LegacyGT.com

Rim cleaning and removal of sticky substance on rims...

On several of my rims, I have a sticky substance that is collecting the dust faster than the rest of the wheel. It appears that this sticky stuff originated from the holes where the lug nuts are located and ran/dripped down the side of the rim. I was thinking that maybe water collected in the lug nut holes, mixed with something (brake dust??) and then dripped down the side of the rim when the car moved. Regular washing liquids won't take this sticky stuff off. And the sticky stuff hasen't grown/increased since they first appeared when I got the car.

What should I use to clean the rim? I don't want to use anything too powerful and strip off any protective coating on the wheels.

Anyone else have these sticky "drip" marks on their rims?

-S

That would be cosmoline! Subaru usues that liberally, it's a rust inhibitor. You can clean it as it oozes out, and eventually it clears out, or you can take off the wheels and clean it out!

You should use any wheel cleaner, or even mild degreasers. You won't strip the clearcoat with them, but you might want to wax the wheels afterwards, it helps make cleaning future brake dust a little easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
I'm glad I found this thread, I noticed this stuff on my wheels a few days after I got my legacy and I thought it was just tire dressing residue from the dealer....Until I realized it wouldn't come off with soap and water no matter how hard I tried. I just wanted to give this thread a bump for any other new legacy owners who may not know about this stuff or how to get it off

what kind of wheel is this? pics? i hope it's not chemical etching... what did you used to wash the wheels last?

When washing my car this weekend I noticed that I have some staining going on on some parts of the wheel... has turned a golden color and no scrubbing will take it off. Is there anyway to get my rims clean again?

MaStaMoon - I have this on my 2006 Civic SI wheels, and I'm desperate to get them back to new as well. I've never cleaned them with anything harsh, but I have left brake dust on them for up to maybe 6-8 weeks at a time.

Archived