LegacyGT.com

Spec B or 3.0 R?

androxt

Try to test drive both and I'm sure you'll be laughing at yourself for even considering the 3.0R ;)

Unless of course, for some reason, you need AT...

:icon_redf

Two completely different cars.

They both have Bilsteins but the 3.0 has different valving from what I understand.

Another SpecB snob.

keep in mind the Spec B - 6MT only, 3.0R - automatic only.

3.0R also has SI drive, i test drove one, fiddled around with the SI Drive, it really doesnt make much of a diff on the H6 motor.

also driving it around, the suspension feel felt the same as a stock Spec B, for what its worth. It definitely had the same Bilstein struts.

I have the brochure and the suspension is not the same. Both get the Bilstein struts and same springs...both are inverted up front. However, the Spec B also has the alumimum-alloy control arms up front and aluminum-alloy rear arms and upper links.

I have pondered both quite considerably as I plan to make a purchase in the coming months. I would like the 3.0R so I could possibly boost it down the road. But I don't want an automatic and the torque output is low. I'm going to opt for the Spec B. I'm afraid if I got the 3.0R I would greatly miss the turbocharger.

I have the brochure and the suspension is not the same. Both get the Bilstein struts and same springs...both are inverted up front. However, the Spec B also has the alumimum-alloy control arms up front and aluminum-alloy rear arms and upper links.

I have pondered both quite considerably as I plan to make a purchase in the coming months. I would like the 3.0R so I could possibly boost it down the road. But I don't want an automatic and the torque output is low. I'm going to opt for the Spec B. I'm afraid if I got the 3.0R I would greatly miss the turbocharger.

I assume that the aluminum bits lower the unsprung weight and give the Spec B a bit of a handling edge. Not to mention that the 6-speed allows the opportunity to row the gears a bit more freely.

Sounds about right, and logical. What are you wanting to get out of the car? My WRX is a stock looking vehicle with a Cobb 2.5 setup. I'm tired of the loud exhaust on the highway and I'm simply looking for abit more refinement, slight luxury, but still some performance to satisfy my craving. I'm trying to wait until SEMA to see if there's going to be a Tuned by STI version but I'm not sure if I can wait that long.

lets play nice boys. bosco

Thank you.

I assume that the aluminum bits lower the unsprung weight and give the Spec B a bit of a handling edge. Not to mention that the 6-speed allows the opportunity to row the gears a bit more freely.

Correct, the 6-speed is bullet-proof.

lol

I have an 05 Mini Cooper S which I love, but want something that has more space, more mass/size as I have a new daughter, yet retains a significant sporting nature as far as performance, feel, concept, etc.. Also I appreciate the styling both outside and inside...it looks to be a cabin I'll enjoy and enjoy having clients in.

I would go with the Spec B. I think you, like me, would miss that supercharger. You still get the same cabin size and luxury amenities. I'm in my mid-30's and I think clients won't me turned off by anything about the car. This is also kind of why I'm tired of my loud WRX and I have to drive my truck for times like that and dates. Women my age don't really care about power but they do notice a loud interior rumble. You'll probably get more 'wow' from them and 'I didn't realize Subaru made cars like this' comments. Just don't go overboard with mods and keep the exhaust quiet. I also think that the alcantara inserts will provide more grip to the bum versus all leather. I don't plan to do any power mods other than a Cobb AccessPort to raise the hp to 295 with no additional parts, and maybe the STI mufflers.

If you're interesting in all the JDM parts you can put on the Legacy, check out this SOJ site...

http://www.subaru.jp/accessory/legacy/index.html

3.0R pulled a whopping 172whp, 165 wtq on a dynojet today :D. Amazing, aint it? Sport also pulled better numbers than sport #

Mike

What #'s does the 2.5GT/Spec B usually put down stock on dynos?

What #'s does the 2.5GT/Spec B usually put down stock on dynos?

welcome to the forum. this spec. b info is been posted so many times it makes me crazy so as not to hj this thread with useless dribble please "search". bosco

the upper right corner :)

Stay Stock Stay Happy

the 3.0r is more "upper class" next to a spec b

the spec b is just a little better than a lgt

the lgt is better than a 2.5i

what do you mean "upper class"? It's not like there is a big price diff between these cars. Personally, I think the 3.0 non-turbo Subaru is not for the true subaru enthusiasts :lol:

the 3.0r is "geared" for a class of people with a little more money and that understand that going from 0-60 is not as important.

I think the 3.0r is for people that are afraid of turbos and dont like runing high octane gas. Not sure why you think someone with "more" money would want the 3.0r, considering it's $500 less than a LGT limited and $2200 less than a Spec B.

not me, and I make 250k+ :). I think the 3.0r is for people that are afraid of turbos and dont like runing high octane gas.

as far as the gas goes...premium is recommended.

the 3.0r can run on all three grades of gas.

each legacy has it's own mission and it is perceived that a car with more cylinders is considered "moving up" into a higher class of cars.

as far as performance, yes the 3.0r is slower than the lgt or spec b but, it can get out of it's own very nicely.

as far as handling the outback 3.0r's can keep up with the lgt on the winding back roads, although stressed. the new 3.0r should bee even better than the 3.0r outback .

btw i had a 2004 wrx with mods.

Archived