LegacyGT.com

Tuning Help!!

get an open source tune. If you look in the tuning section, youll see we have a thread there going over whats needed to tune a 2.5i.

Basically you need a vagcom cable (dealextreme, ebay), and a laptop with the appropriate software.

Youll also have to check if your ecu is defined, so you can get a tune. If not youll have to dump it, and then post it on RR and hopefully someone will define it for you.

After that, you have to choose a tuner. A bunch of us went with PhatBotti on NASIOC, but theres been so many hickups, and delays..Infamous here on LGT also does tunes for 25$ more (125), but I dont know how many/if any NA engines hes tuned.

Do you have an auto or manual? The DBW tables are one of the things that get changed, and def make the car drive a LOT better. I have an auto, if you want to see the diff just let me know. Kinda busy, but this weekend but i have some spare time next week (still wanna hear your UEL ;p )

Also, dont know if 94 is best thing to do. I hear its getting scarcer in the GTA, maybe 91 would be more ideal. Also dunno how much gains youd get on 94 with an NA. I'm getting a 89 tune just cause its more reasonable, and not too much more expensive then 87.

I would not tune it man. Save your money for tires, and suspension, and maybe some looks. I am old school and N/A just nets no good gain. I run 87 octane and get great gas and have had no problem with the car. Just seems if you wanted more power you should have waited and got an LGT or used WRX.

I would not tune it man. Save your money for tires, and suspension, and maybe some looks. I am old school and N/A just nets no good gain. I run 87 octane and get great gas and have had no problem with the car. Just seems if you wanted more power you should have waited and got an LGT or used WRX.

Yeah - I'm not looking to get much more power out of my car anyway. Like you said - if I wanted a "powerful" car I would have gotten a LGT. I just wasn't sure what a tune did - and if it would be necessary to improve driving conditions.

You can tune to better use 87 or step up to 93 BUT you are right I would only tune to correct fueling with header or a turbo kit. They say or claimed the AP OTS maps gave good results but more so in the throttle linearity through the RPMs.

You could tune for things like NO P0420 if you get UELs, Tune out the RPM holder btwn shifts, tip in, and torque ref table relations BUT you only have but so much HP to work with and that aint much :lol:

For me the tune has been worth it so far, if anything just for the fixed DBW tables. It's a night and day difference between stock and tuned. Also getting a throttle controller up here would involve customs, and I'd rather not be fiddling with a controller when driving.

So for me it was either; throttle controller or tune. I chose tune, and since I have some aftermarket stuff hopefully I'll see some gains along with proper DBW table.

Great point. Thanks.

Did you upgrade your suspension at all? New RSB or springs or anything?

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm reviving this thread BUT I finally have the cash so why not...

So the consensus is that a tune wouldn't do that much for a 2.5i? but it would help fix some of the throttle control issues?

@infamous, If it would even be noticeable, what stage tune would you suggest for an all stock 2.5i? and any upgrades to go with it

Our "Stages" are different than GT, so it is hard to compare.

I'm still in the process of tuning my car, kinda stopped because of the weather, but the improvements over stock are worth it imo. I didnt want a throttle controller(dont like to fiddle with stuff while driving), and the change in the DBW tables has helped a lot.

Tune is cheaper, and possibly more effective than a dbw controller, so that's why I went that route.

I dont think too many people on LGT have tuned a somewhat stock 2.5i, most people have done e85 tunes, so I dont think there are any solid numbers out there.

What all would be required for an e85 tune then? Definitely interested, just want to do some research before jumping in

here a thread with a bunch of info, although I guess it depends on the availability and access to e85.

See I want a tune now BUT there are no definitions for a 08 2.5i 5MT only a 4EAT WTF? Anyhow I have my exhaust squared up i wan a throttle table adjust for linearity and maybe the rev holder above 4K done away with. Not to mention I have to use a Tactrix 2.0 cable $160 where as you could use a VAG-COM ~$8-$20 via eBay

Archived