LegacyGT.com

Suggestions for fuel injector cleaner?

As the title says, can anyone recommend any decent fuel injector cleaner to add to the fuel tank?

I suspect my valve problems were the result of a poor flowing injector which was replaced. The other three are original still and I wouldn't mind running something through them to clean them.

There aren't any places here that do proper injector cleaning.

Thanks.

I have, in all my current research, determined that if you are thinking that you need to run some cleaner that it might just be time to save to replace them as PM. And the + to that is not having them be the problem when future irritating CEL's pop up!

Just my 2 cents, not that its even worth that.

So is filling up at Chevron (with techron in their fuel) any better than filling up at Esso or Shell?

The car has only ever seen Esso, Shell, Petro Canada or Chevron fuel.

I'm sure they will tell you yes it is.

Most new fuels have cleaning additives in them. You really shouldn't need to add clean often.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
I rarely post on here but having been a rep for 8 different fuel injector cleaners, I can tell you exactly which ones work. Berryman Chem Tooler in the red white and blue can at AZ or O'Reillys for about $4 is the best cleaner there is on the market. Techron runs in second place and works well but if you want to actually see an increase in fuel mileage and feel the difference, try the Berryman. They also have a Total Fuel System Conditioner that works great too, but it's a bit more expensive.

Where is the objective data/evidence that any of these products have substantiated their claims for injector cleaning efficacy? There's federal/state/local no requirement for that, so I request a MythBusters challenge.

Redline SI-1 is the one I use. It's the only one I actually can notice a change in my car. My exhaust (catless turboback) pops on almost all upshifts and downshifts regularly, but after adding this cleaner to my a tank, i get no fireball popping sounds anymore until I finish the tank. :(

No idea if its doing good or bad stuff if my car stops popping, but its the only fuel injector out of the bunch I tried that actually does something.

I know it's easy to be skeptical. I'm exactly the same way and usually have to do things for myself before believing, but when I was a rep, we have done the testing. I have represented 8 different brands including Berryman, and that was the last one we had until I left the rep business. Here's the information and ways to test. Give them a try for yourself and post what you find. I think you'll be quite impressed both by the tests and once you use it in your car.

Polystyrene is the main thing that fouls fuel injectors as a by-product from gasoline. It shows as varnish, which you see on old carbs that have been sitting for a long time. Most FI cleaners are nothing more than kerosene with a tiny bit of diesel fuel mixed in for lubrication (Gumout, STP, Valvoline, etc.) and this has absolutely no solvent properties in regards to dissolving the styrene coating on the injector body and cone. If you want to test for yourself, buy several different types, and buy a can of Berryman. Set up styrofoam cups (polystyrene) one for each bottle, and pour a little bit into each cup. Pour ALL of the others first and when you get ready to pour the Berryman, put the cup in a bucket because it will dissolve the cup instantly and pour straight through. The second test is to find an old carb from a small engine or car that is all varnished up. Pour a little from a bottle in and wait 2 minutes and then see if you can notice any change. Try ALL of the other cleaners first, and then pour the Berryman in and wait 2 minutes. You'll have a clean, varnish free area wherever the Berryman touched the carb.

Run your car down to about 1/4 tank and pour the Berryman in. Drive it until the FUEL light comes on and then fill up with good Mobil or Shell 93 Octane and run that tank just until the FUEL light comes on. You'll notice a big difference for the next 15-20 tankfuls.

By the way, do NOT put this in your tank and let the car sit. It's so damn strong it can cause damage to rubber parts in the gas tank. Also, don't use it more than 15-20 tankfuls, depending on how you drive. It can mess up TPS and IAC motors because it does such a good job dissolving varnish, and too much can also mess with o-rings in the throttle body.

Been there, done that, when I used to get the stuff for free and decided to run a bottle in every tank. Keep eating up IAC on my Chrysler work car about every 15K and finally figured out that while it made my gas mileage go up by 1.5-2 mpg pretty consistently, it was dissolving the insides of the IAC...LOL.

"it will dissolve the cup instantly"

so it's got acetone in it. yes. that's a great short to long chain hydrocarbon solvent. I guess that a risk is that the acetone could damage by (even partial) dissolution of non-metal parts and seals/gaskets.

I run Amsoil P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive every 5k. Still running original fuel pump & injectors. Almost 210k, stage 2+, 18.5 psi of boost, avg. 24 mpg

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/gasoline/p-i-performance-improver-gasoline-additive/

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A lot of you guys are mentioning Techron.

Do you all mean the Chevron Fuel-Injector Cleaner "with Techron additive" or do you mean the one that's actually called "Techron." Just making sure everyone is talking about the same thing.

Archived