LegacyGT.com

Political Rant: Houise Bll 674 -Will Virginia finally repeal a useless law?

Rimfaxe

I'm do not have strong feelings for or against Radar detectors but I really hate stupid and useless laws that are not designed to serve the public good.

Since moving to Virginia 5 years ago I have marveled how backwards some of the Virginia laws are. Example 1: State run liquor stores (I could buy beer, wine and spirits at the local Vons grocery store where I used to live, or just about anywhere else for that matter). Example 2: The draconian Reckless Driving by Speed law is another perfect example- anything over 80 is automatically a Class 1 misdemeanor that could stay on your record for 12 years and really screw up you life. Its a little ridiculous when everyone is blasting along in the 75 - 80 mph range on the interstates. (Ask anyone in NoVA how THAT laws working for them...)

The prohibition of Radar Detectors is another fine example. Did you ever notice those funny little highway signs shortly after crossing the VA state line that says 'Radar Detectors are illegal' -- the first time I saw that I thought, 'You've got to be kidding!' It was like the voice was saying, "Yeah, welcome to Virginia- Now you watch your step, Boy!" It is true. With all the budget woes going on, bad roads and limited enforcement resources, why are they still clinging to a law that is clearly out of step with the rest of the country?

With all that in mind, I came across the following information the other day:

Virginia State Delegate Joe May (R - Loudoun & Clarke Counties), Chair of the powerful Joint Committee on Technology and Science in the Virginia House of Delegates has introduced legislation, HB 674, a bill that would repeal Virginia's radar detector ban.

The proposal to end Virginia's ban on radar detectors passed the House Transportation Committee which voted 11-10 to advance Delegate Joe May's legislation to a floor vote before the full Assembly.

Proposed House Bill HB 674 – 2010 Virginia State General Assembly A BILL to repeal 46.2-1079 of the Code of Virginia – repeals prohibition on the use of radar detectors in motor vehicles.

I would be interested to hear any constructive debate on this issue.

If you live in Virginia and would like to contact your legislator, here is the Virginia General Assembly Legislator lookup:

http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform

Or call (804) 698-7410 or toll free at (888) 892-6948 or (877) 391-FACT (3228)

I am not sure if you saw the other bill but, the speedlimit may also go to 70 MPH in some rural areas :)

Is Virginia really starting to turn around? The second radar detectors are legal I am buying one (actually I am buying one anyways)!

I am not sure if you saw the other bill but, the speedlimit may also go to 70 MPH in some rural areas :)

Brilliant, so they raise the speed limit and keep the Reckless Driving by Speed @ 80 mph or above. This should generate a LOT more revenue for the Commonwealth.

I'm all for raising the speed limit on some of the roads where safety permits, but this would provide a more narrow margin for potentially exceeding the magic 80 mph and the fallout:

getting slapped with huge fines, court costs, legal costs, a possible permanent criminal record, points on your license for 12 years, possible loss of security clearance, raised car and boat insurance, etc.

I'm fortunate that this has never happened to me, but I was surprised when I learned of the possible consequences of getting caught going just 15 mph over the posted speed limit on the interstate. Raising the limit and not adjusting the Reckless Driving limit accordingly is just another way to separate hapless drivers from their money IMO.

Brilliant, so they raise the speed limit and keep the Reckless Driving by Speed @ 80 mph or above. This should generate a LOT more revenue for the Commonwealth.

Great minds think a like, that was my first reaction as well haha. They would have to make reckless at least 85 mph on those roads :spin:

AWDxBoost, Hows it going man I sold my legacy a few weeks ago, help me find me a worthy replacement :)

I went out with a chick who had knockers as big as those in your avatar. She planned on getting reduction surgury once they started sagging.

Timing is everything. And yes, gents, they really are fun.

Oh the joys of being a mammal! its a beautiful thing. It was actually a picture of the CN Tower in Toronto. If you look closely, you can see it on the left side over her shoulder. Oh.....Canada!

They did pass the speed limit bill, which is funny because one of the candidates for governor was pinched for speeding during the campaign season on a rural highway. If only he had a radar detector...

