LegacyGT.com

So you got 6K off!?!

Mothball

I have been reading the various posts about the deals that people are getting on the left over 05's. A dealership in town has exactly the car I want and the sticker is $27,383. If I've interpreted what everyone is saying here correctly they have been getting LGTs with stickers of around 29K for 23-24K. By that logic I should be able to get this car for around 22K then? They would only come down to about 25K for me and I know they are just screwing with me to see if I'll bite. I feel a little silly lowballing them that low at 22K but if that's really what they're selling for then I'll play the game all the way! Do you really think that I can get it that cheap? It has been sitting on their lot for over a month though so maybe....

Thanks for any help you can give.

I don't know what to really tell you, I purchased my LGT limited wagon 5 speed, when there was a 2K consumer rebate and a $1500 SOA to dealer rebate. The MSRP was 30,955 and I walked away 27K out the door (not including tax and registration). I used Edmunds with a zip code to find out what others were paying in the area and I paid about 500 more, but my limit was 27K and I didn't feel like arguing/fighting for $500 because they threw in an extended drivetrain warranty to 100K and 1 year mainteance.

I would suggest checking edmunds and see what they say. I remember reading that all offers for Septemember remained for October, but I bought my car in NY and they use a different distributor than the rest of New England and I think the rest of the U.S.

I car is only worth what you are willing to pay for it, plain and simple. Don't worry what other people got theirs for, if you are happy with the price and can afford it, then go for it.

As a Canadian, I can't comment on the USD deals that other members got, but I do know that we're almost into November for goodness sake and the '06's have been on the lot for a while now...

That being said, if you are a good negotiator, and you have the CASH (or bank financing) to take it from them clean, they might sell it to you for invoice or darn close to it... if you plan to lease, I would see them as being less flexible to big discounts.

I bought mine in Feb 2005 when there were no 'serious' discounts to be had! But I couldn't wait.

Good luck!

We know the dealer and there a 1500 special applying. Mine was supposed to be $29+ not including tax but he gave it to us at invoice then put that on top of it. The end result was 24,450 for a Black on Taupe 5 speed momo PEG1 spoiler equipped 05 LTD or was it 25? I dont remember but it was definitely under retail :-) My cousin bought a silver one because he liked mine alot but the same dealer could only give it to him for invoice because the special wasn't running anymore

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not too shabby a negotiator and I've seldom had any difficulty getting a car for invoice but that far under sounded more like a GM deal than ANY import. Good point about the '06s being out for a while too. I think if it's still there in a couple of weeks I just might have the leverage to steal it from them! God! I can't wait to join this community for real. I've been lurking far too long! :)

Is this a limited or non-limited? I got my non-limited in July for $23,100 (before tax). If yours is a non-limited as well I think you can probably squeeze for 22k. Not sure about getting a limited for that price though.

It also depends on your area and dealerships. The thing is, if you want a really good deal you have to be prepared to walk away from the car. If the salespeople suspect that you really want that car, they'll be that much harder to bargain down.

Good luck and keep us updated!

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I was running around town yesterday and passed a Subie dealer anddecided I needed a little my seat time in a LGT. The car was a black '05 GT LImited 5-speed with the taupe interior. the only options were the rear spoiler and the home link mirror. Sticker was around $30,500. The salesman was really cool and let me take the car out alone (I hate when they come along) and when I returned he had worked up some numbers. Starting at invoice $27,975 he then took off $572 (dealer holdback) $1500 (customer cash) and then an additional $500 (dealer cash) which got it down to $25,403. This was with me doing absolutely no hagglin. I am thinking I could have drove it home for under $25,000.

Do the invoice and dealer holdback sound about right? I seem to remember Consumer Guild listing invoice at $26,something.

Holy freakin' cow! If that's for real then that is an incredible deal! I'm feeling pretty confident now that's for sure.

The car I'm talking about is a non-limited model...just exactly the way I want it but I most certainly will not get screwed on any deal. I am perfectly capable of walking away. I might just have to pay them another visit this weekend and tease them a bit. If they go that low I'm signing! If not, I will check back at the end of the month to see if they sing any different tunes.

Thanks again for all the input. It's been very helpful!

Where in the U.S. are you located? There are different factory incentives in different parts of the country. For example, the current incentive for an '05 in the northeast is $2000, or a low interest rate. In addition, in the northeast, the dealer holdback is 4%.

This means that the dealer can sell the car to you at invoice minus the $2000 rebate (before taxes and such, of course), and still make a modest but tidy sum on the purchase.

I actually purchased mine for somewhat less than invoice minus $2000. I probably could have negotiated for lower, but the number given to me was within my range.

So, take invoice, subtract the dealer incentive in your area, subtract $500 or so from that, and use that as your starting point.

I have been reading the various posts about the deals that people are getting on the left over 05's. A dealership in town has exactly the car I want and the sticker is $27,383. If I've interpreted what everyone is saying here correctly they have been getting LGTs with stickers of around 29K for 23-24K. By that logic I should be able to get this car for around 22K then? They would only come down to about 25K for me and I know they are just screwing with me to see if I'll bite. I feel a little silly lowballing them that low at 22K but if that's really what they're selling for then I'll play the game all the way! Do you really think that I can get it that cheap? It has been sitting on their lot for over a month though so maybe....

