LegacyGT.com

Postal 4EAT to 5MT swap is back on track. Need some help.

Well after a YEAR looking for a set of pedals, I found them. Now I'm at the point where I need a clutch fork. My donor car is a 1995, but it uses a cable clutch. Now I've got a few things I need to know. Can I just get a fork for a hydro clutch and swap it out, or will I need another clutch? I don't see why way thing would be different.

i would look and see on the firewall of it even had the opening for the master cylinder.. it should be up near the drivers side strut tower on the firewall..

if you dont have that get ready for a BITCH of a time getting those three holes drilled with zero reference point.. I used AutoCAD.. good luck

That's long since been covered. All the holes were there and ready with nothing but a plug over them. I'm also talking about a RHD car that I'm installing the 5MT into. The hole is right next to the middle motor mount on the firewall, just to the left of the brake booster.

IIRC, your clutch fork will need the pivot ball installed in the correct location. It's not just about swapping the fork. There's also two types of Subaru clutches, push and pull type. Don't know what you have. Sorry I'm not more help. Check out this stickied thread and maybe ask your question there. It seems the Push/pull change was in the 1998 model year.

Steve

It's on now. Got a clutch fork and slave cylinder from the junkyard today. I'm diving head first into this project starting this evening.

One thing I've got to figure out is the final drive ratio in both cars. I would like to NOT have to swap the rear diffs if possible. Are there any markings on the rear diff that say what it is?

I have not been able to find any info on the numbers on diff's that tell what they are. I have been just going off of the number on the transmission and the gear ratio according to that. I wish there was a good reference for what the numbers on the diff itself stand for.

From what I found there are stickers on the diffs. T-1 is a 3.90 diff and T-2 is the 4.11. My postal had T2 and my donor had T1. I went ahead and swapped the diffs anyway.

The car is done and on the road now. I've had to learn manual all over again to shift with my left hand.

Did you install the shift linkage yet? I was wondering if you could post some photos of your shift linkage? I just installed the linkage in the Streetfighter but it seems very soft and squishy... I know its not bolted to the gearbox yet but I just want to make sure im not missing anything here....

I know when I installed the short shifter in the 11 WRX the shift linkage was solid, but the one on the Leggy here kinda sinks down a bit, and doesnt feel solid.

Put a pic of yours up. Mine is all installed and the car is on the ground now, so kinda hard for me to get a pic.

It will be kinda floppy until you get the other end bolted up to the transmission.

Well I never removed mine from the transmission, so I never had to deal with that. It did sag a lot when hanging off the back of the trans, so I could how it would sag from the other end as well.

Archived