LegacyGT.com

oil cooler leak? common issue with lgts?

hey guys I noticed on my last oil change that I had a slow leak coming from my oil cooler. just wondering if there is anything specific that causes this or is this something that just happens with our cars? also any hints on going about replacing this thing would be appreciated. thanks

so, you don't have to take off the crosspipe and you probably don't have to replace the cooler.

In my case, the leak was coming from the gasket where the cooler meets with the engine. Just make sure you clean really good around the area before you take it off. It's also a great time to put in a new thermostat, since you have to drain the coolant.

pretty good writeup here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/36964-diy-how-replace-oil-cooler-gasket-oil-filter-leak.html

thanks for the info. bought the gasket today but the dealer didn't have the crossover tube. plus I bought prestone coolant before looking on here and apparently were suppose to use just Subaru coolant?

I'm a purest and do used Subaru coolant and conditioner. But if you have green coolant then in theory it should be compatible with other green coolant.

Call the guy's at Fred beans, a vendor on here, they'll get you the pipe.

Also you can use any green coolant.

My new short block has some left over green Peak and Prestone from when I did the timing belt years ago and I topped it off with new Peak Global 50/50 pre mix.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived