LegacyGT.com

Rattle from rear window

turboman38

Mine does this too and it's driving me crazy. It only happens when the temperature is below freezing, which makes me worry that there is water somewhere inside of my car.

My sound isn't so much a rattle, but rather it sounds like styrofoam rubbing against something... it's almost squeaky. :(

I hate to say this, but my 1995 Legacy with 142k miles has fewer rattles and interior noises than my 4 month old 2005 LGT.

Up here in Alaska you get used to such noises. I didn't even consider it a problem. On my car I've narrowed the options down to ice forming between the glass and the trunk lid, ridgid/frozen trim pieces, and shrinkage due to the cold.

Mine does this too and it's driving me crazy. It only happens when the temperature is below freezing, which makes me worry that there is water somewhere inside of my car.

My sound isn't so much a rattle, but rather it sounds like styrofoam rubbing against something... it's almost squeaky. :(

I hate to say this, but my 1995 Legacy with 142k miles has fewer rattles and interior noises than my 4 month old 2005 LGT.

I just noticed my windshield doing this yesterday a little bit. even better, I called and left a message for the service rep at dulles motor cars and haven't heard back yet:icon_evil

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Kind of a squeak/rattle type noise from the rear drivers's side door window area. Kind of sounds like the noise is coning from higher up on the door, closer to the ceiling. Is this what everyone else is hearing? Also, I wish Subaru would have spent the extra $5 to put a little more sound deadening in the door panels. they seem to have a lot of noise coming from them, particularly when playing any type of bassy music. Might have to invest in some Dynamat.

I have a rattle on my rear window and on my windshield. Only noticed the windshield squeak when it got down below 10 degrees here. The rear was the passenger side pillar. I fixed it by stuffing a Chipotle napkin between the window and the pillar cover. I'll do something cleaner when I have more time over the holiday.

The front is directly in front of the steering column. I can press my hand down and silence it... but it seems deeper than just rubbing on the glass.

I have that annoying cracking sounds... it usually gets less loud as the car thaws out from the heater.... can it be ice foriming around the lining... or can it be the rubber lining cracking ? Whatever it is.. it IS cracking. When i go over a bump it cracks loudly

I have that annoying cracking sounds... it usually gets less loud as the car thaws out from the heater.... can it be ice foriming around the lining... or can it be the rubber lining cracking ? Whatever it is.. it IS cracking. When i go over a bump it cracks loudly

Exact same situation word for word for me as well.

Has anybody taken their car to the dealer to have this looked at. I hate taking any car in for service. I don't trust the dealers. I have worked at a few of them and I know what some of the mechanics do to them on test drives.

I've got the same noise and will not be taking it to the dealer. It only happens when it's cold outside. If I take it to the dealer, the car will sit inside until someone can test drive it, at which point, they won't hear the noise and bob's your uncle.

ignore him, he'll go away.

On my 06 Outback wagon I have tracked my rear rattle to the vertical trim pieces next to the rear hatch window. I still have to determine if it is the trim piece on the hatch or the trim piece next to the side window.

I too have had a mysterious rattle in the rear and I only got it after reading this thread. I took off the vertical trim peices in the back and it's still there. It seem to be coming from inside the plastic facia on the right rear under the window. It sounds like a plastic connector block or something is loose and dinging when going over a bump. I spent a good hour sitting in the back with my son driving to isolate the noise. It's about 10 degrees so i'll keep the stereo loud until it warms up bit.

It seem to be coming from inside the plastic facia on the right rear under the window. It sounds like a plastic connector block or something is loose and dinging when going over a bump.

+1

let us know if you figure out how to fix it

I have this also, driving me nuts. I don't think it is ICE as I park overnight in a garage and have no visible ice in the trunk area.

My friend who was in the back seat the other day says it sounds like it is coming from the trunk.

In my 06 sedan is was actually the headliner. I foled a small piece of paper a few times, and inserted it between the headliner and the roof, dead center over the rear window. Rattle/rubbing noise solved, makes me feel good, because the rattle in a brand new $30K car was driving me nuts. Hope this helps others.

Just FYI... I had a terrible buzz coming from "somewhere" in the fornt of the carr. Thought it was alternately the dash, the door, the instrument panel. Took it into the dealer... turned out to be a fuel line vibrating against the firewall. They put some goo tape on it and all is well.

In other words, these buzzes/rattles/cracks can get damn tricky...

In other words, these buzzes/rattles/cracks can get damn tricky...

AMEN. On my 98 I had a rattle that I swore was in the front dash. I could never find it. Dealer diagnosed it as a cracked strut mount. Problem solved.

• 1 month later...
I too have a strange noise when going over bumps, just like see_obxt has. When i put a wash-spunge inbetween the rear hatch and the right side rearlights it's dead silent. Subaru replaced the plastic panel towards the lights, but the sound is still there. My guess is that the list is to weak so the hatch knocks on the plastic panel/body....

Archived