LegacyGT.com

No dash lights

• I Donated

I had the same problem and it took me FOREVER to figure it out.

Behind the radio, there should be a yellow wire. Its a ground wire for the lights. If you have an aftermarket radio, whoever put the radio in probably cut the wire.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I had the same problem and it took me FOREVER to figure it out.

Behind the radio, there should be a yellow wire. Its a ground wire for the lights. If you have an aftermarket radio, whoever put the radio in probably cut the wire.

I'll have to look for this wire. When we bought it there was the oem radio in it but there is no telling that could be it.

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

In the HVAC I wouldn't be surprised, both my legacys had them blown when I bought them. You might also have a bad dimmer switch.

This is what I was thinking.. but I would hate to replace that whole arm assembly if that wasn't the problem. Is there a way to test the dimmer without removing it? I tested the illumination box under the dash on the panel and it showed it had 13v

Videos -

-

• I Donated

Mine has a bad dimmer switch, I just can't dim them. They will come on though with a bad switch (at least in my case).

I would lean more towards a wiring thing. With cars that are this old, there is no telling what people have done to the electricals over the years.

And one blown bulb is reasonable, but every last one of them is kinda far fetched. There are 10 or 15 bulbs on the back of our gauge clusters. More times then not they will last the life of the vehicle. I have never once had a dash light blow out on me.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Mine has a bad dimmer switch, I just can't dim them. They will come on though with a bad switch (at least in my case).

I would lean more towards a wiring thing. With cars that are this old, there is no telling what people have done to the electricals over the years.

And one blown bulb is reasonable, but every last one of them is kinda far fetched. There are 10 or 15 bulbs on the back of our gauge clusters. More times then not they will last the life of the vehicle. I have never once had a dash light blow out on me.

I pmed you about that yellow wire. I found a whole dimmer/headlight/wiper arm assembly for $50. I just want to troubleshoot before it gets that far.

Videos -

-

• I Donated
Got your PM. Tomorrow after I get off of work I will take a picture of the wire I'm talking about. Its too dark now to get a good enough picture.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I had this problem with my legy. Check to make sure your running lights aren't out as well. I never solved this problem in my car but had concluded it was high resistance (like 20,000 ohms) on the ground wire (Stock stereo). When i took my car to the transmission shop and they couldnt do a TCM reflash they sent it to subaru; who I am assuming is who fixed it...

I had this problem with my legy. Check to make sure your running lights aren't out as well. I never solved this problem in my car but had concluded it was high resistance (like 20,000 ohms) on the ground wire (Stock stereo). When i took my car to the transmission shop and they couldnt do a TCM reflash they sent it to subaru; who I am assuming is who fixed it...

Only time running lights work is when you turn the switch to the on position on top of the column.

Videos -

-

In the HVAC I wouldn't be surprised, both my legacys had them blown when I bought them. You might also have a bad dimmer switch.

When I got my 97 all of my lights were blown. I went to Radioshack and Hobbytown USA to try and find them, but had no luck. Got them at the dealer for $10. Might not be a bad idea to try before spending the time and money on something else.

Only time running lights work is when you turn the switch to the on position on top of the column.

Parking lights, running lights whatever. They stay on all the time if you push that switch. They come on before you turn your headlights on. its the second position on the light/dimmer. just to be clear. when my dash went out they were out too.

Archived