LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

• 2 weeks later...

I want to do this on my '05 Outback XT 5MT (I started by reading all 300+ posts here). I found someone locally selling a drivetrain from an '05 STI. I will be getting a mechanic to do the swap for me.

From the '05 STI I'll be getting: transmission, rear diff, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, clutch fork, shifter and shifter linkage. I'll get a driveshaft from a 4EAT wagon. I'll get the aftermarket DCCDPro controller. I'll buy new seals (the 5 listed) and a new shift knob. There is a question as to whether I can use my stock rear axle. Am I missing anything?

Has anyone done this on an Outback yet? What do I need to check on the rear axle to know if it will work?

I want to do this on my '05 Outback XT 5MT (I started by reading all 300+ posts here). I found someone locally selling a drivetrain from an '05 STI. I will be getting a mechanic to do the swap for me.

From the '05 STI I'll be getting: transmission, rear diff, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, clutch fork, shifter and shifter linkage. I'll get a driveshaft from a 4EAT wagon. I'll get the aftermarket DCCDPro controller. I'll buy new seals (the 5 listed) and a new shift knob. There is a question as to whether I can use my stock rear axle. Am I missing anything?

Has anyone done this on an Outback yet? What do I need to check on the rear axle to know if it will work?

I am doing the same thing to an outback XT. Been researching but no parts yet.

Anyway I'm pretty positive you will need Spec B axels.

Spec B axels fit the R180 rear diff but also fit the legacy rear hubs.

Front axels slide right into the STI tranny.

Should be R160 with 4.44 gears

Then your choice is to get a R160 with 3:90 gears to use your OEM axles. Or buy 07-09 Spec.B axles. To use the R180 rear diff that's coming with you 6MT.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

** 04 6MT will need new axle seals to use LGT front axles. (Part numbers here)

6MT shift linkage (Preferably Spec B; the Impreza shift linkage is shorter) (Is this still true for 08+ Impreza?)

6MT clutch fork - 30530AA050

6MT clutch release shaft - 30532AA020

6MT clutch slave cylinder - 30620AA172 - alternate:30620AA173

6MT clutch hose

6MT throw-out bearing

6MT rear transmission mount (same part for Spec B and Impreza)

6MT rear transmission crossmember (same part for Spec B and Impreza)

Reverse lockout cable - 35060AG010

Downpipe support bracket - 44021FE030

Clutch fork shaft plug (threaded cap that holds the fork shaft in) - 30550AA000 (04-05, and probably 06, but not 07+)

Output Shaft Oil Seal (oil seal for the driveshaft interface) - 806735210 - $11.50

Clutch fork spring (spring that connects clutch fork to bell housing) - 30546AA060 - $5.20

Inner shift boot (foam/rubber, mostly for noise insulation, you can reuse the 5MT if you trim it)

Great thread NSFW! Much more organized and more detail than the "Master" thread. I'm trying to make sure I have everything before installation, so I have some questions about these small parts. I'm also getting 05 STI parts with Spec B axles, so it should be similar to your experience.

You say 04 6MT needs new front axle seals, but the post with the part numbers says for 05. Did you use these seals with your 05?

You say 6MT for your list of small stuff, which I assume means STI is ok. The "reverse lockout cable" appears to be Spec B only, but the "downpipe support bracket" looks like STI and Spec B is the same part. I can't say for the clutch fork shaft plug and spring, but they're only a few bucks new. If I needed to buy the Spec B shift linkage new, do you have a part number for that? And the shift boot?

Any other small things you may of left off? Thanks again.

Thanks! I made this thread mostly because I got tired of hunting for information in the other thread. I'm glad you find it helpful too. :)

If I remember right the seals that I ordered (part number above) were identical to the ones that came in the 6MT that I received. I put the new ones in anyway. I think I may have ordered the seals before I knew which trans I was getting, since they're important and not very expensive.

