LegacyGT.com

gash in tire sidewall, threads exposed

Well, just came home from a night of driving, hit a large rock I swerved away from last second, but noticed a gash in my tire sidewall. About 3 threads are exposed and one of them is cut already.

The night progressed with more aggressive driving and haven't noticed anything since.

How much danger am I in??

I've only driven on these tires about 10k miles....I really don't wanna buy all new ones again T_T

there is a third alternative, but it is risky long term. you can buy 2 new tires and put the new tires on one side of the car, driver side for instance and the 2 best old tires on the other side. the open diffs front and rear will compensate for the slight difference in tires size side to side and the average number of rotaions per mile for the front will be the same for the rear. so no binding.

the down side to this solution is that at some point in the future some one may rotate the tire so the ''new'' tires are both on the front, or rear, instead of one side.

plus the tires will wear out at different times so you end up faced with the same problem , needing 2 tires, at some point in the future.

how old are your tires? how many miles on them.?

Ok here's what happened. Complete story...

Last night, taking a corner, there was a rock I swerved outa the way for last second (as much as I can swerve safely at those speeds). Pulled over to inspect it and first impression was it is superficial. It is about a half inch by half inch loose rubber flap, 1 mm deep of rubber at the edge of gash, and comes to a point about 2mm deep. At the 2mm point, three threads are half exposed and one thread is broken already, but I get very paranoid about stuff like this haha.

I've never had this kind of tire issue so not much experience in this department, but in my head, common sense suggests that any sidewall damage is not good. Having said that though, this damage occurred on my way UP the mountain....I was smashing DOWN the mountain HARD, once or twice I got a little sideways, and one time I semi lost it and had to recover. Tire acted normal.

Arriving home, nothing happened with the tire, no more additional damage, no bulge, no weird feeling. Came home, did lots of internet research, and basically everyone had a different opinion, some say replace some say don't bla bla bla.

A bit of history on the tires: They've only been driven for about 10 to 11k miles, only just rotated it a second time. If I buy tires I gotta get all four. I drive my car hard but I take good care of it at the same time. Prior to this set of tires, I had to replace all 4 of my bridgestones which only had about 8k miles on it because a nail punctured the sidewalls.

So given my tire history, I really don't wanna buy new tires, especially if the damaged tire isn't showing any signs of losing structural integrity; However, it is only day 2! So at this point, my paranoia was telling me to get new tires, my stubbornness was telling me to not.

This morning, I stopped researching internet and headed out to get second and third opinions from tire people. Went to a few wheel works shops around here and they all said not to worry about it. If there's no leak, if there's no bulge, just leave it alone, don't glue it or nothing, just leave it alone. If you have three or more threads broken, then you may get bulging in the sidewall, or if the mesh has been damaged in the incident, which I don't believe is my case since my tire is shaped normally still. I know wheel works isn't the most reputable of shops, but my point is, they didn't try to sell me new tires.....which tells me that their actions reinforce what they are telling me verbally.

For now, I'm gonna keep the tire, keep an eye on it for a bulge forming or weird feelings when driving. Will update this thread if anything happens or if I die (then in which case I won't update the thread lol).

• I Donated

Your tire is destroyed. Stop looking for the answer you want to hear.

If you have exposed or broken threads in the sidewall, its a ticking time bomb.

If you decide to keep riding on that tire, not only are you stupid...but you also pretty much deserve what ever happens when that tire blows out. Why??? Because you have been warned.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

the guys at the tire shop will only laugh cause they may not have said it but you need new tires. Cause thats bad. My dad Works for bridgestone. Makes the tires. well fix's the things that make the tires. he laughed when he read that they said its safe..

• I Donated
Went to a few wheel works shops around here and they all said not to worry about it. If there's no leak, if there's no bulge, just leave it alone, don't glue it or nothing, just leave it alone. If you have three or more threads broken, then you may get bulging in the sidewall, or if the mesh has been damaged in the incident

They are giving you terrible advise. Take it from an expert on tires, get a new one. Its NOT safe. And it WILL blow out on you.

For now, I'm gonna keep the tire, keep an eye on it for a bulge forming or weird feelings when driving. Will update this thread if anything happens or if I die (then in which case I won't update the thread lol).

You won't see or feel it coming when the sidewall blows out at 80mph.

Damaging the sidewall reduces the strength of the tire. Your tire isn't able to withstand the immense heat that is generated while rolling if the sidewall is damaged. That one weak spot in your tire WILL spread and eventually blow out. Its a ticking time bomb.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
Okay okay!! Just ordered some tires and gonna replace em asap. For now gonna put my stockers back on to be safe.

Thanks for calling me out haha. I was looking for what I wanna hear lol.

Think I'm gonna try the new bridgestone potenzas

I'm glad to hear that you're making the smarter choice.

I have a set of Potenza RE01s and I LOVE them. They are the best tires I've ever had...but they are not quite an all season tire. They are borderline track tires. Rain, snow, ice, etc......forget about them lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Nah I'm looking for all-seasons. I've tried the RE960AS pole positions before the Advan S4's and actually like em better. They are discontinued though and instead now is little bit pricier RE970AS.

I have some time to think on this because I won't have time to get tires mounted and balanced anyways until next next weekend.

Yeah I have read a few things about them in some magazines. Will be my next tire.

I do however love my continential Extremecontact DWS's. Although they are a little soft and like to squeal under even light cornering. They are very grippy and hard for me to break loose.

Archived