LegacyGT.com

5th gen vs spec b help, time for a new next subie

dek715

Hi All

new to the Legacy forums, start by saying hi. Have had a 07 wrx which has served me well but showing its age and has also had a few issues along the way.

Looking for a more grown up Subie yet somehting that can be fun. Have decided would like some more luxury ammenities (sunroof, leather, room, ride etc) So with this have been looking into LGT as well as spec b

so in reading more found out to amazing surpirse that 5th gen LGT are 6 speeds! would like the idea of having a newer model year car with lower miles.

Then on the other hand i have always loved the spec b model lines. basically a more luxury STI ride/engine.

So, between these 2 5th gen LGT 6 spd or spec b prob 07-09 what can some owners recommend. Stay away from spec b? better to have updated mechanics and tech of 5th gen LGT?

how does a 5th gen LGT in terms of simple bolt on mods, ride mods, simple tuning and transmission hold up vs spec b factory details to these aspects.

Main thing is need something for a DD that is fun and reliable with low miles. Commute a lot for work as well as family.

Are there certain 5th gen years to steer away from or other that are better compared to other model years?

Any and all help or criticism is appreciated whatver it may be

Thanks!

-Dek715

Hello, speaking from personal experience the areas of concern with my 5th generation is the following. My shifter from day one has been notchy and hard to shift. Week two had me swapping over to the STi shifter which has helped somewhat. The drivers seat from new has been squeaky, and nothing they have done has made it right.

Now on another note here are my positives.

Perfect amount of room both inside and trunk for my family.

Handles excellent with the right tires in the snow.

With a few add ons, has made me feel like its a grown up drivers car.

Gets plenty of compliments wherever I go.

Since it's an LGT, I'm not seeing myself on every road where I live.

I'm not sure how far you want to go with the car, but more and more parts are being made available for it. Just please do not expect the support that a WRX has. Hopefully this has helped you as far as the 5th generation.

2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

I can only comment on the spec.B aspect as I have only ever sat in a 5th Gen. The 6spd in the 5th gen is not remotely the same as the spec.B 6spd. In the spec.B the transmission is STi based where the 6spd in the 5th gen is based on the 4th gen/08+ WRX transmission. The STi based transmission is much stronger.

I personally love my spec.B I feel it offers a unique blend of performance, luxury, all weather control and style. The 5th gen to me appears visually much larger, but it does offer much more interior room than the 4th gen.

Either way the car could be difficult to find since the spec.B is rare and the 5th Gen LGT is also rare.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

If I could find a decent 08/09 spec b I would get that more so than the lgt. Prob is to find a low miles and non abused/ modded to the max spec b is impossible

In regards to the lgt I nderstand the tranny won't be the sAme ability to handle power. I would do some minor bolt on cat back UP Cobb v3 tune and some other light mods as well as handling and suspension mods. Not looking to tracker rCe but something that has some move to it

Are there any major problems or complaints of spec b vs lgt? Certain years to avoid or ones to look for into

Would definitely choose the Spec B...I did. Problem would just be finding one. Not a fan of the 5th gen's look or its increased size. Coming from a WRX I think you'd be happier in the Spec B with the upgraded limited slip, transmission, and suspension. It's a great sleeper. Not that many people know what the car is capable of so you don't get Civics trying to race you all the time.

I do agree that the spec B will be a nice transition from a wrx. I will enjoy the day that some young wrx ricer will not pull up alongside me and this hes casting for fast and furious.

so to try to find a spec b is impossible with lower miles. any suggestions for best produced year? any differences with internals or parts used. Something to watch for when looking for used models? I would want somethihng 07-09 and hopefully under 50-65k under that amount of miles.

another thing it is hard to find them that have not been completly modded or mods done well and maintained well.

If for some reason my search comes up dry for a spec b i would have no problems getting a LGT 2010-2012. some minor mods, nothing to try to race or launch against ppl. would do some bolt ons, sound ride and prob a quick cobb(v3) tune and map from a shop

Anyone that may run accross any good deals on here , the net or at a dealer for either please let me know! willing to travel anywhere for the right car and more importantly the right price.

