LegacyGT.com

Cubby PLX Guages Install

Flinkly

So i'm new to my OBXT (5/08/11), but need a wideband for tuning, so i went the distance and designed up a cubby pod for my needs. i don't have alot of pics yet, but i can post details if anyone has specific questions.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z471/flinkly/Subaru/Cubby%20Gauges/IMG_7012.jpg

My girlfriend likes that the cubby door closes, so she doesn't have to see it if she doesn't want to. The two USB ports are to connect to my tactrix and the PLX AFR output for datalogging. Quite alot of parts went into it, and designed the pod itself in ProE and had it rapid prototyped. Routing wires and tubing was the worst. I keep a spare wire in the dash now just so I can route things easier.

I'll update later with more details...

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z471/flinkly/Subaru/Cubby%20Gauges/IMG_7010.jpg

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ha, was looking through my subscribed threads and saw that I left some un-answered questions here.

so for this "original" cubby pod (my first version), the gauges (and their sensor modules) are both from PLX Devices. Boost and AFR wideband to be specific. I actually don't think they have these gauges anymore, but maybe on the fleabay.

the two usb connectors (which I've since cleaned up to a USB hub inside the dash, and routed the plug to the arm rest center console) I bought on mouser, and modified. they are from a company called Bulgin. I bought these ones because they had a lot of options and they were all smaller (took up less space on the face of the cubby pod) than others I found thru google searches. To modify them, I clamped them in a mill and took the plastic threads down so it didn't stick out so far.

other than that, it's just a rapid prototyped plastic piece that holds it all inside the cubby pod.

truth be told, i'm rethinking the whole thing as I cut my radio up to put in an 8 inch screen and carputer. for that, i'm thinking of putting the radio display where the clock is, keeping the climate controls and screen right where they are, 8 inch touch screen where the stock radio is now, and keeping the two gauges right where they are. toying with keeping the 6 disk cd changer installed somewhere, like the glovebox, and need to find a spot for all the radio buttons that I don't already have on the steering wheel.

anyways...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Archived