LegacyGT.com

LuchadorJose's 2008 SpecB

luchadorjose

• I Donated Too

SO where to start... Back in August/Spetember of 2011, I bought a 2008 DGM Legacy GT automatic. It wasn't long before I was completely in love with it. Went stage 2+, suspension mods, all sorts of stuff.

Then I started to realize that I would enjoy a manual car better (I didn't know how to drive stick well until some ctsubie members taught me, and the automatic SUCKED power) so I started to look for another Legacy.

At first I was looking for a 5 speed, and I realized they were hard to find. SO hard to find in fact that it gave me time to think, and I realized that if i was going to do the stupid thing of buying a car one year after buying almost the same car, I might as well do it right and get the best version available to me.

Four months of searching later, I had a QSM specB delivered to me from Michigan, in pristine condition. 56K miles on the clock and bone stock except for the SPT short shifter. I was in love as soon as my left foot found the third pedal. On the first day:

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t434/senseiosay/IMG_0004_zps958e6ddb.jpg

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t434/senseiosay/IMG_0001_zps78c0b574.jpg

A week or two later, I started putting on the parts that made daily driving more enjoyable, catback, sways, endlinks. Old and new, both under the knife.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t434/senseiosay/IMG_0008_zpsfef4e31e.jpg

Since then, I've been enjoying every minute of my car, as it becomes the beast that the automatic never could have been. I've taken it to one autocross event so far

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t434/senseiosay/IMG_0012_zps2fc9eb3d.jpg

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t434/senseiosay/IMG_0013_zpsfce202f0.jpg

And here comes the mod list, including parts pending installation

Power:

VF52, grimmspeed port/polish/coated

Grimmspeed TMIC

Invidia catless downpipe

ARK titanium single exit catback

Forge recirc BOV

Grimmspeed EBCS

NGK 1 step colder plugs

DW65C fuel pump

AVO after-MAF hose

K&N drop in panel filter with snorkus delete

TGV deletes

Air pump deletes

Invidia equal length race header

Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe

Tial MVR 40mm external wastegate

Mishimoto turbo inlet

ID1000's

Custom dual catch can PCV setup

Grimmspeed EBCS

Drivetrain:

ACT HD-SS 6MT clutch

SPT short throw shifter

Group N STI transmission mount

Kartboy Front Shifter Stay

Kartboy Rear Shifter Stay

TiC Shifter Pivot Bushings

TiC Shifter Linkage Bushings

Whiteline Positive Shift Kit (transmission crossmember bushings)

Torque Solutions Driveshaft Carrier Bushings

Whiteline Rear Diff Inserts

Whiteline Rear diff cradle bushings

Kartboy Rear Subframe Bushings

Group N STI motor mounts

Torque solutions pitch stop

Suspension

Fortune Auto 500 coilovers with thrust bearing upgrades

Custom spring rate Swift springs and custome FA500 valving

Whiteline Sway Bars, 22mm Front+20mm Rear

Kartboy solid endlinks

Cusco front subframe brace

Whiteline Roll Center Kit

Whiteline caster adding LCA bushings

Whiteline camber adjusting UCA bushings

Exterior

5K HID low beams

3K HID fogs

DIY JDM Legacy STI grill

Tinted rear tail lights (tinted, not smoked)

Rally Armour UR's

Hella horns

11-14 WRX wheels

Interior

AEM digital boost gauge

AEM UEGO gauge

Perrin Steering Column Dual Gauge Pod Mount

White LED's for all interior lighting

OEM Subaru underseat subwoofer

JP Coachworks shift boot and ebrake boot, done in black alcantara with red stitching

Custom machined SI drive cover

Brakes

DBA T3 Street slotted rotors

Stoptech Street Performance brake pads

Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace

Misc

Cusco power steering rack brace

whiteline power steering bushing

STI solid steering linkage

Tuned by STI Mikey on Cobb APv3

• I Donated Too

I have to say thanks to a couple people right off the bat for parts

08BlackWRX (Justin) - The vf52 changed my car

Tommy@Papa Customs - SPT catback sounds perfect

Kojak77 - STI trans mount fit right in there

BMX045 - Gauges look awesome, and satisfy my inner ricer

Max Capacity - ipod kit was exactly what i needed

shtbxr22 - boots will look great

STIMikey - the tune...oh the tune...

And a special shout out to CTSparky, who has put just as many hours into my car as I have, always willing to lend a garage bay and a hand.

• I Donated Too
how do you like the vf52? my 40 is on its way out and i was thinking TGV deletes and either the VF52 or 48

I say stick with the VF52. It's arguably a slightly better design than the VF48. Also, if you're top mount you'd have to swap your intake manifold for an STI manifold, or if you're front mount you need to get the adaptor pipe which means adding more piping.

My ported+polished VF52 spools faster than the stage2 vf39's/48's that the local guys have, and it holds boost surprisingly well. On my automatic legacy with vf46, i was tuned to ~18lbs, tapering to 12 at redline, and now i'm tuned at ~19.5 lbs, tapering to 16 at redline

• I Donated Too
how do you like the vf52? my 40 is on its way out and i was thinking TGV deletes and either the VF52 or 48

oh, and to answer your first question, i LOVE the vf52. I got mine for a wicked steal, which is why I ponied up for the grimmspeed port/polish/coat. If you want to come to one of the weekly manchester meets, i'll let you drive it

• 2 years later...
  • I Donated Too

Ok so it's been a while

I blew my motor on 3/11/2013. Turns out it was a cracked piston, part of it just disintegrated from the valve relief out. No spun bearings, two bent valves.

Two years later, finally came into a spot where i can spend money. Here's what happened

Bought a built longblock out of a 2006 WRX. Rallispec shortblock, clean heads, all the manifolds and accessories still attached. Running when it was pulled, fingers crossed that it's a good motor or I'm going to jump off of a bridge.

What's happening when it goes in? Lots of stuff. I'm pretty excited

Almost brand new 11-14 WRX wheels for some more width

Group N trans mount

Group N motor mounts

Torque solutions pitch stop

Grimmspeed MCB

Cusco power steering rack brace

whiteline power steering bushing

STI solid steering linkage

TGV deletes

Air pump deletes

Invidia equal length race header

Invidia uppipe

Mishimoto turbo inlet

ID1000's

Custom dual catch can PCV setup

ISC coilovers

ACT HD-SS 6MT clutch

I'm also redoing my headlights, and installing a custom grill (homemade JDM replica), and a rear JDM style lip.

So wish me luck. There's a good chance I will screw this all up and the motor will catch on fire then commit suicide.

If it actually runs, it will be improved in almost every way, even above the fact that it's running versus being a paperweight.

• I Donated Too

So this weekend I installed the header, uppipe, new turbo oil lines, started running the lines for the PCV/dual catch can system, removed the sways/endlinks, and dropped the control arms.

I'm going to visit VBerge to press in whiteline bushings/antilift kit for the front, then back in they go with new ball joints.

Have to drop the steering rack and put in whiteline bushings, the cusco steering rack brace, and the STI solid steering linkage.

This week/weekend I should be able to drop the turbo inlet on, pull out the PCV line crap, and bolt on the fuel lines/intake manifold with the new injectors.

Getting closer

• I Donated Too
Sticking with the VF52. It's ported, polished, and coated, and I bet it will do great things with the inlet, EL header, and TGV deletes. I don't have much interest in big power, I just want quick spool and a wide power band.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived