LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed MCB Install Issue - 09

jasejase

Ok, so i got in on the group buy...

I have an 09 spec.b... VDC. Ran into some issues.

In summary, either the bottom mounting hole on the strut tower is 'off' on my car, or on the bracket. Not sure if it's an 09 issue, or what the deal is.

Basically the two bolts that attach towards the front of the car, that carry the brace, and the wiring bracket are good. If i install the bottom rear bolt next the master brace actually bumps the bottom of the master cylinder, and the top bolt hole is about a quarter inch off.

However, if i install the top bolt (of the rear bolts closer to the fire wall) the brace seems to fit much better and does NOT bump the MC. However, the bottom hole is a 1/4" or so off. So, the bottom mounting hole in the bracket is either incorrect, or the predrilled hole in the strut tower isn't right.

What are your thoughts about just using ONE of the rear bolts along with the two front bolts? think its even worth it? I guess i could also use a drill press, and make the bottom hole in the MCM larger, to allow for some fudge factor, use a washer with the bolt, and just make sure its tight.

Posted some pics...

Here is a pic of the hole off centered (top hole). it is a bit hard to see... but the angle to get a pic was horrible.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/jasejase1/photo3.jpg

Here is a pic of the angle of the MCB in relation to the MC when i screwed in the bottom rear hole first. Demonstrating that the bottom hole is incorrect, as this creates a huge angle, and rubs the bottom of the mcb.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/jasejase1/photo4.jpg

A close up of the MCB rubbing the bottom of the MC, when the lower bolt is screwed in. Again demonstrating that something isn't quite right with the placement of the lower bolt.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/jasejase1/photo5.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On mine there were 3 holes two were vertical and then one that was closer to the firewall about even with the top hole on the other one. Make sure you use the two holes that are one on top of the other. The hole that is closer to the is not used.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Per your request... the two bolt holes... As you can see there is still another bolt hole covered via the black circle further to the left. So i obviously wasnt using the wrong holes.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/jasejase1/photo6.jpg

I just did... forgot i had yours actually. i would have tried to put yours on too when i had it apart. However, they look identical. Its hard to match them up due to their odd shape, but i traced the flange with the three bolt holes onto paper, and it appears to match up.

As far as did i actually get the VDC model... The box says VDC. And they look like this:

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/jasejase1/photo7.jpg

Yes I did. I mentioned in my op that those two bolts lined up fine.

I can make the setup work by only using three total bolts. The two front ones that incorporate the brace and bracket, and the upper rear bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the 08's are going on just fine. likely just my car anyways.

I may just use three bolts. Or- If I get ambitious I can drill out the lower brace hole to a larger size to accommodate the misalignment.

I gotta say, it's an easy install. In 1.5 hours, I put it on and off about 3-4 times trying different variances each time. Lol

Yeah, may do that. Will just be a larger hole over the current one. It's off by 1/8" or so. Didn't have time today. Likely a job to do on the drill press.

There is no hole where your bottom green hole is drawn. If there was, it would be about 2" lower than it sits in my OP with pics... Which would put this brace as a glorified piece of extra weight. Sitting about 2" below the MC.

Yea, sorry. I just looked back at mine. Mine is bolted to the hole in the yellow circle and the hole in top green circle. There is no hole in the bottom green circle. Mine is only held on by the 2 bolts on that side and the 2 on the front.

Not sure what to say about this. Was your car even in an accident? Is it possible that your MC is misaligned?

Good luck with the fix. Contact Grimmspeed. They are great to work with. They let me return my license plate relocation kit because the RacerX blocked the tow hook hole (even through others were able to make it work).

Yep yep.. thats exactly the line up/pattern i was using as well in my attempt.

no accidents. The prior owner (super meticulous) had a minor rear ender (i have the repair estimate for it)... But nothing to do with the front panels. Even if you took the MC out of the equation, the bolt holes still are a slight amnt off on the inner strut tower.

I shot them a PM. Since NO one else has this issue - im sure its an isolated issue on my car. Im not sure what the purpose of those covered holes on our cars are to begin with... but im actually thinking my lower hole is off (wow). I will use a drill press and just auger it out to accomodate my incosistency, and use a washer on the bolt, and just make sure its torqued down.

Thanks for taking the time to look at yours, etc .. Appreciate it!

Interesting. Shoot them a PM... They would want to know. maybe it wasnt just my car, and perhaps its an 09 thing.

They said that they checked with engineering, and couldnt find any reason for this, short of it being an isolated incident on my car.

Archived