LegacyGT.com

Questions on a frankenmotor build

Hello

i just looking for some confirmation on a frankenmotor build

can i use any EJ25D (does year model matter?)

EJ22 Heads (do i have to use a phase 1 head as my current manifold setup is phase 1?)

do i need EJ25 or EJ22 head gaskets?

Would this be the most power gained set up?

Might be able to afford a port and polish and a cam grind

I've spent some time searching but getting a little confused :spin:

Cheers,

Rob

There are some good frankenmotor builds, I have just done one for a friend using a 1996 usdm 25d and 95 22e heads, for that build and your particular question I had cometic make some custom head gaskets for the 25d bore and the extra oil jet in the ej22. The water jackets and oil galleys are the same but because the ej22 has roller rockers there is the extra port on top and in the middle of the head. With that build the compression ratio was bumped quite a bit to around 10:1 and has a ton of high rpm torque.

Another build to think about is 22e block and 25d Dohc heads, that build is chronicled by a couple of people and has good and reliable results probably more than the high compression sohc 25d build. 22e has a short stroke and the 25d heads flow so much better than sohc heads. With the short stroke and good flow your low end torque and power is much better according to the few that have done it.

What I did was just take my 22e pistons out and replace them with eg33 b block dome pistons since the share the same bore, ported and polished my 22e heads i/m runners and throttle body. did a valve lap and Cryo-treated my whole valve train. So I kept my short stroke, built compression and made flow a touch better. I have only a couple hundred miles on that build but the initial test drive was an eye opener. The low end torque was there throttle response was like a 2 stroke dirt bike, i have yet to run it daily as I am doing a few other things to do before I go inspect and register it again.

You can use any ej series block with any ej series head but I would recommend to use your wiring and i/m.

Archived