LegacyGT.com

First impression before install OEM XM

ZMAN Z28

UPS just dropped off my XM kit for the factory radio. The kit comes in 2 boxes. Clarion makes the receiver. The receiver is a little smaller than a DvD case, and a little wider than a DvD case. I didn't open up the antenna yet. I'm charging the battery to the camera, pix to come later.

ZMAN

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
? I didn't realize the factory radio was only "XM ready"...I thought it came with the tuner, antenna, etc. ready to go + 3 months of trial service? Did you have to pay extra for this thing?
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

UPS just dropped off my XM kit for the factory radio. The kit comes in 2 boxes. Clarion makes the receiver. The receiver is a little smaller than a DvD case, and a little wider than a DvD case. I didn't open up the antenna yet. I'm charging the battery to the camera, pix to come later.

ZMAN

Someone should try to see if the Clarion SIR-CL2 (sirius) tuner would also work :)

? I didn't realize the factory radio was only "XM ready"...I thought it came with the tuner, antenna, etc. ready to go + 3 months of trial service? Did you have to pay extra for this thing?

It's an option for the 07

ZMAN

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/ZMAN_Z28/XM1-1.jpg

I like both Sirius and XM. I used to have Sirius before my Camaro got broken into. The songs on the stations I listened to got a bit repetative. I've only driven around with friends who have XM. I'm not an expert on XM, but I enjoyed it also. They both are way better than FM radio.

ZMAN

Can you please respond in the forum and describe how much info is displayed on the head unit when listening to XM?

Do you get the song title and artist on the display?

Does it show channel name as well as number (Fred, Lucy, Ethel, Flight 26)?

I have an audiovox XM receiver right now and I like that it has a fairly large display to show long song names and artist names... I'd really like to know how well the factory XM unit works in that respect.

Can you please respond in the forum and describe how much info is displayed on the head unit when listening to XM?

I have an audiovox XM receiver right now and I like that it has a fairly large display to show long song names and artist names... I'd really like to know how well the factory XM unit works in that respect.

+1

I'm getting the install done on Monday. I'm curious as well.

Install is tomorrow, after which, I'll let you guys know. When I play MP3's on CD the only info that is displayed is F01 and T01 etc etc. So I'm not expecting much info.

ZMAN

I had the XM installed by the dealer when I purchased my car. I am very happy with it as the reception is superior to both my wifes Honda Accord EX factory XM and my old MyFi that had it's antenna mounted to my Audi's dashboard. I have not had one reception dropout. In comparison the MyFi would lose signal at least 10 times on my way home from work. My wifes Accord ( Honda factory roof mount antenna) would lose signal about 5 times.

The display is worked by the "TEXT" button on the console. The top line is fixed and shows XM channel number and which preset group you have chosen with the rest of the line showing info about the 6 CD changer. There are 3 possible preset groups for the 6 buttons (so 18 presets in total). The presets are chosen by pressing the Sat button on the console. The next line is selectable and can show channel name, song title, artist, and category (like Jazz, Rock, Classical, etc.). The display while physically smaller then my wifes' Honda display seems to show more data - certainly more then my old MyFi.

I was concerned that the antenna is mounted on the inside upper left (passenger side) of the windshield but it is not visible at all from outside the car thanks to the top window tint and it really doesn't intrude or annoy from the inside.

I also had the factory subwoofer added and with the SRS turned on the stock unit sounds surprisingly good. With XM, MP3, WMA and my iPod connected to the Aux my commute has improved:icon_wink

As you can tell - my family prefers XM!

Is there a part number or manufacturer listed anywhere for the antenna? Also, can you take some good pics of the antenna itself (including connectors) before it goes in? That would be much appreciated, thank you!

Is there a part number or manufacturer listed anywhere for the antenna? Also, can you take some good pics of the antenna itself (including connectors) before it goes in? That would be much appreciated, thank you!

No part numbers are visible from the mounted position. I've attached a thumbnail showing it mounted and also an external shot so that you can see the antenna is not visible from outside the car.

Here is a link to the Subaru site page where you can download the Installation Guide for the 2007 Satellite Radio (XM) as a pdf for viewing:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSearchFree.jsp?publication_type=12&text_keyword=&keyword=&free_pub=13

Looks like the 07's are prewired to under the moonroof switch where the XM antenna from the kit then hooks up. The antenna wire running under the headliner from the antenna to the moonroof switch unit is tucked into the headliner and so is not visible.

100_0190.thumb.jpg.814751c5a267042a6745ecda2b0063a3.jpg

100_0179.thumb.jpg.71c18b293f91d5de80ec81e6779460e3.jpg

Hey all

Will this work on an 05 Legacy. I see that there is a Legacy XM Satellite Radio accessory on the Subaru Canada Page... But... will we be able to install on an 05 Legacy?[/quote

It only works on 07's right now. If you were to upgrade to a 07 radio, it would then.

Z

I had the XM installed by the dealer when I purchased my car. I am very happy with it as the reception is superior to both my wifes Honda Accord EX factory XM and my old MyFi that had it's antenna mounted to my Audi's dashboard. I have not had one reception dropout. In comparison the MyFi would lose signal at least 10 times on my way home from work. My wifes Accord ( Honda factory roof mount antenna) would lose signal about 5 times.

As an RF engineer, I'm suprised to hear this. I got to see the XM hardware and antenna installation way back in May, and I was very suprised to see that Subaru mounted their satellite antenna inside of the car. Satellite radio has line-of-sight reception only, and typically if the antenna isn't on the highest point of the car there will be dropouts. Subaru's antenna location is rather odd, and seems like the A pillars and roof would block the signal from certain directions.

I went through A LOT of trouble to install my XM antenna. Maybe when this one wears out I'll try replacing it with the Subaru OEM antenna.

http://aaron.huba.home.comcast.net/on_car.jpg

As you can tell - my family prefers XM!

It's addictive. I already have 2 subscriptions, and I'm getting subscriptions for my parents as Christmas gifts.

Acutally, XM now has Trestrial Antennas that don't have line of sight requirements. If I am in the range of a trestrial antenna, I can be under a in the woods with no sight of the sky, my antenna inside the car under the seet and still get great reception. But the trestrial antennas are few and far in between. I tested this with my myfi2 after I got it.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Archived