LegacyGT.com

Frankenmotor questions

I know there are a thousand threads on this and i have read tons of them. Just correct me if im wrong here:

- 2.2l heads will bolt up to 2.5l block using 2.5l headgasket

- heads must be egr for no CELs and for emissions

- only other things needed are exhaust and intake manifolds (throttle body the same?)

- should make around 180hp due to higher compression

- will run on 91 octane pump gas (or 93 for those of you closer to sea level)

- 2.5l engine harness, emissions components, and vac lines are plug and play for 2.2l egr heads.

Of course im only talking 95-99 engines here. I also cant find any info on cams that will work with everything stock and no wiring to be done. If anyone has info there that would be sweet.

Thanks in advance guys. Sorry if any of this seems like a broken record to you.

The coolant passages are a little different between the two and you can open the gasket or go to Cometic. They have a gasket made for this hybrid.

If the car that it is going into had egr, you should have egr, but there is a workaround for this if not. Do a search to find.

The throttle bodys are the same.

O.

Hi,

I'd also limit your years to '95-'98. '99 was the transition year....Phase 2 blocks w/Phase 1 heads on the Legacy OB and GT - DOHC.

- TPS should be same.

- EGR info workaround - HERE

- Charcoal Canister is in the rear on the 2.5; up front on the 2.2, I believe. Vac lines will need addressed - search on that.

- '95 2.2 is dual-port heads ....'96-'98 are Single. You can reuse your 2.5 exhaust as is w/the '95.

-Cams...searching will find that Delta is generally the 'go to' for their Torque Grind..but I have no experience on a high CR engine.

TD

my recent motor swap was actually a 2.5 block with 2.2 heads, it runs great but i can fell my tranny giving out because of the higher torque im guessing, that and its about to hit 200k. i have a cel that i cannot figure out how to fix it and im guessing its from my heads. my code is p0106 i believe but it has something to do with a vacuum leak or some pressure sensors, everything hooked right up connection wise, im not positive but i believe that the intake manifold is a 2.5 and my stock 2.5 exhaust bolted right up with out a problem. the motor is really fun actually, i can easily spin all 4 in the rain and get sideways if im lucky haha

the ej25 intake manifold will not bolt on to the ej22 heads, 95 - 98.

so you are using an ej22 intake.

depending on your trans, AT vs MT, the clutch might go.

the engine should not make a difference.

p0106 might be a wiring issue,

or it could be a small vac hose not connected,

or or maybe the small filter in the vac hose the runs to the passenger strut tower.

depending on your year of intake there are eithewr 1 or 2 small vac lines running to the passenger strut tower,

where the MAP is located.

and ther could be up to 6 nipples on the intake that need vac hoses.

look underneath the intake from the rear.

if the heads are original to the car,

there will be a vac hose diagram on the under side of the hood.

the charcoal canister move to the rear of the car for both the ej22 and the ej25 in 98.

so if your car is a 98 any intake will work,

you just have to plug any open lines on the 95 - 97 intakes.

if your car is a 95 - 97, netter to use an intake from thoses years.

my tranny is an automatic, ive went through the vacuum hoses several times, even used the carb cleaner trick to hopefully find the leak but i didn't, later i realized that the filter wasn't connected along with a second hose, added the filter and put the hose in the only open spot. the cel was off for a few days then kicked back on. i will look for the diagram when i get home. thanks

Semi-related. Would it be possible to make a frankenmotor with a '99 2.5 block and '93 2.2 heads? Or would that be just too much of a hassle?

I ask because I have '99 2.5 Legacy Outback with bad head gaskets, and a '93 2.2 Legacy with rod knock, and I need to fix one of them.

(I'd like to fix both as they're both solid cars, but I don't know if it's going to happen.)

If you are putting it into the 93, yes. Since your ECU will be looking for the matching pinouts. The wiring etc is too different to go the other route.

Would be less issues to just do an HG replace and other things on the 2.5.

O.

Would it be possible to make a frankenmotor with a '99 2.5 block and '93 2.2 heads?
If you are putting it into the 93, yes. Since your ECU will be looking for the matching pinouts.
if you add an intake from a 95 - 98 ej22 with EGR,

and do the ''work around'',

you could re-install it in the 99 outback.

the only difference in the ej22 93 heads and the ej22 95 - 98 heads is EGR,

none of the 90 - 94 heads/intake have EGR.

some of the 95 - 98 ej22 heads/intake have EGR.

all of the 96 - 98/9 ej25D heads/intake have EGR.

long term, which car is in better shape?

which car would be more reliable?

which more fun to drive?

which serves your needs better.?

Thanks Osel and johnegg, that helps a ton!

As for which car, it really doesn't matter. They're both wagons, so utility is the same, interiors are about the same in regards to wear and tear, the '99 does need a wheel bearing, but everything else seems solid on both. So it will probably come down to which one my sister would prefer. Besides, I'd probably end up sticking the other one in the back for a while, so I could always swap the engine into it should something happen to the fixed one.

Archived