LegacyGT.com

Whining when turning wheel

I decided to fix the rattle box today by tightening a lot of bolts, and by doing so i think i messed something up... well i DID mess something up.

I turned the car on and i noticed a scraping noise, going in tune with the belts. when i hopped in the car and turned the wheel, i heard what sounded like "chewbacca" (a moaning noise)

I believe i tightened a bolt above the power steering pump? and blew a seal or something because now the hose ( that the bolt is connected to) is leaking fluid on to; what i believe; is the PSP.

Here is a picture to aid my stupidity.

psp.JPG.b1039c6dbd41e74550d98c2a62373b3e.JPG

I make T-Shirts! and I Detail Cars(I'll go to you!) Send me a PM!!

Just check the belt tension for power steering pump first. It may be slipping.

However if the tension is OK then there is a risk that the pressure release valve isn't releasing overpressure. But that's unusual.

Also check the fluid level for the power steering.

453747.png

OK, doesn't sound good. It's probably good idea to have someone look at it.

But check that the tensioner pulley is firmly locked. There are two screws - one for adjusting the tension and one for locking it in place. If you did forget to lock it you may have the problem there.

453747.png

I would guess your power steering pump is seized... what exactly did you tighten? Your description is pretty vague... I'm assuming you still have this car under warranty... I would take it in... my '08 spec b had an issue with the power steering and they replaced the whole rack... but mine was never completely Locked like yours... so can you move the steering wheel when the engine is off and the key is in the ignition (and the wheel lock disabled)?? you should be able to manual turn your wheels... unless something is seriously hosed up... at which point, you deserve a medal ;)... Let us know the outcome! Goodluck!

it is under warranty and im gonna take it in monday, its just something with the pump, cause i can turn it while its rolling like the old style rack and pinion.. i think the bearings are shot. started it up today and the PS fluid got backed up and overflowed..
I make T-Shirts! and I Detail Cars(I'll go to you!) Send me a PM!!

Archived