no trans problems here. Maybe some cheap extremely heavy 20's could do that??? I don't know never heard of rims affecting transmission

I'd really be asking the mechanic what he is referring to. I suspect he's saying not to go oversize with the wheels/tires like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4GtXm42yteI/TT4lx8jXNqI/AAAAAAAAADc/H9XavZdY8LE/s1600/33116230062_large.jpg

The thing is the wheel/tire combo you've chosen is very close to stock diameter so there won't be a noticeable change in terms of stress on the transmission. This can be the case when you run over-size wheels as there can be a lot larger torque created at the wheel due to the larger diameter (effectively a lot bigger lever).

• 2 weeks later...

You can go ahead and check 20x9+40 with 245/35r20's off your list. Picked these beauties up today. Vossen VSF1's on Nitto NT555 G2's. Fitment is amazing, really tough look. Unfortunately more pictures won't be able for another two months, gotta wait till winter is over for the big debut!

9ee9229f45e59dde691da0685bc8d84c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

They fit perfectly! Zero rubbing, scrubbing, or flubbing at this point. They weren't even close to rubbing, even the bro flaps didn't get in the way. The car needs a good 1.5 inch drop, from what the shop said fenders won't need to be rolled.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Miro 111 +35 18x8.5

245/45/18

I originally wanted 19s after looking through this forum, but found these 18s on OfferUp and couldn't resist.

I got the back fenders rolled, and very slight pull, before getting the wheels on since I went with 245 on +35. With my old tires in the back, I got a small rub on the back right on a corner, but I think a fine tune on the roll will fix it.

I really appreciate you all on the forum. Definitely saved me headaches and money with all the info on here. Also, http://www.Wheel-Size.com/calc/ , was the most helpful fitment calculator for me.

IMG_0100.thumb.JPG.2b8900e7d1e703100b95809c512d6303.JPG

IMG_0101.thumb.JPG.76ac3bcfa870fa7018e7e1bcbc3a0108.JPG

IMG_0109.thumb.JPG.2545d01ecf5ffdc81358e6df02712b7e.JPG

IMG_0103.thumb.JPG.f8d5601ab6d14a331a3921fd7d991ed8.JPG

IMG_0113.thumb.JPG.e10187e14a1fd9f05131521295ab33b9.JPG

IMG_0111.thumb.JPG.90b0c44ac39aac83241256e13df4a01b.JPG

IMG_0112.thumb.JPG.2616dd3b2f9e7a74031fa6fb635ad635.JPG

I'm looking at 2 tire choices:

Yokohama Avid Ascend (85k T Rated)

Hankook H727 (100k T Rated)

Size 225/50R18

2016 Legacy Limited.

I live in a state with frequent snow (Montana). Thoughts?

I have had the Yokohamas on two other cars and I think they are an excellent tire for the cost and what you get.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I replaced the factory Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres with the same Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres that came with my previous two Libertys (Australian market). The Bridgestones are slightly quieter on coarse road surfaces than the Dunlops but what I wasn't expecting was how much better the ride is. On the Dunlops, the car would 'crash' over deeper potholes and recessed man-hole covers - but now the larger hits are smoothed off nicely. You're still aware that you ran over a pothole but now it's not as jarring and harsh as before.

I definitely recommend the Potenzas as a worthwhile upgrade for Aussie drivers. :)

I replaced the factory Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres with the same Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tyres that came with my previous two Libertys (Australian market). The Bridgestones are slightly quieter on coarse road surfaces than the Dunlops but what I wasn't expecting was how much better the ride is. On the Dunlops, the car would 'crash' over deeper potholes and recessed man-hole covers - but now the larger hits are smoothed off nicely. You're still aware that you ran over a pothole but now it's not as jarring and harsh as before.

I definitely recommend the Potenzas as a worthwhile upgrade for Aussie drivers. :)

Thanks for that review. I'm not due for tyres for a while, but I've been watching the various tyre reviews for future reference, because I intend to change from the factory Dunlops as well. I don't want to start another new "'tyre discussion" but I would be interested if Michelin was on your list of possible replacements for the Dunlops, because going on various reviews I've seen on numerous sites, they were looking good to me ..... but I am happy to take on board your comments on the Potenzas.

Thanks for that review. I'm not due for tyres for a while, but I've been watching the various tyre reviews for future reference, because I intend to change from the factory Dunlops as well. I don't want to start another new "'tyre discussion" but I would be interested if Michelin was on your list of possible replacements for the Dunlops, because going on various reviews I've seen on numerous sites, they were looking good to me ..... but I am happy to take on board your comments on the Potenzas.

I'm believe I am getting the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3 Plus for my tires 245/40r19. I'll give you my opinion on them when I get them.

Edited by 15LegacyRyan

I'm believe I am getting the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3 Plus for my tires 245/40r19. I'll give you my opinion on them when I get them.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

BTW, this is the actual Michelin tyre that I had penciled in as my next change.

http://www.motoring.com.au/tyres-michelin-goes-quiet-with-primacy-3-st-36946/?gclid=COf6qqzyk9ICFcWTvQodyHQDZQ

When I was looking at tyres I searched the Michelin website but they didn't list any tyres in 225/50R18. However I just checked their website again and they do list Primacy 3 in this size. Not sure why it didn't come up a few months ago. I have a friend who swears by Michelin tyres but I would still have gone with the Potenzas as I've had such good experiences with them and I'm more than happy with my purchase - could well be the best $700 I've ever spent!

I changed wheels/tyres at 22,000km and the stock Dunlops still had a decent amount of life left. I'd be suggesting you'd get 40,000-50,000km from a set.

I then ran a set of Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's (40,000km) and am now on a set of Bridgestone RE-003's. Both these were 245/45R18 and offered a heap more grip than the stock Dunlops in both wet and dry. I'll be interested to see how the RE-003's wear as these worked out cheaper on the 4 for 3 deal Bridgestone were offering in December.

• 2 weeks later...