LegacyGT.com

check engine light?

I currently have an 05 lgt, I added a header/up pipe combo and a cobb tuning catless downpipe. I spoke with the people at turbo xs and they said that their ecutek will turn off the check engine light, but it will be stored on the computer. I need to pass emissions in april and I was wondering if there is any way to turn off the check engine light on the car as well as the computer. I put 2 drilled out spark plug defoulers on the second 02 sensor, but I think the light is comming from the first o2 sensor because it came on then I put the header/ up pipe.
05 Legacsti with toys, Efi Logics Tuned, Whitey Built

Have you checked what the code is?

You can clear the code by reseting the ECU, either by pulling the fuse in the engine compartment for it or disconnecting the battery for about 15 to 30 minutes.

Find out the code, post it here, we will try to give you ideas of what could be causing it.

OP wants to pass the emissions test in April.

Based upon OPs post, I am assuming that he has no engine management.

IIRC, TurboXS sells UTEC which is a piggyback. I assume the reference to ECUTEK was in error.

If the emissions test is like WA, all you need to do is disable off the DTC in the ROM. Erasing the CEL using an OBDII scanner won't let you pass emissions. In WA, they check to see how many miles since the ECU has been reset to make sure that any codes that were erased have time to come back.

If all you want to do is disable the DTC, the cheapest solution is to borrow a Tactrix cable. Download your rom. Turn off the applicable DTC codes in your rom and reflash your rom.

I would get rid of the spark plug defoulers at the rear O2. They don't seem to work since they trigger a different code, P2096.

well i did the 2.2 ohm resistor and the light just came back on after being off for 3 days...... its so frustrating, im going to go to autozone to get the code read and see where i can go from there.

since you already did the mechanical fix with the spark plug anti-foulers once you clear the light, it should not come back on unless your upstream o2 went bad. first check the code.. is it P0441? then did you try clearing it and see how soon it comes back or if it comes back at all? you can get OBD2 scanners for under $100 at walmart these days that can read & erase trouble codes

The spark plug anti-foulers don't always work. They'll help you eliminate P0420, but then they can cause a different CEL. I believe it is P2096. Some people don't get it but some people do.

You're wasting your time with the spark plug anti-foulers or spacers. Just borrow a tactrix cable, download your rom, turn off your DTC codes, flash your rom back.

http://www.tactrix.com/

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash

You should find a local suby buddy to help you with this to make sure you do this correctly. It's simple, but there's always a step that people miss.

Some road tuners will do this for you too. They usually charge $150 for a complete road tune. If you only want to turn off the DTC, they may charge less... maybe $40?

You'll have to describe NY emissions test. Is it OBDII only? Is there a visual? Is there a sniffer test? Is there a sniffer on a dyno?

In WA, new cars emission test consist of hooking up the OBDII cable and check for CELs. That's it. So, turning off the DTC in the ROM will prevent the CEL from being thrown and hence pass emission test.

i just ordered the tactrix, i was wondering if i will be able to follow the directions it comes with, if not can someone give me step by step instructions, that would be awesome if someone could do that.

Visual?

You're kind of hosed. The headers are fine, but a gutted stock uppipe, Bosal, or STi uppipe is needed to pass visual. Keep the resistor mod in place.

For the downpipe, you can just swap back your stock pipes.

Damn. Sorry, the tactrix cable won't be much help here.

Archived