I bought a spec B short-shift kit, which included the shift lever, reverse lockout, and the rod that connects the base of the shifter to the trans. I don't have the part number handy but it shouldn't be hard to find, lots of shops sell those OEM spec B short-shift kits. (I lucked out and got a lightly used kit from a member who was parting out a spec B.) The STI reverse lockout cable is probably a little be shorter than the spec B lockout, since the STI assembly has the shift lever about an inch forward (closer to the trans) compared to where the spec B's is.

For the shift boot, frank-ster showed me the way - you can cut off the top of the 5MT boot, and use an O-ring to secure it to the collar below the shift knob. You'd have to look very close to realize it's not factory.

I'm pretty sure the clutch fork shaft and spring are the same for the spec B and STI.

If you click on those part numbers, they'll take you to opposedforces.com, which has exploded views of STI and spec B 6MTs. It's great for finding part numbers for random stuff, and for cross-referencing between different models.

I think that the first couple posts in this thread list everything I bought while I was preparing for the swap. I basically used this thread to keep track of what I needed and what I ordered, so it should be complete. And If I missed anything, I'm not likely to remember it now. :)

Edited by NSFW

So lets say I were to go the route of an 05 STi 6spd for my 05 Outback XT.

The outbacks have an R180 rear diff with a 4.444 final drive gear ratio.

Would this be compatible? There is an 05 STi at a salvage yard not too far from me that is nearly complete available for partout.

I know the outback has 4.44 gears, but is it an R180????

Where did this info come from and is there a way to tell by looking at it? I would assume it would be easy to verify.

I know the outback has 4.44 gears, but is it an R180????

Where did this info come from and is there a way to tell by looking at it? I would assume it would be easy to verify.

Subaru Outbacks (1996 - 2009) built on the Legacy chassis, all come with the R160 rear differentials. The difference in gearing (4.44) is due to the Outback's larger tire circumference. All Legacy chassis, except the latter model Spec Bs, all have R160 differentials. Not sure about the 2010+ Legacy/Outback, but presume that this is still the case. The only USDM R180s that I'm aware of are the SVX, STI and the Tribeca.

I didn't read through everything in these two links, but I know that overall length of the R160 v-a-v the R180 is exactly the same, and both can be made to accept each other's axles and R&P, and with few modifications, can easily substitute for each other. Both of these are from Nasioc.com

Differential FAQ

Differential Info

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks Subie.... I didn't think that captainmorgan was correct and by the way just about to pull the trigger on the 6 speed swap. I have the motor as you know but may delay putting it in and use the money for the tranny swap.

However, the R180 is taller and wider than the R160 and you can't put an R180 (180mm R&P) into a R160 (160mm R&P). Also the "differential" in the R160 is so puny that I wouldn't even consider it a differential.

OK guys what clutch are you running with the 6 speed swap?

Also if you have the ACT with street disc do you have deceleration noise like everyone is getting with the ACT / 06 WRX flywheel in the 5 speed?

Getting ready to do this soon I hope if the deal goes through....

I have the Exedy twin, and I have the decel noise.

I also have the twin's clatter when the clutch is pressed in.

I think the decel noise comes from the gearbox itself, and it's not likely to be affected by the clutch choice. The dual-mass flywheel that came stock on my 05 kept it quiet, but when I went to the 06 WRX flywheel (with the 5MT) I had the decel noise. I'm not aware of any DMFWs for the 6MT.

II made a few passes at 30+ psi without any slippage. My R180 broke before the clutch slipped:(

Wow - may be time to move up to the R200 then...:eek:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I am using an ACT Extreme PP with the street disk and it hold up fine for me. I made a few passes at 30+ psi without any slippage. My R180 broke before the clutch slipped:(

Any deceleration noise with this one.

In my research I think it is the springs in the disc rattling on the aftermarket clutches when the gearbox lash hits a sort of resonant frequency. Usually this is damped by the dual mass flywheel or the fact that the stock clutch disc does not have this issue.

I will be running 350/373 to the wheels but if I turn boost up I may be at about 400/430 to the wheels.

So Im looking for a clutch that is fairly quiet that can handle that power or just go with the stock one.

Edited by Scooby2.5