Yes it's hard to find stock B but it's not impossible, I did :) it only took me 6 months :) Don't even consider 06. It's basically LGT with additional cosmetic features and kick ass suspension. Yeah it has 'x of 500' badge, big deal. Any following year introduced less spec. b to the market so later models are even more limited despite not having stupid badge. You definitely want 07+ for 6 speed, top feed, no cat up pipe and slightly improved VF46. 08+ also adds better looks IMO. Now, if you want 07+ that is stock and has low miles .....well how much time do you have ??? :) I took me a lot of time and I was searching nation wide. Bought the car 300 miles from home but I was willing to go anywhere for a good car. I wouldn't get stuck on the low miles to be honest. I have seen cars with lower miles that drove and looked like shit compared to mine when I got it with 75k on the clock. Still going strong, after 2 years....knock on the wood. 6 year old car with anything under 60k is simply suspesious to me. I rather get something with honest, hwy miles than hacked odometer or city/short tripped car.

Now, 5th gen Legacy might be more appealing if you really want low miles. If you are only planning to do simple bolt ons and no track days I would consider 5th gen. very seriously. New, bottom mounted turbo gives you more torque at MUCH lower RPM with simple stage 1 tune. Stage 1 or even stage 2 should be no problem for that new 6 speed. You also mentioned family, you will appreciate 5th gen interior space if you have 4 people in the car on regular bases. Just to give you an idea - I am 5'11'' and my younger son who is 4 has JUST enough space in the back. I have 2 settings in seat memory. One comfortable position that I like and use whenever I am driving alone and "kids" setting for when I have little people in the car. It's still comfortable but I would rather have more room for legs. So there :) My wife has new outback and it's just crazy how much more space there is inside. If your eyes don't hurt when you look at 5th gen, go get it, tune it right away and you will be very happy.

The 5th Gen LGT are faster mod for mod than the 4th Gen, but the 4th gens have better aftermarket support. The curb weight is about the same but the 5th are noticably larger. The specb came with better suspension and transmission. Both spec b and 5th Gen LGT are relatively rare. The 2011 & 2012 LGT were produced in spec.b type production numbers.

^ all true. Open diff in the rear that won't bother you on the street and 6MT that might or might not be a problem at up to stage 2 levels...my guess is, no problems what so ever unless you are learning how to drive stick and/or launching car at every intersection. Put Bilstein PSS coilovers on it, stage 1 tune, decent pads and you will not have to touch it ever again for shit load of fun on the street.

very valid point about a spec b being out of warranty. most I have seen are indeed out of warranty with near or above 100k which means that those maintinence items would need to be addressed.

If I could find a decent mileage spec b yes i would love that. realisticly prob the LGT would go a little further for me in terms of finding one with lower miles possibly a warranty/extended subie warranty as well as the comfort features wanted.

@stoplightassassin, I would love to get a newer WRX but this would be for a DD car mostly and around me in westchester any young live fast kid is flying around town in WRX new or old and it is highly annoying to deal with that on a regular basis. As annoying as being pulled over for NOT doing anything crazy just simply for it being a WRX. Need something with some more room, sunroof, leather, nav would be nice but could be done later. The size interior and exterior of a LGT is better suited I think for me now.

have not sat ina new WRX or LGT so not sure how much difference would be btwn the 2.

So the hunt will prob be for a 10-12 LGT limited. Another question though, what about a 10-12 LGT vs lets say a 4th gen? in terms of engine/turbo/parts/internals. any advantage/disadvantage btwn the 2 gens?

I would love to get a spec b for the money and mileage though i would need to find one with a meticulous owner in order to feel comfortable w a turbo car with over 100k.

noticed after 2012 LGT stopped being 2.5 turbos!!!?? possible this model may roll out later or have they abandoned it?

There are several threads on this forum that talk about the 5th gen - lot's of info out here. Be wary of a known problem in the '10 & '11 LGT with 'shimmy' on the highway. The dropped the turbo from the '13 line-up, and only made 227 in '12. No one knows for sure what they'll do next. I'm probably a minority here, but I had a '06 LGT and loved it and now have a '12 LGT and love it even more with a few minor mods. Good luck!

I love my 5th gen to death, but I would have gone for an 07+ spec b if the miles and mods were low and the price was right. Both are amazing cars, with the spec b probably offering a few extra goodies than the 5th gen. though the 5th gen has its own positives as well (interior space, etc).

Oh, and if you have kids in car seats just buy a 5th gen. I don't think that point can really be argued--they have way more rear seat room.