Thanks for any help you can give.

might as well tell them 22..if they dont go for it..walk away and if you really will pay the higher price call them back after about 1 and a half or 2 weeks..just give them enough time to call you back and offer a lower price, but not so long they sell it off.

Well another thing to consider is your trade-in. I got my '05 non-limited GT a couple weeks ago (last week in september?) for $23,700 before tax & reg. The only option is a spoiler. That is about $200 more than invoice, minus the $2000 rebate.

HOWEVER, I think I got a fantastic deal because the dealership completely paid off my trade. And I was expecting to have to pitch in an extra $1000-$1500 to pay off my old car.

So to me, it's like I got the new car for $22000 - 22500. Completely worth it.

The trade-in is just another item that you can leverage in your negotiation. A salesman might be more willing to give you a better deal on your trade than he is to take $$ off the new car.

Hello consumer. And I say unto you, please use exact change.

This is my shark.

Keep working them on the price. They should be real motivated to the move the car. I picked up an LGT Sedan 5MT Limited with the "Perf package 1" (STi short throw shifter, pedals, momo knob) for $24.3K like 3 weeks ago in Chicago.

Hey TypeRx. My salesperson was frank fernandez. I'm not too happy right now. I got the car for $24,500, but that's the non-limited version with automatic. i really wanted the limited but it couldn't get it because they didn't have any 2005 legacy GT limited. I'm scared to go with the aftermarket sunroof and leather. I'm gonna talk to him today to see if we can work something out so that i can get maybe an '06.

I was running around town yesterday and passed a Subie dealer anddecided I needed a little my seat time in a LGT. The car was a black '05 GT LImited 5-speed with the taupe interior. the only options were the rear spoiler and the home link mirror. Sticker was around $30,500. The salesman was really cool and let me take the car out alone (I hate when they come along) and when I returned he had worked up some numbers. Starting at invoice $27,975 he then took off $572 (dealer holdback) $1500 (customer cash) and then an additional $500 (dealer cash) which got it down to $25,403. This was with me doing absolutely no hagglin. I am thinking I could have drove it home for under $25,000.

Do the invoice and dealer holdback sound about right? I seem to remember Consumer Guild listing invoice at $26,something.

Hey Cincinnati!

For a 5-speed manual, Holdback is 2% of base MSRP (don't include freight in the calculation) and Market Assistance is 2% of base MSRP...so adding both, you get 4% of base MSRP. If the GT Ltd sedan you looked at has a base MSRP of $28,595 (using Sept '04 pricing), then the figure is $1144. Hope this helps.

I have found that the best way to get the best price is to go past the salesmen and go directly to the fleet/wholesale manager for a price.

Also, the internet person at any dealership can fetch a pretty good price, and you can e mail many dealerships at a time. Try a 100 mile radius and let them do the "beat the other dealership" game.

I got my 05 LGT with spoiler , factory short shifter, auto dimming compass rear view mirror for $22,680 in August in Portland, OR at Carr Subaru

Mike

My local dealer has an ad in the newspaper for a new leftover '05 LGT sedan for $22,995. I'm not sure exactly how it's equipped, but I'm assuming it's a non-limited model with 5MT. The sticker price had to be at least $27K.

The absolute most you should have to pay is invoice minus the current $1,500 customer cash (though you can't get a low APR if you take the customer cash). Invoice for a non-limited GT with a sticker of $27.3K should be around $25.2K, so you should easily be able to get it for $23.7K with the customer cash. If you can't get it for that, go to another dealer, even if it is out of state.

I went shopping today for an Outback for my wife, and the dealer gave us a quote right of the bat of $23.9K for a new '06 with a sticker price of $26.8K. That is invoice ($24.9K) minus the $1,000 customer cash, which is $500 less than they are giving on '05's.

Ugh. I was very sick all weekend so I didn't get the chance to go to the dealership. I'm thinking that my target date is October 29th. That is the last weekend of the month. They do tend to be more motivated around that time plus the car will have been sitting on the lot for quite a while.

I'm trading in my '04 Accord. What is it with us Honda guys going subbie? :)

It's called Passion, Honda's are nice and reliabile and do what they were built to do well, but so many of them are lacking in the personality department. Then you go to Subaru, you get almost the same reliability and heck of a lot of personality in your car. It's the difference of getting their safely, and getting their safely with a big smile on your face.

Good luck on your purchase.

Ugh. I was very sick all weekend so I didn't get the chance to go to the dealership. I'm thinking that my target date is October 29th. That is the last weekend of the month. They do tend to be more motivated around that time plus the car will have been sitting on the lot for quite a while.

Are you concerned about getting hosed on your trade-in? It's an '04? You must have "boost disease" worse than I do! :lol: I'm still trying to hold out. Good luck!

I got a pretty smokin' deal on my Accord and if I can get them to simply give me straight up trade-in value I think we can work the deal. It might not be the most absolutely financially responsible thing to do but I just hurt every time I send in a payment on a car I know I'm not going to keep.

Yeah, boost owns me! :)

Archived