Personally, I hope they pass the radar detector bill too. There is nothing more embarrassing than coming back into the state and seeing a trooper on the state line scanning for detectors. It caused a three mile long back up into North Carolina.

Great minds think a like, that was my first reaction as well haha. They would have to make reckless at least 85 mph on those roads :spin:

AWDxBoost, Hows it going man I sold my legacy a few weeks ago, help me find me a worthy replacement :)

aww why'd you sell it? well hit me up and let me know what you're lookin for, im sure we can find a worthy candidate

The best part about the state liquor stores in Virginia is they are only open when you're at work. And you can get all the beer and wine you want at a 7-11 or supermarket. Virginia used to stake out the liquor "supermarkets" in DC and nail the customers upon returning to the Commonwealth....until the stores got an injunction served.

• 2 weeks later...
Now if only the Virginia Sate Police would stop acting like Hitler's SS! I love it when those good ole boys make assumptions about me and profile young drivers. My favorite part was when a cop pulled me over for speeding up to pass someone and immediately accused me of reckless driving and abusing a hot car that mommy and daddy had bought me. I was maybe 24 at the time and bought my 2005 Legacy GT Limited brand new after having saved up for a $15K down payment for two years. After he ran a check on my car and saw that it was registered and titled in my name, I explained to him that I purchased the car without any help from mommy and daddy and that some people actually work hard for their nice possessions. I wound up getting off with a warning because the cop had not yet turned on his camera and had no tangible proof.

Just wanted to share some input....spread the word of how seriuose Va handles speeding. I am a maryland driver , I was on my way home from a girls house in Fairfax...on 495. It was about 3am...not a soul on the road at this time....I was driving my 00 Honda S2000....I know i was speeding clear night open road...why not right? Little did i know the consequences. I had accelerated to 95mph fairly easily. I let off and chilled at about 70. About 2 miles later i was pulled over by 2 Va state police. They got me with radar... I was asked to step out of my car , i was cuffed , searched , interageted and released with a court date. They were going to impound my car and lock me up. They didnt cuase i was out of state resident.The court date comes , i have a lawyer. I am charged with the class 1 mistameanor reckless driving , I am sentanced to 1 day in jail per every mph over 90....i get 5 days , a 300$ fine and i had to drop 950$ on a lawyer....i also got a 1 year liscense suspension in va..little strict huh? at this point i am in shock...:eek:..i didnt think what i had done was so bad....so to all the racing/car enthusiest out there.....just try and reframe from speeding in va.....its just not worth it.....

Reading the original post, Virginia sounds an awful lot like Canada.

Example 1 and example 2? Yup!

Except we have 7 Provinces where Radar Detectors are illegal, and the 3 western ones allow them. Go figure.:lol:

Just wanted to share some input....spread the word of how seriuose Va handles speeding. I am a maryland driver , I was on my way home from a girls house in Fairfax...on 495. It was about 3am...not a soul on the road at this time....I was driving my 00 Honda S2000....I know i was speeding clear night open road...why not right? Little did i know the consequences. I had accelerated to 95mph fairly easily. I let off and chilled at about 70. About 2 miles later i was pulled over by 2 Va state police. They got me with radar... I was asked to step out of my car , i was cuffed , searched , interageted and released with a court date. They were going to impound my car and lock me up. They didnt cuase i was out of state resident.The court date comes , i have a lawyer. I am charged with the class 1 mistameanor reckless driving , I am sentanced to 1 day in jail per every mph over 90....i get 5 days , a 300$ fine and i had to drop 950$ on a lawyer....i also got a 1 year liscense suspension in va..little strict huh? at this point i am in shock...:eek:..i didnt think what i had done was so bad....so to all the racing/car enthusiest out there.....just try and reframe from speeding in va.....its just not worth it.....

I think they single out drivers of imports - these good ole boy rednecks would never pull over an F-Body or Corvette or Hemi. I had a coworker who is in his late thirties driving in his C32 AMG and was pulled over in VA. The cop was complaining about stupid kids in their hot imports. The funniest thing is that my coworker, while he may look younger than his age, was probably only a few years younger than the cop. There is clearly a bias amongst VA cops and they seem to profile based on age and the type of car you drive. I have never experienced this nor heard about similar experiences in any other nearby states.

Archived