LegacyGT.com

Key FOBs not working...

Alright, so I finally went through the dash rattle thread and fixed the annoying dash rattle. I am mentioning this as I feel it may be somewhat related, but could not be at all.

At or around the same time I noticed that my main key FOB had stopped working. In the approaching months it had been seemingly more difficult to activate the lock or unlock and especially the trunk. So, I thought to replace the battery, but to no avail.

I went and searched for my other key FOB and that FOB did not work either. So, I coincidentally replaced the battery in that FOB as well and no result.

So, following the procedure from cars101.com I attempted to reprogram the remote thinking that in taking the dash apart had somehow cleared the system. I believe I received all the appropriate beeps and boops to complete the process including the doors locking and unlocking at the conclusion of the number entering.

BUT...neither of the key FOBs still work and I have no idea what else to check. Any ideas?

I really don't want to have to take it to the dealer because I just assume they never touch my car, but I feel as though it may come down to that.

Thanks.

Monk

Are you good with a soldering iron? If you are, you may try resoldering the 4 corners of the little buttons inside the key fob, carefully because they're tiny. They do wear with age and may break contact. Happened on one of mine. Might just be coincidence that they both stopped working at the same time. When mine went, however, not all the buttons went at the same time. I had problems with the lock button, but trunk and unlock still worked.

Still, worth checking it out.

Are you good with a soldering iron? If you are, you may try resoldering the 4 corners of the little buttons inside the key fob, carefully because they're tiny. They do wear with age and may break contact. Happened on one of mine. Might just be coincidence that they both stopped working at the same time. When mine went, however, not all the buttons went at the same time. I had problems with the lock button, but trunk and unlock still worked.

Still, worth checking it out.

Good idea. I just disassembled both keys and did not notice any loose connections on either circuit board. Thanks for the tip though.

solar activity can disrupt EMR remote devices. I have no clear evidence but more than once both my remote fobs failed to work for hours on end despite replacing batteries and later/next day they worked fine. I once had an issue with my garage door opener acting up...later I learned there had been some more active than usual sun-spot activity. Are your remotes still not working?

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived