LegacyGT.com

Brake Caliper Bolts ARE ROUNDED

Hi,

I am trying to remove the 14mm bolts that hold the brake caliper. I rounded a couple of them and I dont know how to take them out. Is there a special tool for this? Spiral sockets? Do they loan these tools out at auto parts stores? This is a 96 legacy L.

Vice grips and PB may work. heat won't do for you'll melt the rubber off of the bolts and the rubber on the end of the slider.

Sometimes a smaller (13mm) may pound on and give you grip.

If all else fails, you'll need the stripped bolt remover by Irwin and others.

O.

DS. vise grips and orient so you are tightening and use a piece of pipe over the handle for more leverage. Be generous with the PB and hit the end of bolt after applying to try and get some into threads.

Alternatively you can drive a 6 pt socket onto the stem.

PS.Vise grips again. Very tight and a strong bar to pry against it to pull the bolt loose. PB and back and forth motion should break the dried lube grip.

As a last resort you can use heat, but you'll need the rebuild kit that has the boots and seal.Crack the bleeder valve,so hot fluid is not trapped. When finished run new fluid though that caliper as the fluid in it will be shot.

O.

It will slide out all the way. Pull harder.

I pulled as hard as I could for like 20 minutes. and I'm not weak. but even if I got it out, the other one is broken off inside so I still can't get the bracket off to change the rotor either way.

PS.Vise grips again. Very tight and a strong bar to pry against it to lever the bolt loose. PB and back and forth motion should break the dried lube grip.

As a last resort you can use heat, but you'll need the rebuild kit that has the boots and seal.Crack the bleeder valve,so hot fluid is not trapped. When finished run new fluid though that caliper as the fluid in it will be shot.

O.

If you get one out the caliper will swing.

I pulled as hard as I could for like 20 minutes. and I'm not weak. but even if I got it out, the other one is broken off inside so I still can't get the bracket off to change the rotor either way.

You said caliper. Not mounting bracket.

Which one is it? The bolts that mount the caliper to the mounting bracket? Or the ones that mount the bracket to the knuckle?

You need some heat and might be able to pound on a socket just a hair too small and use the impact. Be tricky using the heat tho on those bolts and not killing a bearing or something else close by.

Archived