LegacyGT.com

Cold Air Intake

OK. NA Legacys need an intake.

as i previously posted:

well, lets see here, we have a problem, so lets do something about it

theres enough N/A guys here that want a legit intake, so therefore we should coordinate with a reputable company; AEM, Ingen, Perrin, Cobb, etc...

we should pick one of those companys, and email them, (all of us).

it would be sortof like a petiton.

its worth it and its not alot of work on our part to set things in motion for a legit CAI for our cars.

I'll probably start a new thread in the NA section concerning this.

This is what we know:

Our MAF housing is connected to the airbox, so we cannot use the factory mounting position.

A few members attemted to make a CAI using cone filters and custom piping, it worked, then the MAF threw a code and the motor ran too lean.

I believe both of these problems can be eliminated if a reputable company such as the stated above does a little R&D. Its done for other cars and it will work for NA Legacys too.

Think of it this way, when the first Civic came out, Honda had no idea what people would do to them, and at first I'm willing to bet that a Civic owner would run into similar problems to the ones we are facing now.

Everything has to start somewere.

If there is enough interest in a bolt on CAI for our cars, the manufacurers of these products will take notice. Just because its not the High-end model of the car doesnt mean it has no potential.

You dont see Integra Type R guys telling the LS guys to not bother wasting money, you wont get anywere....(my friends Integra LS is as fast as my other friends 06 WRX...no turbo in LS, just headers CAI catback)

So I'd like to see who would be interested in sending emails to Manufacturers such as:

AEM

Ingen

Cobb Tuning

Perrin

Fugita

*Any other NON-EBAY brand i may have missed.

*I have the Ebay intake, and i like it, i think it is a great idea, im not talking down on it, but I'm trying to help move things along when it comes to parts for our cars.

So give me your thoughts...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im dyeing for a reputable company like AEM on Injen to make a bolt on intake for the NA legacy. We should all come up with a good letter to the company stating the problem we face. Then we can all send them it and see what they have to say!

you are fighting for a lost cause. there are only 50-60 of us wanting to mod our cars, so i doubt aem or anyone lese for that matter would deal with an intake for us.

on a honda is a lot easier to go for an intake since they did not used a MAF sensor until 04 or so.

Pester Rallitek about it and have them contact me, I'll take my car in.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Like "ebpda9" said, you're wasting your time. Out of the handful of 2.5i owners out there, just a fraction of you actually want to "mod" your cars. I'd be willing to say not nearly enough to make any these companies take a serious look into building an intake. Sorry, just not enough $$ in it for them.:( NOW, go build yourself a custom CAI!!!!:icon_twis

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I use the K&N typhoon with great results. There seems to be some concern that subbies run lean with a standard open air system however. I have tried to read all that I can but can not seem to get proof that this is truely a problem with non modded cars.

My experience is: I ran a K&N typhoon on a 2003 WRX for 2 years with no problems. I know the car is still running, as I have taked to the new owner just a couple of weeks ago. I have been running a K&N typhoon on my LGT for the last 6 months.

I did a test with a GTech pro RR and according to the calculations it provides 18 more HP. It took 0-60 mph times from 5.8 to 5.35. If you add 18 hp onto the 250 and divide the weight of the Car per HP you get 12.76 which puts it over in hp per pound to a WRX. Standard WRXs are 13.8.

All tests were done in 30 degree temps so the time and power will change but not by large amounts.

The K&N take a heat shield and partitions off the filter from the engine compartment with a heat shield, making it more CAI than most short systems and even alot of hang down in the fender systems.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the link: http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...5;t=000985;p=1

BUT it looks like COBB has started a new forum and all the old stuff is still being moved over?

Here's a thread for a guy that was making them...well made one for himself then tried to sell them...then he gave up I guess? http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33681

The only one that I have seen that seemed to be actually taking the MAF into account never responded on what it was or who made it...go figure...either that or it didn't work and he yanked it. Here's the thread for that.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31244&highlight=SPONGE

So in a nut shell this is a dead end...a lost cause...beating a dead horse that I have kicked the crap out of.

I'll keep checking in on the threads but I have given up hope...

Ok after digging around on their site here is what I have found...we'll see what else they come back with from the email

Short Ram Intake

for

05+ RS/Forester/Baja/Legacy having 'MAF' Sensor

http://www.xcceleration.com/images/gpm/GPMotParts1.jpg

Using the same design feature of the velocity stack found on the inlet to the MAF sensor in the factory box this cast aluminum intake carries the velocity stack radius outward to mate up with a 4.5" high flow cone filter.

$229.99

If you read the last post the intake was for a WRX not a LG NA. The main point would be to measure the intake ID and then purchase a short ram and try it. You might try a used typhoon from K&N and see where that goes.

I think you would want to datalog the results to make sure the maf is reporting correctly and you are not runing lean. The only difference from my LGT Typhoon and my WRX was the shielding and a slight turn in the intake pipe, I would guess the ID is the same, but no longer have the WRX so measurement is not possible.

Archived