LegacyGT.com

TOB going bad, new clutch suggestions?

Hi guys,

Well it seems my TOB is going bad at roughly ~70K miles on my '06 GT.

So at this point I'm thinking I'm going to replace the TOB, friction plate, fly wheel, etc. (full clutch job).

The car is currently stage 1 and I don't plan on any upgrades any time soon, so I'm wondering what clutch kits I should be looking at, at this point. I was thinking about just exedy OEM replacement but would be willing to after-market upgrade if it gets me a bit more performance and roughly the same amount of mileage.

Thanks!

Winning the internet

Winning the internet

just replaced mine in my 05 with a whole kit from the 07-09GT. single mass flywheel and everything. so far I love it
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

c-lo, did you replace it with oem '07-'09GT? MY throw out bearing started to make some noise a couple of weeks ago but it wasn't consistent. Today the engine was revving but not too much power to the wheels- the pedal still feels good though. I have an 05 OBxt with 75K, replaced turbo this summer with BNR16g but not looking for much else until deal with the suspension.

I've been getting quotes up to $1700 from Subaru. $600 for labor. That seems pricey to me.

talk to MSprank and go for the Clutchmasters FX300(stock like pedal feel) and Single Mass FW. I have the Exedy Flywheel so it grabs a little more aggressively but still a great setup. Totally liveable for around town. You won't be dissappointed, PROMISE

talk to MSprank and go for the Clutchmasters FX300(stock like pedal feel) and Single Mass FW. I have the Exedy Flywheel so it grabs a little more aggressively but still a great setup. Totally liveable for around town. You won't be dissappointed, PROMISE

I was thinking about Exedy as this is what I put on the wife's 03 WRX.

Did you have to do anything special to fit the SM flywheel on ?

Winning the internet

Did you have to do anything special to fit the SM flywheel on ?

nothing special fitment wise.

To take the dmfw off make sure you get the TP50 socket: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/torx-plus-tp50-bit.html

if you use a T50 socket you'll likely end up in a world of hurt.

Most recommend getting hex head bolts for the smfw, while a good idea, not completely necessary.

Once unbolted, take the dmfw out and replace with the smfw and tighten the bolts

I just had the same thing happen to my 05 LGT @ 77k.

I just finished the break in period of the Exedy Stage 1 Organic, along with the matching lightweight flywheel from Exedy.

Its pretty awesome, my car is pretty much stock at the moment but while it was apart I figured why the hell not. Awesome throttle response and improved shifting.

Also as a unexpected side affect (to me anyways), if you drive the car conservatively with the lightweight flywheel I'm getting better gas mileage, which is great seeing I drive 100 miles a day. But on the flip side its way worse if you push it, but so much fun!

Yeah I ended up pulling the trigger on an FJK1001FW kit from Exedy, basically the same OEM clutch that's in there now, hopefully on this one I get more than ~70K out of the TOB =)

Funny enough though, as soon as the new clutch arrived the TOB noise stopped and the clutch has been acting pretty good. Go figure..

Winning the internet

Make sure to install a TSK3 while you're at it:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-legacy-gt-tranquil-tsk3-sleeve-kit.html

Chances are your TOB has done a number on the snout/quill of your transmission. My original TOB went out at 89K and did some damage. I replaced it w/ a stock weight SMFW and the ACT HD clutch kit. So far, 24K miles and no issues. *crosses fingers*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is it possible that the TOB can go bad while the clutch is good? Reason usually when its cold out after sitting over night it will squeal. Press clutch and it stop. Clutch seems to grab nicely and the rpm's goes with the engine speed. 99k 05OBXT.

Is it possible that the TOB can go bad while the clutch is good? Reason usually when its cold out after sitting over night it will squeal. Press clutch and it stop. Clutch seems to grab nicely and the rpm's goes with the engine speed. 99k 05OBXT.

Absolutely, search around a bit, there was a huge issue of premature TOB failures on the Legacy. Though at 100k on an 05, it may not be premature. It would probably be a good idea to go ahead and replace the clutch when you do it though, no reason not to at that point.

yes the 05 and 06 model years have many reports of TOB failure. in my case the clutch, fly wheel, etc were fine. But i ended up replacing it all because most of the cost involved was just getting to the TOB.

Winning the internet

Here is a odd question BUT are there any manufacturers of BEEFY TOB's ? Or has anyone ever cross ref another TOB that would fit our Legacys? I only ask bc i read of TOB failures frequently and wondering if the TOB is just too skimpy. I will be due up for a clutch on 20-22K miles by my calculations and use of a pen camera with LED :) So of course ill go with a TSK3 but would be nice to future proof the TOB

Archived