LegacyGT.com

Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season

juicephoto

i need a new set of tires for the suby. i've been looking at the goodyear eagle f1 all season tire. what has everyone heard about them? who has them, and do you like em? where is the best and cheapest place to buy these tires? is there any other tire that you would recommend? thanks for the help

I nearly purchased these however at time winter traction was not known(apparently top tier for this tire type).

I will say call around locally as the prices listed on tirerack.com and tires.com were the same after including install fees.

got mine at tire rack and had them mounted & balanced locally for $80

unbelievable tire. They handle virtually the same in wet or dry conditions. A little noisy at low speeds but so what they are a very sticky tire. I have not driven them in the snow though

I just installed a set of F1 A/S a few days ago in Chicago, when it was 45 deg and spring-like. Two days after I installed them, we got 8" of new snow. I got them because I understand they're excellent in the wet, but I was psyched to get a chance to see how they work in snow.

In the one day I've had driving with them in the snow, I can confirm these things are a huge, huge improvement over the RE92s in wet snow and slush on my LGT sedan. My wife has a LGT wagon with Kumho ASXs, and these are obviously a much, much better tire that those, too.

The Goodyears' additional grip actually takes a bit of getting used to, since I had become accustomed to 4-wheel drifts around snowy corners with even a little bit of power with the RE92s and ASXs. Today, I took my sedan around a parking lot to get a sense of the F1s' limits. It was actually strange: whereas the RE92s and ASXs just slide around progressively in those conditions (i.e., very little traction, although the Kumhos are better than the Bridgestones), the F1s slip and grip, slip and grip, which means you have to be modulate throttle and saw the steering wheel a bit to keep yourself going in the same direction. Basically, the F1s' traction is vastly superior, although in deep snow they will slip a bit like anything else until they can dig in. In my experience, the RE92s would not have gotten any sort of traction at all in those conditions. The ABS also didn't get nearly as involved with the F1s as it used to with the Bridgestones or my wife's Kumhos--another indication the Goodyears have much higher winter traction limits.

After tossing the F1s around in the lot, on the way home I got a bit frisky with the additional traction and gave it too much of the boot in a sweeping turn in my neighborhood. . . I carried to rear end too far around and looped it. No damage (we don't have curbs in my 'hood, thank God!), but the limits on these things are much higher. . . just not *that* high.

Color me impressed and happy. I paid $130/tire at Tire Rack, and you get a $50 rebate if you buy a set of 4 by early April. Installed for $85 at the local NTB.

thanks. i've looked around town, and to just buy these tires at discount, they would cost nearly 800 bucks. on tire rack with shipping 540. a bit of savings.

the set of tires that i have now is the continental extreme contacts. they are nice and have had a great life span, but their ice traction is not the greatest. once i started to slide it was hard to bring it back. strange to say about a suby.

it's great to hear about the snow driving abilities with these tires. i live in colorado, at the base of the foothills and drive into the mountains weekly. i need a tire that can perform very well in slick conditions. so far these sound like the tire of choice for me.

• 5 months later...
once i started to slide it was hard to bring it back. strange to say about a suby.

Well, take ice for what it is: damn slippery ;)

AWD will only take you so far if your tires can't bite into what they're in contact with. You could go as far as buying studded winters to cover your "worst case scenario", but at what compromise? Plus, how often do you encounter ice which would be totally unmanageable on a non-studded set of winter tires?

I'm the same way...I tend to plan for the "worst case scenario" conditions, then end up hating myself when those conditions never happen (or happen infrequently) and I'm left running a set of tires which suck for the conditions I am seeing frequently :lol:

Tim

ps: I'm seriously considering the Eagle F-1 A/S', too...even though I can only get them in a 235 as opposed to the stock 225 size, so they'll tend to be slightly worse in the snow for me given their increased footprint over stock.

I put at set of Eagle F1 A/S on my legacy back in Jan and have loved em ever since...great handling wet and dry and had no problems climbing and descending a snow covered dirt access road...only thing i will say is ive put prob 10,000 mi on em now and there does seem to be more road noise developing nothing too bad tho and most of the time I have my system thumpin so the tire noise doesnt matter anyways

Agreed. Put a set on my wife's car. A little noisy on grooved pavement, but not what I would consider a loud tire. Quieter than the Proxes 4 that came off the car.

So how did you like the Proxes 4's? How were they on the dry/wet/snow? How'd they wear? Only asking because they were recommended to me for my old 7-Series by some fellow enthusiasts.

So overall you really like the F1-A/S' in all conditions?

Thanks,

Tim

So how did you like the Proxes 4's? How were they on the dry/wet/snow? How'd they wear? Only asking because they were recommended to me for my old 7-Series by some fellow enthusiasts.

So overall you really like the F1-A/S' in all conditions?

Thanks,

Tim

The Proxes were okay in the snow, its hard to really rate an A/S in the snow when I run dedicated M/S snow tires in the winter. My biggest complaint was the noise. They were loud, at all speeds, on all pavement, and had plenty of tread left in them. When two were bubbled by pot holes during the winter, that was my reason to get them off the car.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I think the LGT is designed with some alignment setting that disagree with these tires.

For some reason they wear unevenly and start to become unbearable.

For me the resonating frequency hits from 30mph to 45 mph.

I can't wait till I can afford some new rubber and personally take these to the shredder

• 3 weeks later...
I think the LGT is designed with some alignment setting that disagree with these tires.

For some reason they wear unevenly and start to become unbearable.

For me the resonating frequency hits from 30mph to 45 mph.

I can't wait till I can afford some new rubber and personally take these to the shredder

How many miles do you have on your F1 A/S? How often did you rotate them? What pressure are you running them at?

I just had an insane thought. :spin: I wonder what would happen if you took a noisey direction tread pattern tire and ran it for a few thousand miles with the pattern going in the reverse direction. Would it counter act what ever wear is causing the tire to become noisey? :icon_conf Obviously you could only try this during the summer when it is least likely to rain because the tires would probably be scary in the wet with the pattern running in reverse.

Archived