LegacyGT.com

Steering Vibration and Shifting

Accidentally posted this in the media section, so I thought I would also post it here in its right place, and see if I can get some more feedback.

I have an 05 LGT 5EAT, with some steering issues. The steering wheel vibrates/shudders and at times the car shifts side to side. The shifting feels similar to tracking along drainage grooves or cracks in the road, but it's not tracking, as isn't necessarily following any grooves. Its sort if subtle. It doesn't jerk or throw me into another lane, it just rocks side to side sort of like the wind is gusty.

Work that's been done to fix the problem includes, in order of the work:

OE Lower Control Arm Bushings

Struts - Bilstein HDs front and rear with Spec B Mounts

Eibach Pro Kit with 3/8" rear spring spacer - to get the car level

Tires - BFG g-Force Sport

Whiteline Roll Center Kit

Tires - Yokohama YK580 (was told the BFG's were out of round)

Power Steering Flush with Lucas Oil Stop Leak

Also, the wheel bearings and CV axles have been checked multiple times, the tires have been rebalanced twice, and the alignment was done each time any work was done.

Some have suggested that the steering rack is bad, that the piston inside the power steering could be leaking, resulting in uneven pressure and causing the problems I'm having.

Anybody else with similar problems, or know how to pinpoint and fix this?

Shocks ?

Has anyone checked them. I seem to recall a friends 05 Outback had some of the same issues and Subaru put new shocks on it at 28,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had/have a similiar issue.. I felt the car would wander alot, especially under heavy cross-winds it would really go all over the place. I replaced the LCA bushings with whiteline, both the front and rear bushings then aligned it. Doing that definately took care of the wander/cross-wind issue. But since then I still feel during hard turns the car all of sudden looses its stiffness/steering response, then it comes back seconds later. But of course in hard-cornering the seconds count, so Im still a little timid about it. Im debating going with whiteline Rack bushings to see if that helps. But its definatly something I want to figure out if I plan on rider her harder this summer. Car has hotchkis stab bars front and rear (factory links), whiteline LCA bushings all else stock in suspension. and is also a 5EAT.. Definatly subscribed

Archived