LegacyGT.com

low profile ramps or low profile jack?

I want to start doing some of my own maintenance. however, I'm lowered and also have a JDM front end. looking at race-ramps I need the ones that they claim need a 7.25" clearance on their angle test (use a yard stick under front wheel and raise it, see how high it gets off ground before hitting underside). if not ramps, I need to find a jack that will fit, and some jack-stands.

i know this is opinion based, but what do you all feel about ramps vs. jacks? any pros/cons to either?

Go to home depot, pick up some 2x8's. make your own, cut two about 4ft long, bevel one edge. cut another two about 3ft long, bevel one edge, attach them on top of the 4ft ones.

cut two pieces 2ft long....get the idea.

Harbor Fright has some nice floor jacks and jack stands too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'm lowered on coils with a lip, and was the same on my previous car.

One low profile HF jack and 2 pieces of wood is all I've ever needed to get anything done.

Drive onto two foot long pieces of 2x8 with the front wheels.

Jack under front, lift, onto jackstands.

Jack under rear, lift, onto jackstands.

Done.

My buddy uses those on his dirt late model. They do a great job of lifting and he made an "X" piece that ties them together so they stay in perfect position so he just drives over them and lines up one spot and the other 3 are all set.

If I needed to choose between the two, I'd get a jack WITH jack stands.

Ramps can be convenient but you can get more done with the jack.

It's going to be near impossible to get the wheels off your car with just ramps.

If I needed to choose between the two, I'd get a jack WITH jack stands.

Ramps can be convenient but you can get more done with the jack.

It's going to be near impossible to get the wheels off your car with just ramps.

The answer is "Both".

You need 2 jacks, 4 jack stands and a set of low profile ramps...or, in a perfect world, a lift...

One floor jack gets you into trouble and two gets you back out ;)

Exactly. A third one comes in handy when the tranny jack, just can't get the right angle. My third one is the small $30 trolley jack.

The answer is "Both".

You need 2 jacks, 4 jack stands and a set of low profile ramps...or, in a perfect world, a lift...

I agree, but if you currently have nothing and don't want to drop $500 to do simple maintenance like a brake job or something, you can easily get by with a jack and two stands.

If you're planning on dropping the transmission in your driveway, then that's a different story.

I'm going to be looking for a new floor jack soon. That one linked here from HF is the one I had my eye on recently.

I'll have two floor jacks, two jack stands and ramps if I grab a new floor jack. Enough to pull a trans in my driveway, yay!! :rolleyes:

Those race ramps look friggin expensive.. Back when I had a lowered car I was able to get by with these yellow ramps with the black ramp extenders for low profile cars.

I agree with others that said both, but If I had to pick between the two, I would probably go with a low profile jack and two jack stands.

ramps.thumb.jpg.7bc81095313c6a8e284f7abeb4f6e405.jpg

I'm going to be looking for a new floor jack soon. That one linked here from HF is the one I had my eye on recently.

I'll have two floor jacks, two jack stands and ramps if I grab a new floor jack. Enough to pull a trans in my driveway, yay!! :rolleyes:

Spend the extra $$$ and get the low tranny jack from HF. I have the $60 one and it needs 7 or 8 inches by it's self. I have four 24" jack stands so I was able to get the car high enough to roll the tranny under car between the LCA and the oil filter area.

IMO a floor jack is not a good tranny jack, I also use a tie down strap in place of the strap that came with the tranny jack.

Do you have blocks of 4x4's(on the floor jacks) to get the car up real high ?

The answer is "Both".

Just saying, if your young and plan to work on your cars...those $900 lifts will pay for themselfs over time. I'm almost 60y/o, those things would have been great to have over the past 40+ years.

My engine hoist has more than paid for itself. It was $199 back about 14 years ago.

Archived