This and the trunk didn't fit my sons stroller is why I don't own a 08/09 specb.

I think i may be leaning toward the LGT.

saw the spec B in the DC area posted. For a DD car though has a lot of miles and I put about 100k on my wrx in about 3.5 years alone.

So now I start to read about the 5th gen LGT "shimmy". :( I feel like my car search will continue now longer. Have a lot of 5th gen ppl experienced this? seems as though some were repaired after many trips some needed minor fixes and others parted ways with their LGTs.

Is the shimmy a non issue with 4th gen? maybe just consider to get a decent 4th gen and eventually do a 6spd swap.

"shimmy" as some people call it is a serious "silent" recall that subaru should be ashamed of. Serious hardware service, rear diff. relocation, steering rack upgrade etc. serious stuff that was fixed on the car only if you went straight to SOA and was absolutely relentless. I've heard quite a few horror stories how hard Subaru was fighting not to do the service. All cars leaving assembly line starting may 2011 should be fine. SOA admitted there is a problem and issued 3rd or 4th and final service bulletin in april 2011 so my assumption is whatever left assembly line after that is safe. We waited with buying my wife's outback for 6 months exactly because of that.

i'd say the kick ass suspension

the only model u can get nav and manual

and the brick red interior

are enough reasons for one not to immediately rule out an 06, would i prefer and 07 yes but 06's are still deff nice improvements over a standard LGT IMO.

Yes it's hard to find stock B but it's not impossible, I did :) it only took me 6 months :) Don't even consider 06. It's basically LGT with additional cosmetic features and kick ass suspension. Yeah it has 'x of 500' badge, big deal. Any following year introduced less spec. b to the market so later models are even more limited despite not having stupid badge. You definitely want 07+ for 6 speed, top feed, no cat up pipe and slightly improved VF46. 08+ also adds better looks IMO. Now, if you want 07+ that is stock and has low miles .....well how much time do you have ??? :) I took me a lot of time and I was searching nation wide. Bought the car 300 miles from home but I was willing to go anywhere for a good car. I wouldn't get stuck on the low miles to be honest. I have seen cars with lower miles that drove and looked like shit compared to mine when I got it with 75k on the clock. Still going strong, after 2 years....knock on the wood. 6 year old car with anything under 60k is simply suspesious to me. I rather get something with honest, hwy miles than hacked odometer or city/short tripped car.

Now, 5th gen Legacy might be more appealing if you really want low miles. If you are only planning to do simple bolt ons and no track days I would consider 5th gen. very seriously. New, bottom mounted turbo gives you more torque at MUCH lower RPM with simple stage 1 tune. Stage 1 or even stage 2 should be no problem for that new 6 speed. You also mentioned family, you will appreciate 5th gen interior space if you have 4 people in the car on regular bases. Just to give you an idea - I am 5'11'' and my younger son who is 4 has JUST enough space in the back. I have 2 settings in seat memory. One comfortable position that I like and use whenever I am driving alone and "kids" setting for when I have little people in the car. It's still comfortable but I would rather have more room for legs. So there :) My wife has new outback and it's just crazy how much more space there is inside. If your eyes don't hurt when you look at 5th gen, go get it, tune it right away and you will be very happy.

• Moderators
i'd say the kick ass suspension

the only model u can get nav and manual

and the brick red interior

are enough reasons for one not to immediately rule out an 06, would i prefer and 07 yes but 06's are still deff nice improvements over a standard LGT IMO.

it's not likely that any stock suspension on an '06 with any amount of reasonable mileage is going to be "kick ass". It's more likely that if the stock suspension is still on there, that the struts could use replacement. Also, 7/8 year old navigation is likely out of date as well.

The interior is certainly nice, but it's just a different color--not completely different seats or anything.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

luckily for myself and others on the forum the 7/8 year old Navi can be easily updated to 1 year old with just a few clicks around this wonderful forum :)

Noted on the suspension, but vs a regular LGT with same miles i'll take the beaten up Spec b over the beaten up standard

Great points Barman

it's not likely that any stock suspension on an '06 with any amount of reasonable mileage is going to be "kick ass". It's more likely that if the stock suspension is still on there, that the struts could use replacement. Also, 7/8 year old navigation is likely out of date as well.

The interior is certainly nice, but it's just a different color--not completely different seats or anything.

Archived