LegacyGT.com

What should I replace my power antenna with?

I have a 1997 LGT sedan, and the power antenna is slightly kinked and works, but makes a terrible sound. I don't like power antennas anyhow, and would like to replace it with a fixed antenna with a short mast. I've seen plenty of universal replacement antennas, but none that look like they will fit flush to the curvature of the QP. I just need a kit that will allow me to thread on a universal mast and will fit the QP.

QP=Quarter Panel...the antenna is mounted to it. I'm not talking about a stubby antenna, like the CF ones you are talking about. I'm reffering to the shorter mast types(usually appx. 13"). The issue I am having is that most of the non-power replacement antennas do not appear to be able to mount flush to the car body in the same location as the stock antenna.

I'd rather do away with the power antenna completely. I'm either going to have to look at the junkyard for something that will fit or just try to use a universal antenna in the power antenna mount. Oh, and BTW, I tried plugging my phone in through a tape deck adapter, and it wouldn't read the tape. I tried it with like 4 or so adapters with the same results.

i have a maxell cassette adapter and have no issues with it. did you make sure your cassette player works before trying it?

as for the antenna, mine is on the roof, where are the power ones located? there are universal mounted antenna kits you can get at most part stores, its a simple install with a rounded base and the screw for any aerial you want. i got one of those and a rubber 14" mast for my old scout and i could get stations out in the wilderness better than i could with my ex wifes old suburban with the stock set up.

like this:

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/met/AW-US02RA/image/4/

On th LGT sedans the antenna is mounted on the driver's side quarter panel.?I've looked at lots of those universal replacements,and none looklike the mounting base curves the right amount.LOL I never thought to check if the tape deck works, I don't own any tapes anymore! I'm ordering a new head unit and speakers from Crutchfield, when I install that I may just install one of those hidden antennas under the dash and disconnect the power one and just leave it in there until I get around to doing some other body work in the spring and just fill the hole.

there are bases with a ball swivel that would relocate the angle any way you wanted, so if it installed a bit to the outside you can swivel it back up on top of the QP.

a friend of mine sells a cool one that ive thought of getting. it has a cable up the A pillar, and is flat metal that hides under the trim at the top of the windshield. i cant remember the name, ill see if i can find it. they have a powered option that is supposed to give much better range too.

I don't know if this will help in your situation or if it is out of the question, but for mine I was able to deploy my antenna halfway and just leave it. I disconnected the power source to the antenna motor, turned the ignition on and just touched the power connectors together until the antenna was at the desired height and left the source disconnected.

Archived