LegacyGT.com

Bye, bye, so long !!!!!

Unfortunately, our 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium (Plus many added accessories), has been totaled in an accident a week ago last Wednesday. Thank God, no one was injured (at least seriously - hey this is NY - attorneys have field days with this type of stuff).

My son drives the car. It had over 115K miles on the clock. The accident occurred on the "Connection" highway - BQE leading to the Grand Central Parkway Fork Left to the West and Right to the East. A car cuts off the Subaru, then the driver hits the brakes not knowing whether to go left or right at the Fork split. My son hits the Hyundai Sonata (driven by a young lady who is pregnant), and then my son is hit from behind. Not at great speeds. Subaru air bags did NOT deploy. Front end is smashed, but no fluids leaking, rear end bumper pretty much in tact. The Honda Civic in the rear has smashed un drive able front end. 911 is called; Fire dept responds & EMS responds, but No Cops. The cars are pulled over to the median. The female driver takes the ambulance although she got out of he car seemingly unscathed, but EMS talked her into the precautionary measure due to the pregnancy. My son and the Honda driver stay at the scene waiting for the police. After 3 HOURS and numerous calls to 911 - they never showed. The Hyundai and the Honda were towed (Hyundai because there was no driver; the Honda because it was undriveable). My son drives the Subbie to my house in Westchester County, 25 miles away from the scene. As he turns my corner, the radiator gave way and leaked. The fact the car was driveable after the hist sustained speaks very well for the Safety of Subaru !!!

GEICO totaled the car two days later. The front end was repairable, but although the rear seemed OK, the floor of the trunk had crumpled.

Observations on the ownership tenure:

The car was purchased as a CPO in 2/11 with 7500 miles from a Subaru dealer. The 2010 was the New Next Generation model for the Legacy. It did have it's many quirks. We also added a number of accessories: Media HUB, Subaru Tweeters & sub woofer (not worth it), Puddle Lights; interior light illumination package; 19mm rear sway bar; Homelink Mirror; Fog Lights. And via this Blog site was able to sell our 16" wheels for 17" Subaru wheels.

Problems:

Lots of headlight bulbs and side marker bulbs outages.

Wheel Balancing issues - not major but always there at various speeds.

Steering wheel volume switch replaced (under warranty)

Driver side window switch replaced (warranty).

The headlight lens clouded

One time, the steering wheel locked and could not be stared (roadside assistance did help). Very weird

Other Things:

The enhancements added absolutely Nothing to the resale value. in fact according to a Subaru dealer where the car was regularly serviced, in the early spring, evaluated the car as a trade in, said the mods may in fact reduce the value, UH ????.

My son is picking up a Pre-Owned 2015 Subaru Legacy Limited today !!!! Ahhhh nothing like Loan Payments again. It seems to be a very nice deal made at Bill Kolb, Jr., Subaru in Rockland County. Lapis Blue with Ivory Leather interior. They don't Certify the pre-Owned cars.

BTW, GEICO was terrific as well. Fast, responsive service. The car was towed the next morning to a local Auto Body shop which has a GEICO express office on site. No Hassles whatsoever.

I am the Blogger, not my son - see you on the 2015 Legacy page shortly.

glad to hear your kiddo was fine, and that no one else was injured in the accident. Totally understandable that they brought the pregnant woman to the hospital - if I were in your sons shoes, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way - her safety and that of the child she carries have to come first.

Upgrades rarely improve the value of the car - keep in mind, if you have the stock parts most insurers will let you swap them back so that you can sell the upgrades. Sounds like you are already done with the payout, but in the event you are not, keep in mind that everything is negotiable - if they offer low, and you can provide concrete data to support that (easiest way to do that is comparable used cars for sale at the dealer) they will move on the price. Haven't seen pictures of the damage, but even if it's not that bad, totaled doesn't mean non-repairable - totaled just means that (payout - salvage value) < repair cost (usually plus a contingency for unseen damage at the estimate)

As a final note - you should definitely post pictures! Accident threads are like a train wreck - everyone wants to slow down and see!

Glad to hear that everyone was ok. That's what's important. I'm counting down the months until I have my 2013 paid off, and I hope to have my Legacy for many, many years to come.

Good luck with the new Legacy!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived