LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy GT Tire question

NYsFinest

but they're not very good all-seasons. I changed mine at 6K miles to the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. I live near to you and had no problems with the Pirellis.

I was thinking of changing the tires actually. Did the Pirelli come w/ rims or you bought the tires, then had them switched to the subaru rims at a local mechanic shop?

Ok, looked at tirerack, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S wasn't listed, the only Michelin Pilot Sport listed that I found was of summer tire, no sport a/s. Anyways, the ones you have looked good, they will definitely be my next set. Thanks again.

Gotcha, did that. The Pirellis look real nice, a bit pricey though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+M550+A%2FS&partnum=145WR7M550XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

The Avon got great reviews and the only one to get a "definitely" when asked if they will use these tires again, and they are only $96 a tire.

The only problem with the Avon's is the fact that they don't last very long, they only have a rating of 360, you should try to get something with a rating close to 500. Go into the TIRE SPECS and you will see all the ratings.

You better off spending a couple extra dollars for something that lasts almost twice as long...

I would go for either one of these:

- Yokohama AVID H4 S, rating of 500

- Kumho Ecsta ASX, rating of 420

Most people seem to be happy with these tires...

I wish I could change mine, I know how bad these RE92's suck, but my wallet does not allow me :icon_neut

If money is no object go with the PIRELLI's, they are probably the best for the money.

The Pirelli's for my tire size has a 400 AAA rating. That good enough?

Well, you have to give up a little for better performance...

Personally, I haven't tried any of these on my car, I am also just going by what TireRack and its users have to say. However, I love shopping around for them :icon_tong !

In my situation I would go with the Kumho, just because they are cheaper and perform almost as well as the Pirelli's ... IMHO

Just mention tires and people will go off on the re-92's. I still have them on my 2k mile "new" car but because of all the negative feedback on these forums, I get constant reassurance that they stink! They do feel mushy in the turns but is that the sidewalls or the soft susp?

~S

Well I value my life, and after reading the reviews on Tirerack of the RE92's, I gotta get new tires and fast, so it'll be a early xmas present to myself.

I only use the car on the weekends, still have yet to hit 3,000 miles and I've had it since May, lol. But I plan on using it everyday to and from work during the winter mainly for the AWD, so no use in having a greaet AWD system if I don't have reliable tires.

Thanks again for all the help, greatly appreciated.

The only problem with the Avon's is the fact that they don't last very long, they only have a rating of 360, you should try to get something with a rating close to 500. Go into the TIRE SPECS and you will see all the ratings.

You better off spending a couple extra dollars for something that lasts almost twice as long...

Ack!!

Personally, I NEVER look for tires with over a 300 rating. Admittedly, though, some of the newer silica-compound tires in a 400-ish rating are decent.

The higher the rating, which is used to get more mileage, the worse the tire performance. If I get 30K miles n a set of tires, I am happy. The best performing summer tires also have the best wet performance. The 80K-mileage tires (I call them "rocks") are for folks like my 88-year-old dad.

From experience of friends of mine, one of the best 400-treadware tires is the BFG KDWS. Folks that I know with track cars use them on their daily drivers, and they even feel that they do OK on the track......for what they are.

The consensus of a/s (all-season) tires is that they are really "no-season" tires. if you are into performance at all, two sets of wheels/tires (three-season and winters) are really the only way to go.

Ron

you can also look at 225/45/17. No problems mounting these also on our rims and no clearance problems. The Michelins don't come in our stock size. use the 225/45/17 size. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Michelin&model=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=245YR7SPORTAS

you can only get the Avons through TireRack. So if you get a bubble (I did on my pirellis), you can't just call around to locate one.

Archived