LegacyGT.com

Lost 5th gear

Max Capacity

So you dumped one problem for another? Oh well. Hope it all starts working perfectly after this. Curious to hear your thoughts on the blast plates once you can start driving it.

I have ordered a bunch from Underdog and he is great to work with. I highly recommend him too.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

The last tranny was beginning to have play in the rear housing, it was suggested not to use it again. If I did, it would require a line bore to match up the new housing...if that worked out well or not...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So you dumped one problem for another? Oh well. Hope it all starts working perfectly after this. Curious to hear your thoughts on the blast plates once you can start driving it.

I have ordered a bunch from Underdog and he is great to work with. I highly recommend him too.

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the blast plates. I love my 5MT and am hoping something as simple as this will help make it robust enough to handle higher HP. I really don't want to do a 6MT swap.

Well, radiator is in, system appears to be air free. Took the car for a 5 mile ride, backroads and some WOT on the highway. Temp gauge stayed right where it always runs.

The tranny shifts different then the old one. I did a WOT roll on in 1st from 3500rpm to redline, 2nd and 3rd gear shifts were very clean. They didn't seem to fight me. Felt kind of clean like a Honda tranny.

May be the blast plates work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Well, radiator is in, system appears to be air free. Took the car for a 5 mile ride, backroads and some WOT on the highway. Temp gauge stayed right where it always runs.

The tranny shifts different then the old one. I did a WOT roll on in 1st from 3500rpm to redline, 2nd and 3rd gear shifts were very clean. They didn't seem to fight me. Felt kind of clean like a Honda tranny.

May be the blast plates work.

Jealous. On any high rpm shifts my tranny is fighting me a little bit. Adding all the group-n mounts helped. But it's still there.

When I have to replace my clutch I'll strongly consider getting these put on.

• I Donated Too
hmmmm.... I think I need to get blast plates too. I can't imagine my 120K 5speed will be long for this world either with all it's been through. Looking forward to hearing more on how this works out but I am going to probably order some and figure out how I can get them on my gearbox without taking it all out of the car again... sigh.

How many times have you removed it ?

Mine is coming out again. The input bearing is loud. Dropping it off Monday so they can do it. I let my tranny guy listen to it and the tech that will pull the tranny. He'll check the TOB and fork to make sure they are in correctly.

Also when I start the car after it's sat for awhile, it wants to pull against the e-brake when to starter engages, but if I start it after a shut it off, it starts normal, as stopping to get milk.

As a side note, my tranny guy was picking up a 1940 Packard 3 speed tranny with electric overdrive to rebuild for a customer last night.

Edited by Max Capacity

• I Donated Too

To be honest. Never - but the engine has been in and out more times the last two years than I can count and I am just sick of taking things apart.

I am concerned that the gearbox is what will fail next especially given the power levels that I run. Car is now a non daily though so I am less urgent in my decision making!

Well talked with the place the tranny came from. They have credited my CC, twice the cost of the bearing. It's something, better then nothing.

If I get a chance before we drop the car off Monday night, I'll look around the clutch fluid and see if there's anything obvious there.

The exhaust came for the Spec yesterday but it was still misty outside so I didn't put it on. Leaving work early today so I have somemore day light. GF has plans for the weekend...

Found the bad bearing. Its the ball bearing in the Sleeve & hub assembly #2 on the back of the main shaft. 32610AA100 its item #29 on page 5mt-8 in the 05 service manual, about page 3605.

My tranny guy kept saying he was sorry on the phone, he had that in his hand the other week and never realized it was bad.

I'll order the part today.

Just spoke with my buddy at the parts dept at the dealer. The assembly will be here tomorrow. I said I'm guessing the part will be around $160. He said wait I'll check,... it retails for $250, but for you I can do $160. I said thank you very much, he said your welcome, your a good customer.

Still not sure if being this good of a customer is a good thing...LOL It's still costing me $$$$'s

I'm also hoping this bearing being bad, is what was causing the car to want to pull forward when I starter it. I'm thinking the play in the bearing was letting things in the tranny shift over the hours it sat and things got out of alignment.

I'll talk it over with the tranny guy when I see him tomorrow after work.

I may stop by tonight thinking about, got nothing else to do...

Edited by Max Capacity

Picked the car up today after work. Nice quiet tranny, shifts great with the blast plates, seems the plates increase the decel noise in 5th gear.

But it shifts so much better.

I think when it comes time for a new clutch, I'll go back to a steel FW.

Edited by Max Capacity

After I got back from the test drive, Joe the Tech said, "he's has a smile on his face, then, its hard not to smile after driving that car, its so smooth, yet so quick, how could you not enjoy driving that car".

I also had him change out the clutch fluid, he cleaned out reservoir, it was full of settlement. He also put heli-coils in the turbo flange. I asked how the tmic went on, he used my tip and it was a breeze to install.

When I had the car up on jacks a couple weeks back, I installed the new front sway bar bushings, those seemed to be the knock going over cracks and bumps in the driveway. I also replaced the rear diff cradle bushing. The feels much tighter while driving it.

• 5 years later...
Did they solve your trans issues?

The blast plates fix the issue of, the shifter fighting you when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at high power and rpm. That shift is now flawless, it no longer fights going into 3rd.

• 1 month later...