LegacyGT.com

2.5 GT vs 3.0R

I would like to first thank everyone for their advice about maybe waiting for the 2010 (I have decided to go with the 2009).

Now I am looking through the forum and have come across the stutter issue for the 2.5GT which appears to be quite disturbing for those with it. The 3.0 will not have that issue. I understand that the 3.0 is slower and the opportunity for increasing performance is just not there. But, that is not an issue as I do not plan on making any modifications to the car whatsoever. I am not a performance nut, but I do appreciate a fast car. It will be used mostly for a short commute and then periodic 7+ hr drives between Rochester and NYC. The question basically boils down to: Is the risk of stutter worth it for the added performance of the 2.5GT (when it is kept stock).

I would appreciate any opinions!

Thank you,

Jesse

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha, i have strong will power (and will have overwhelming debt) as a deterrent! Sinster and Rao, why the 3.0? I just want to understand your reasoning...

Better reliability and easier (cheaper) maintenance (longer oil change interval); both because there's no turbo.

the H6 in the 3.0R has a smooth powerband, makes for a good cruiser. also as mentioned before being n/a there are slightly less issues with regards to oil and such, though gas mileage is not quite as good.

test drive it and see

I have not yet been able to drive the 3.0. I loved the 2.5GT but I am really concerned about the stutter issues that have been discussed on the forums and moding it is not a solution for me (I wish it was, but reality is harsh).

Currently it appears that the consensus is the 3.0 is better suited to the driving that I need to do and lower overall maintenance costs...yes?

I was debating the same thing as the OP. Glad I got the GT, but there are times where I wish I had the 3.0. I think I am going to get a '10 - '12 3.6. And the Wife is going to end up with a Beca eventually.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

The EZ30 motor inside the 3.0R is by far the smoothest 6 cylinder engine I have driven, comparable to a BMW with inline 6 motors my family used to own, and smoother than even the latest Toyota/Lexus and Honcura V6s.

3.0R is so smooth it will put Nissan VQ35 to shame, although VQ35 will blow EZ30 (and any other modern DOHC/SOHC V6) out of water in low-end torque and throttle response. In comparison, the Nissan VQ35 drives more like a small OHV V8.

The only complaint on the EZ30 is the sewing machine whine, not very sporty compared to BMW's mellow hum, but its no longer a problem after a pair of STi fart cans are installed at the back.

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/669/44586136kf7.jpg

Is the motor in the 3.0R the same 6 as in the 05 LLBean Outback? A friend recently got one and he let me take it for a spin. Very smooth and I would have no issue with owning one, though it also felt VERY slow/lazy compared to my Stg. 1 05 GT. He drove my car and said after... "Don't ever let me drive your car again, now mine feels slow."

Is the motor in the 3.0R the same 6 as in the 05 LLBean Outback? A friend recently got one and he let me take it for a spin. Very smooth and I would have no issue with owning one, though it also felt VERY slow/lazy compared to my Stg. 1 05 GT. He drove my car and said after... "Don't ever let me drive your car again, now mine feels slow."

Yes, the throttle response in the SI-Drive's standard "sport" mode of the 3.0R is sluggish due to 5EAT's up-shift happy shifting logic and EZ30's lack of low end punch. The EZ30+5EAT combo will work better after several weeks of learning a new driver's driving style (better, but not perfect).

However, flip the SI-Drive to "Sport Sharp" and the throttle response will sharpen and the 5EAT very down-shift happy. Drives like a different car.

And don't bother with the "intelligent" mode. Whoever programed this mode obviously lacks intelligence.

if you're getting an automatic transmission, the stutter issue that is MOST prevalent on this site will not affect you. seems to only be a MT issue (the one that stutters while you're climbing through RPMs in the 2k-4k range). if any AT's out there see otherwise please let me know.

so that stutter shouldn't have an effect on your purchase IF you are getting an automatic transmission.

as someone said...go drive both. get on them both when you're driving them, also drive them slow. drive it in any way possible to get a feel for how each car reacts to your inputs.

Yes, the throttle response in the SI-Drive's standard "sport" mode of the 3.0R is sluggish due to 5EAT's up-shift happy shifting logic and EZ30's lack of low end punch. The EZ30+5EAT combo will work better after several weeks of learning a new driver's driving style (better, but not perfect).

However, flip the SI-Drive to "Sport Sharp" and the throttle response will sharpen and the 5EAT very down-shift happy. Drives like a different car.

And don't bother with the "intelligent" mode. Whoever programed this mode obviously lacks intelligence.

If the 05s had SI drive I would understand that. It doesn't though. I was also driving in "manumatic" mode, so the shift logic wasn't doing squat. Maybe it was just the lack of turbo "punch" that I'm used to, but I was not overly impressed acceleration/performance wise...again in comparison to my 05 LGT @ Stg. 1, even stock to be honest.

Archived